Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)
  • Are superstar pads really fat?
  • Mintyjim

Despite pushing the pistons all the way back on my Avid Elixers these pads are rubbing on the disc and it was a push to get the caliper back over the disc!
    Anybody else have a similar prob?
    Cheers
    James

MrSparkle

Yup. Had the same thing with my Deore ones. Ball ache,innit?

jimbobrighton
    Free Member

yeah they do seem a bit fat, but they quickly seem to sort themselves out. give it a rides worth and it'll be fine.

best value pads you can get IMO

Mintyjim

Cheers guys, fingers crossed they do, cos they were a bargain!

trailmonkey

Is 'fat' a new way of saying ineffective and potentially dangerous ?

dirtbiker100
    Free Member

wayhey here comes the "down with superstar" stuff again.
    i've had a few pads from them and they've all worked ok so far. thats all i'm adding to coming debate.

Leku
    Free Member

I've had one set (for Hope mono mini) come up rather 'fat'. All the other dozen odd sets I've used were fine (and worked well etc etc). Just sent them back and got them swopped.

M6TTF
    Free Member

yep, definitely a bit more meat on them than OEM but a bit of fiddling got them in and they've been perfect.

spooky_b329

I still buy them, its not like you can't get replacements for the odd few that do fail. (or did, not anymore it seems)

I don't really like the guys' attitude, but I'm not about to cut of my nose to spite my face by paying three times more for other brands.

robhughes
    Free Member

just got some kevlar ones for juicy 5,s.
    same problem.
    don,t know if this is right but the front lever travel is now well down?

mmb
    Free Member

i've used superstars for 2 yrs now no probs whatsoever!.

MrGreedy

I don't really like the guys' attitude, but I'm not about to cut of my nose to spite my face by paying three times more for other brands.

That's what I thought – the guy is clearly a bit of a muppet, but the pads are alright and, more importantly, cheap. Then I found Discobrakes.com and the muppet-endorsement problem was solved 🙂

stuartanicholson
    Free Member

Not fat for me. Im on shimano brakes, bled using the little yellow spacer so i have te right amount of fluid in the system. Try a re-bleed with a spacer in as you may have too much fluid in the system.

_tom_
    Free Member

Never had any problems with superstar pads here, the grips are pretty good for the money as well.

Zukemonster
    Free Member

I've got some of their disks and I've found them fat too. I guess it might start to be a problem if you had both…,

iain1775
    Free Member

the one pair of superstar I ever used where like that
    Moved to Discobrakes now and had same problem twice
    Guess they are all made in same place and are all actually the same anyway so will just continue to buy whichever are cheapest
    No way Im paying 4 or 5x the amount for 'proper' ones that dont last much longer

Northwind

Never had any issues with Shimano, Formula or Tektro superstar pads. Well, the paint on one of the shimano sets was a little thick and needed to be chased down with a file first but that took 10 seconds so not a serious concern. Great pads really, I don't see any reason to buy anything else. Had some Discos which were decent enough too.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Shinythings
    Free Member
    simon1975

They always came up a bit "fat" for my Hayes brakes (backing plate too wide, pad a little too thick). But no problems with the current SS offerings for my Mono Minis. Superb VFM.

spooky_b329

Northwind mentioned the paint…maybe thats the problem as they appear to be powder coated now which could add to the width slightly? (I ordered sintered which are normally gold, but received Kevlar, I'm guessing this is why they are red?)

Coyote
    Free Member

Yup, the ones in my Hayes rub too.

supinerider
    Free Member

Mine were too fat too. Formula sintered. Sanded a bit of paint off the back of the pads and they're fine now.

EDIT: Must start reading the rest of the posts before I reply…

HTTP404
    Free Member

my disco brake pads were "fat" – so it's not just the superstar ones.

warton
    Free Member

sanding off the paint makes a difference, which is a shame, cause the red kevlar ones in my Hope X2s look lurverly….

grtdkad

Mine are all good…

BigJohn

Just replace one of the pads, ride it like that for a couple of rides then replace the other one. Works for me.

Northwind

Oh, just to follow up my comment, I didn't have to take off much paint at all, just chased it off the edges of the pad, not the backs.

scoobmw
    Free Member

Mine are always a pain – Hope Tech X2 and Hayes Stroker Ryde.

Northwind – like the paint tip – might try that. I find it really hard to get enough leverage to get pistons ALL the way in to then get a disc between SS pads on either system

Mintyjim

great tip about the paint, they're only a few microns too thick so hopefully that would solve the issue…now where's the wet & dry

mickasaki
    Free Member

I had some for my ultimates which i had to file down the sides of the backings to fit in the callipers, but then worked a treat. If i had paid full genuine replacement prices i would have been well pi##ed off, but didn't mind because of the price! However, just got some replacements for my tech2 brakes, they may be half the price of hope pads – but you only get half the friction material, just a small patch in the middle of the backings! I'm going to shop about when they wear out.

Viewing 31 posts - 1 through 31 (of 31 total)

The topic ‘Are superstar pads really fat?’ is closed to new replies.