Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Are the 2008 specialized enduro sl's any good?
  • pimpmyride
    Free Member

Sorry 2 posts together but they are different questions!
    Looking at getting the enduro sl 2008 the one with the specialized 150 brand forks and rear shock and just wondered if they are any good?

I do mainly all mountain trail centre riding (no road riding) and techy singletrack, I currently have a stiffee fr which has found a new home (I hope) and I am desperate to go back to full suss, would this be a bike worth considering? or would the 2006 enduro be better (older shape frame)

Cheers

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Yes, yes, yes.

Almost ideal as a trail centre bike, IMO. Make sure you have the forks well serviced (mine have 09 guts in them) and they're superb forks. Track like nothing you've ridden, outside of a full on DH fork and they're surprisingly light! The wind down travel option is ideal for long fire road climbs (a la trail centre)

Downhill? Fast. Very. My tip is to go for a wider bar than the stock. I run Easton Havoc on mine. OK, so a little wobbly at slower speeds, but once you get going, wahooooo!

Another consideration – It's a bike that works really well with a dropper seatpost. So much fun with the post down, climbs superbly with the seat up.

easygirl

ive got an enduro sl, i think they are a no brainer at the current price, got mine frame and forks for £1499
    the forks and shocks have a 5 year warranty
    mine have been flawless, superb tracking,adjustable travel
    the downside is the 25mm hub, only because if you trash a rim, theres no quick swopping of wheels.
    the rear shock has been great
    just had mine for a week in italian alps, took a load of abuse and never complained

I've had an '06 and now an '08 S-Works that I built up myself. The '06 was an awesome bike, but where that has weaknesses (weight/a dog to pedal uphill), this one excels.

Mine's a large and weighs 28lb – it flies downhill and climbs better than any bike I've ever owned.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Brilliant! the enduro sl it is then 🙂
    I'm 5ft 11 with a 32" inside leg, would the medium be spot on? what size do you guys all ride and how tall are you?
    I ride a 17.5" Cove Stiffee at the moment and even though it looks small its easy to pedal uphill and is a hoot to throw around on the descents!

I had a stumpjumper 19" frame years ago and although it was a fantastic bike I always wonder if it was slightly too big for me 🙁

I'm a gnats knacker under 6ft, with a 34" inside leg – a medium is a tad too small for me. Would probably be about right for you.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I'm about the same height as you, pmr, and I'm on a Medium.

Feels small at times, oddly, but that's more the geometry/dropped top tube. Right size for me.

hughjass
    Free Member

6ft with a 32" inside leg and I ride a medium.

Spot on for me.

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thanks guys, medium sl on the way 🙂

Will let you know when I get it.

Thanks again for top answers.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Let us know if you want any build tips…!

In the meantime pimp – feel free to drool over mine (garden now in better condition and decking fixed)

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! slobber 🙂

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Needs more SRAM X0, more Conti tyres and more ti-railed saddle bling!

😉

Kramer
    Free Member

I think that an Enduro is much more bike than you need for a trail centre.

psychle
    Free Member

I think that an Enduro is much more bike than you need for a trail centre

Why??

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

psychle, because we should all be riding niche-core rigid singlespeed hybrids made by a man in a shed with a beard. Didn't you get the memo?

😉

psychle
    Free Member

Ah… I prefer my taiwanese made plastic bike, it's **** awesome 😀

littlebear
    Free Member

I think that an Enduro is much more bike than you need for a trail centre.

I have to agree… 120mm is ample, unless your a wanna be DH rider. I would also be wary of SBC suspension.

Kramer
    Free Member

psychle, I just think that if you're mainly going to do trail centre riding, the Enduro's probably got a bit too much travel, a Stumpjumper or even an Epic would be a better choice. Not saying that the Enduro's a bad bike, it's a great bike.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Kramer, ride one at a trail centre, then come back and decide…!

Too much travel, or just you riding too slowly?

😉

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Thanks for the non useful comments but i'm still looking for one 🙂

If I want to go to work on it then its fine.
    If I want to ride trail centres then its fine.
    If I want to do some light jumping messing about in morzine then its fine.

So in conclusion I think it will do just fine 🙂

With a 5 year no quibbles warranty and backup on the suspension then I think I will sleep at night, you don't get that with any other suspension do you? (thought not)

Kramer
    Free Member

CaptainFlashheart – you've seen me ride then! 😀

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

😆

pimpmyride
    Free Member

Oh and another thing, the fact that I ride a Cove Stiffee and I don't like riding on the road may give a slight indication that I like to ride like a mad man!
    I want a bike that I can pootle around on or do some fast techy hard descents and the SL ticks every box.
    The only other bike that I considered was the Meta 5.5.2 2009 but after reading many owners reviews they have a problem with frames cracking near the rear shock mount.

The SL seems like an awesome buy with top kit as standard and great value for money.

The end 🙂

LMT
    Free Member

The 08 Enduro is for me the ultimate trail, do everything bike, its just my opinion but it looks great, rides well and is just a superb bike, its a pity the newer models seem to be lacking something the 08 has!

psychle
    Free Member

If I want to go to work on it then its fine.

If I want to ride trail centres then its fine.

If I want to do some light jumping messing about in morzine then its fine

Exactly why I bought one 😀 It's everything I ever wanted in a FS bike, suits me perfectly (and is waaay more bike than my current skill level requires! but I can grow into it and never feel that it's limiting me 🙂 )

psychle
    Free Member

The fact I got mine for a steal also helps (£1500 for a new and complete bike!! deal of the century for me 8) )

knowfear
    Free Member

I love me enduro- its the 06 (now sx trail frame) but i love the point and shootness of it,, not too much of a pain for all day riding either !! saying that for the 1400 quid i paid all i have left original is frame and stem !!!!

The fact that I can leave folk behind downhill, climb further (albeit not faster, cos my lungs are shite) and generally just ride past others, as they slip, slide and falter, proves it's worth for me.

You don't notice it has 6" of travel, until you actually need it. It eats miles better than any bike I've ever ridden – and it makes my mates dribble.

I'd almost go as far as to say it's 99% perfect – and that's after 15+ years of mtb'ing.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Are the 2008 specialized enduro sl's any good?’ is closed to new replies.