Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • Are there bike skills courses on all dodgy sink estates?
  • binners

It’s the only explanation I can find as to why every hoodied scrote you see seems to have the ability to effortlessly wheelie a stolen Specialized Rockhopper like they’re Dougie bloody Lampkin, for miles at a time. All while smoking a spliff and simultaneously texting their dealer.

Bastards!

hypnonewt
    Free Member

They just have no sense of self preservation and nothing to damage when they crack their head so the fear of falling does not kick in like it does with us.

mr-potatohead
    Free Member

Back on the mean streets of Ramsbottom !!!!!!!!

BikePawl
    Free Member

It’s natural selection, those that can wheelie get to breed, those that can’t don’t. After a few generations they can all wheelie.

orangespyderman

They just have no sense of self preservation and nothing to damage when they crack their head so the fear of falling does not kick in like it does with us.

I think a lot of them have absolutely nothing at all better to do either. If I could spend a few solid weeks practicing wheelies up and down the street I’d be really good better than I am, too 😀

toby1

Somers town in Camden for sure, seen some epic wheelies there recently. Also saw a kid trying on a Boris bike, safe to say he didn’t fair well.

Stevet1
    Free Member

It’s natural selection, those that can wheelie get to breed, those that can’t don’t

May be some truth in that, I saw a lad trying to wheelie down the main road last week. He came off the back and a passing car had to swerve to narrowly avoid him.

binners

I’m in the saaaaarfside badlands in Whalley Range Mr P. Where all 15 year olds appear to travel around on one wheel as a matter of principle

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

It’s natural selection, those that can wheelie get to breed, those that can’t don’t. After a few generations they can all wheelie.

Darwinism innit!

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

You mean there are parts of Camden that the hipsters haven’t gentrified yet?

😀

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

I recall seeing a ned who was year above me at school, jumping off said school roof on a bmx. Was about 25ft high, didn’t end well.

Saying that, same ned once had a shot of my racer (as we called them then) and wheelied it round the bmx track.

wwaswas

Cambden that the hipsters haven’t gentrified yet?

Gentrified it? They’ve never even heard of it…

freeagent
    Free Member

No different in the leafy suburbs of the beautiful South.

Every 13 year old on an oversized Carrera hardtail seams to be able to pull endless wheelies.

canopy
    Free Member

all that time not doing anything worthwhile lets them hone their skills at the local skatepark trying to impress 12 year old girls

toby1

You mean there are parts of Camden that the hipsters haven’t gentrified yet?

One of the small green spaces left for the locals (Purchese st park) is about to be re-purposed into a skyscraper. I don’t envy anyone who lives round there, it’s not pretty, but I don’t believe they deserve the reputation they have either.

The gentlemen are coming.

faustus

I get envy every time I see this too, but I console myself that I could whip them all on a proper mtb trail…doing ‘real’ biking 😉

dknwhy

It’s pretty standard. At that age, I’d never seen anything like it. Then I went down to a council estate near Christchurch, Bournemouth and made friends with a new bunch of kids from the estate. They’d built a set of doubles, and lit a fire in the middle. Was one of my best summers ever.

yunki
    Free Member

when I was a kid in the 70s, pretty much anyone worth their salt could wheelie at least the length of the street, 180 endo and 180 bunnyhop…. we always had a gap jump built of milk crates and pilfered boards that could be dismantled and rebuilt in seconds by a well trained team if a car ventured down the street

nuffins changed as far as I can see (‘cept that I can’t wheelie for toffee these days)

kerley
    Free Member

It is in line with a lot of the skateparks and BMX tracks being located in same place to hone the skills. Although thinking about it they are mainly used as hangouts for underage drinking/smoking.

The upper middle class kids will be too busy sailing and riding their horses to worry about skateboards and BMXes…

MrOvershoot

I work on the edge of sunny Toxteth and your right Binners I can’t remember the last time I saw anyone under 16 ride a bike past our gates on both wheels, usually on a high spec Cube or Specialized that obviously wasn’t bought for them.
    In fact last week one lad was seen to glide past on a very blinged up Santa Cruz while taking pictures on his phone, its not fair I can barely get the front wheel 5mm off the deck for 1/2 second 🙁

duncancallum

I’m not cawncill but I can wheelie. It was that or exam revision. N look where that life choice got me….*

*In hindsight they might of had a point at school. The phrase of he has the ability he just needs to apply himself haunts my days at work

yunki
    Free Member

genuine question for the baffled….

what the hell were you doing with your spare time as a youth if you weren’t practising riding your bike like a boss?

monkeysfeet
    Free Member

Best way to show Tracey/Sandra just how virile they are.
    Plus the static off the kappa/ addidas/Nike trakky assist in the wheel lift.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

They were all at chess/computer club ‘cos they weren’t allowed out witout their mums. I spent my pre-teen years trying to do wheelies – still can’t. 🙁 May as well have been playing chess.

Lawmanmx
    Free Member

Oy, you lot, stop moaning about the kids who have had nothing better to do than practice wheelies up and down the streets until they become Experts at it and start Practicing it yourselves! im 51 now and was one of them little council est scrotes who could wheelie at an early age (because i had nothing else to do when i was 10) it all sounds like Jelousy because You can’t be arsed to learn em to me, Lol
    and just to rub it in ….. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URc5hXfQtIs 😆

toby1

what the hell were you doing with your spare time as a youth if you weren’t practising riding your bike like a boss?

Playing with RC cars, working with a parent, either office based or electrical depending on which parent. Cooking (or more likely eating) I was a kid who grew up quick and I lived on a main road in Watford, crossing it at lights was dangerous enough, trying to ride on it would have been mental.

Still trying to wheely even struggle on my cruiser bmx 🙁

Stoner
    Free Member

what the hell were you doing with your spare time as a youth

If I said studying, this thread might take a challenging turn 😉

bikebouy
    Free Member

It happens everywhere, wheelies that is.

Yesterday whilst coming off Hayling Island, near West Town, a yoof just out off school wheelied across the road in front of me whilst his backpack rubbed on his rear wheel, then up the kerb across the grass near the pub, and headed off towards Jewsons. All that on one wheel for about 500-600mtrs over all sorts of terrain.

It
    Was
    Cool

binners

Just to widen the debate a bit…

I’d say that skateboarding is far more the domain of nice middle class kids, from leafy suburbs, ‘hanging out’ in town on a Saturday.

They are all, without exception, absolutely, completely and utterly shit at it!

Maybe rad skillz are a genetic thing derived from inhailing Lambert and Butler in the womb

yunki
    Free Member

They are all, without exception, absolutely, completely and utterly shit at it!

our locals 🙂

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8TXW-lTTE1I[/video]

dknwhy

yunki – Member

Playing Warhammer 😳

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

yunki – Member

[playground]

Your mum.

[/playground]

😉

binners

duncancallum – Member

I’m not cawncill but I can wheelie. It was that or exam revision. N look where that life choice got me….*

You’ve definitely got caaaaaaahncil haaaaaaaarse blood in you with your wheelying capability?

Or can it be picked up by osmosis from too much time drinking in flat-roofed pubs?

yunki
    Free Member

your mum

duncancallum

Never drank in a pub with a flat roof.

Grew up in Liverpool post code though…

Mtbing in the flattest area of the north west you sort of have to make your own fun.

Still can’t **** manual though

jekkyl

dam yowse guys is so past it, check out youtube for ‘bikestormz’ and ‘bikelife tv’ where gangs of yoofs meet up, generally in London man to ride the back wheels of their bikes innit blood, smoke da herb n’ listen to bangin tunes.
    for eg:
    [video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0EXEmswJzhI[/video]

it’s a movement innit blood and ne’er a helmet to be seen.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘Are there bike skills courses on all dodgy sink estates?’ is closed to new replies.