Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)
  • Are Standards of Standards dropping?
  • swanny853

Merrida have been doing it for a very long time too

Maybe it was a Merida I saw it on. I vaguely remember it having green on it. Both cannondale and merida often have green bits….

Sui
    Free Member

If everyone just didn’t buy the new “standards” then we wouldn’t have any standards. Its riders’ fault.. simple really.

however – as humans we are generally a bit thick and, when presented with something new and shiny, a bit like crows, we must go after it..

kerley
    Free Member

The problem lies with calling them standards. They are not standards they are options offered by different manufacturers. Think of them that way and you may not get some upset about it

Only after some time or when something really is the main option is it a standard, i.e. 700c rim for a road bike.

For other components there have always been different options, for example seat posts. In theory everyone could have used 27.2 or 30.9 or whatever but we have always had a lot of options although some are more popular, i.e. 27.2.

STATO
    Free Member

The problem lies with calling them standards. They are not standards they are options offered by different manufacturers. Think of them that way and you may not get some upset about it

No, they are standards. I.E. they are a standard specification to produce, and therefore cross compatible with other items made to that standard.

The misconception is in the user thinking ‘standard’ means that everything has to be the same, not understanding you can have many different ‘standards’ to follow.

kerley
    Free Member

The misconception is in the user thinking ‘standard’ means that everything has to be the same, not understanding you can have many different ‘standards’ to follow.

Agree, I was trying to help the OP by removing the word standards are it seems to be the cause of upset for some but you are right, they maybe just need to look up what a standard is

ISO Standard is a good definition
    A standard is a document that provides requirements, specifications, guidelines or characteristics that can be used consistently to ensure that materials, products, processes and services are fit for their purpose.

Viewing 5 posts - 41 through 45 (of 45 total)

The topic ‘Are Standards of Standards dropping?’ is closed to new replies.