Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)
  • Are the MOBO awards racist?
  • derek_starship
    Free Member

There aint no MOWOs.

What prompted this question? Denise Lewis (Olympic heptathlete and Dame) is on All Star Family Fortunes tonight and her and family are playing for the African and Caribean Leukaemia Fund.

If David Seaman was on there and said he was playing for the White Autism Society*, there'd be an issue.

Discuss

*not a real charity but you get my drift.

bikemonkey
    Free Member

I believe the term is 'positive discrimination'. IMHO, racism will only stop when people don't see someone's skin colour as important or relevant.

There's a Black Police Officer's Association dont'cha know, how does it feel to a white Officer to be refused membership?

brakes
    Free Member

the MOBOs are a celebration of a culture and the music that came from it, not the race

the charity you mention is for the benefit of those in a particular geography and not based on discriminating by race

and it's not positive discrimination either

tails
    Free Member

yeah you can win a mobo if your white i believe. although i have thought this before, i guess generally whites don't give a shit about there skin colour.

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

No

notlocal
    Free Member

This sort of thing amuses me. I agree totally . I'm also slightly perturbed by employers who try to fill ethnic quotas in their workforce, rather than appointing the best candidate, regardless of ethnicity. HM Forces, Police etc all spring to mind.

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

+1 Brakes.

"Are the MOBO awards racist?" Ffs! 🙄

jim29
    Free Member

Its the music that has black origin, not the artist; hence the many white winners over the years…

Nico
    Free Member

In the states they have country music charts. And R 'n' B charts. Or something. Never quite understood it but I guess if you are just keen on one type of music you probably want to put a filter on to stop other types of music getting into your life. Arguably nearly all pop music is of black origin though the blues would be much poorer without the contribution of Jewish musicians. Strange Fruit indeed.

web_toed_marsdener
    Free Member

notlocal, what **** does that have to do with the MOBOs?

john_drummer
    Free Member

I guess technically all "popular music" in the west these days is MOBO.
    (Except maybe Country. Or Western.)

Seeing as from the 30s onwards Jazz led to The Blues led to Rock'n'Roll, one or more of which led onto everything else since*, in one way or another…

* NB this is a huge generalisation but you get my drift

MrAgreeable

It's a subdivision that is used for marketing purposes, nothing to do with racial equality or shutting out whitey. One of the first years they ran it, the best album award was won by Alvin Stardust's son.

lyons
    Free Member

i think the point is, what is the point in calling it BLACK music then, if its for all races? Why not just call it music?

westkipper
    Free Member

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here, but I think one reason why there is that specific charity that Denise Lewis is supporting, is that leukaemia requires bone marrow transplants and there is a smaller pool of potential donors for mixed race and Afro caribbean people in the UK.
    So promoting it as a separate entity is only a good thing.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Ditto for Blue music too.

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

Brakes already said it, but some didn't get it, so I'll repeat. Africa and the Caribean are places, not races.

OldGitSurrey
    Free Member

Good luck to anyone who organises a MOWO award, then! :mrgreen:

IanMunro
    Free Member

It's called the Proms 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

MOBOs are essentially harmless, they have demonstrated well that the awards are inclusive and not discriminatory.
    Ethnic employment quotas etc are just plainly racist and should be withdrawn ASAP.

TijuanaTaxi
    Free Member

There's a Black Police Officer's Association dont'cha know

Bet they don't need a very big table to sit round, something like the average dining type would probably suffice

It's called the Proms

Or if you believed some people the Nuremberg Rally what with all that patriotic fervour and flag waving

lyons
    Free Member

ok, for what its worth, I dated(For a short period) a girl from somalia, and we talked about this. Maybe a better example would be the bbc's Radio one extra, the 'black music staion'. Fine, i couldnt care less about that, but if i started a radio staion where the catch line was 'the Caucasian music station', I would at least be accused of racism. That is what i think is wrong, and the girl i mentioned, felt the same. She was actuallly the one who brought it up.

westkipper
    Free Member

Rightplacerighttime, thats, how my mate Evan (half Jamaican, Half Scottish) describes himself so I'm assuming that not everyone takes it as an insult.(Any different to Anglo-Scottish?)
    Most people from the Caribbean, are mixed race, from various African populations, Taino/ Arawak and Carib indian, and European, and this can make finding a suitable transplant match more difficult.

Peregrine
    Free Member

Yes they are – but to be honest, i really don't care. There is nothing we can do about any of it.

thegreatape
    Free Member

There's a Black Police Officer's Association dont'cha know, how does it feel to a white Officer to be refused membership?

You wouldn't, if the statement on the homepage of their website is true.

westkipper
    Free Member

Oh, and the reason that music of black origin is defined and celebrated in those terms is because of the years of prejudice and exclusion by mainstream 'white 'labels and media.
    Some of you younger kids wont remember but even MTV wouldn't play black artists when it started.
    And as one of my colleages once said; " get rid of the work of blacks, jews and homo's and modern culture is worth **** all!) 🙂

backhander
    Free Member

Oh, and the reason that music of black origin is defined and celebrated in those terms is because of the years of prejudice and exclusion by mainstream 'white 'labels and media.

2 wrongs don't make a right. The stupid apologists are the ones doing the most damage.

GrandWazooo
    Free Member

I am on the fence
    if they give a Mobo to Seasick Steve I will never question them again.
    if he doesnt get one as one of the greatest bluesmen in history then I will consider the MOBOs to be racist.

westkipper
    Free Member

" two wrongs dont make a right" is only a glib saying.
    Accepting that lots of popular music was borne out of terrible hardship is something real.

djglover
    Free Member

WHITE* POWER

*BLACK

daveob
    Free Member

I don't believe it is racist, but it is a double standard and therefore should not be allowed as too with one extra.

I cannot call a chalkboard a blackboard any more in case it offends, but I can call a wipeboard a whiteboard.

Better still ditch the political correctness and just get on!

rightplacerighttime
    Free Member

The reason that it's OK to have the MOBOs (well, one reason) and not the MOWOs is that MOBO actually means something to most people.

And with regard to the NBPA etc, I was trying to find a quote that I sort of remember about majorities respecting minorities. I didn't find it, but I did find this by Helen Keller:

Toleration is the greatest gift of the mind; it requires the same effort of the brain that it takes to balance oneself on a bicycle.

skidartist
    Free Member

I cannot call a chalkboard a blackboard any more in case it offends

Who says you can't, theres no derogatory inflection, inference or intent in describing a blackboard as a blackboard, it has no historical, cultural or literal relationship with black people. There's no rule about it anywhere, and no desire from anybody for there to be one.

but I can call a wipeboard a whiteboard.

Now thats bang out of order, how dare you make such a slur on my peelywally northern european heritage by using the word 'white' to describe a bit of formica that you scribble on with a pen.

It a case of political correctness made up

GrandWazooo
    Free Member

blackboards were green in my school

radoggair
    Free Member

and while we're at it, how come on all star FAMILY fortunes Denis Lewis had her FRIEND on it and the other girl had her COACH. Defo a trading standards issue going on here

spanishbarry
    Free Member

blackboards were green in my school

did you go to school in Eire , or is this a racist assumption

samuri
    Free Member

and while we're at it, how come on all star FAMILY fortunes Denis Lewis had her FRIEND on it and the other girl had her COACH. Defo a trading standards issue going on here

I think more to the point here is that Denise looked fit and it turns out she likes white guys so I might have a chance yet.

grumm
    Free Member

God what a load of depressing nonsense spouted in this thread. 🙁

We should be proud of the fact that we can celebrate the diversity of the culture in this country. I think people get so upset about all this stuff because we have largely lost touch with any sense of traditional English culture (not because of foreigners taking over, but because it's mostly morris dancing and crap like that 🙂 )

samuri
    Free Member

🙁

skidartist
    Free Member

but because it's mostly morris dancing and crap like that

Morris Dancing (Moorish Dancing) being derived of course from North African Arabic / Muslim traditions, via spain. So expect to see the Thaxted Morris Men throwing down some power moves at the opening of next years Mobos.
    🙂

Kuco

Don't know or really care if it's racist but I find most of the music on it shite.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Are the MOBO awards racist?’ is closed to new replies.