Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)
  • Are some events getting too expensive?
  • mafiafish
    Free Member

No Fuss don’t put it down as a year long event with 364 days of free practice on their website.

chuckle

michaelmcc
    Free Member

Then someone will spot a gap on the market to attract the price conscious mtb’er

Tesco value, Aldi, Lidl, etc are examples…

What would that be…. an event with no medical assistance, no marshalls, no prize giving or washing facilities? 😆

No thanks.

What would that be…. an event with no medical assistance, no marshalls, no prize giving or washing facilities?

Like a trailquest then ?
    Minimal expenditure for the organiser; hiring a village hall for half a day, complete with toilets and car park, plus the cost of colour printing an A4 map for each entrant, and that’s about it.

I know I’m not going to persuade people to enter trailquests, so how could Marathons or similar events be run so cheaply ?

HONC sells out 1200 places at £30 in about an hour.
    If I set a date and said “Meet at Wyre Forest Visitor Centre at 9am and I’ll give you a GPS track for free or a paper map for £1 for a 100km route taking in Clee Hill and some of the best bridleways on the Worcestershire/Shropshire border”, no one would turn up.

Drac

I did a Trailquest years ago and it was great fun but you can’t compare them to a 24 hours all weekend event. They’re two completely different kinds of events, so attract different interests and cost different amounts.

michaelmcc
    Free Member

For those of you who think 24 Hours Of Exposure is too expensive, I just entered the 24 Hours Of Adrenaline world champs which is 500 dollars. Thats something to compare it to.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

Maybe Mountain Mayhem is getting too expensive as there are still places left on Wiggle for all categories. It always used to sell out within a few days.

amt27
    Free Member

HONC sells out 1200 places at £30 in about an hour.

HONC is less than £20 aint it?

24 Hours Of Exposure – entry fee for this is not an issuefor me, getting their is more of a problem, plus all the kit/food needed to race,

njee20
    Free Member

Maybe Mountain Mayhem is getting too expensive as there are still places left on Wiggle for all categories. It always used to sell out within a few days.

Yes I thought that – there used to be a massive rush to enter straight away, that seems to have gone. Did the same number of people still go to Pat’s house I wonder?

I did it in 2005/06/07 and then not again until last year, and I think it’s got less good year on year too. They used to have a massive arena with loads of stuff going on, had the London Philharmonic in 2006 (I think it was). That seems to have gone, it was all more low key last year. Still great fun, but more expensive for ‘less’ event, bubble had to burst I guess.

FunkyDunc
    Free Member

“They used to have a massive arena with loads of stuff going on, had the London Philharmonic in 2006 (I think it was). That seems to have gone, it was all more low key last year.”

I’d forgotten about all that kind of stuff! I was only helping out last year due to injury, but thought the whole set up of the arena and camping areas was a bit of a mess, and come to think of it not much to do or look at as a non rider… apart from lots of shops.

juan
    Free Member

Taking aside the timing, insurance, pit area, medics, signs, months of researching the right trails, trail centres, organising the sponsors/prizes, camping and parking the list goes on…
    What exactly do you get for £60?

3 round at the local Enduro series. Each with 3 to 4 stages. Proper downhill and a free meal at the end of it.

hillsplease

For me the Exposure 24 is cracking value – for the price of a night out you get to be overtaken by riding gods on a course that is nearly wholly pedallable by a woeful rider like me even after 22hrs when it’s rained for at least 16 – as last year.

Sure, it’s expensive to get there, but any holiday away is.

And there was a gorilla with a drum kit.

Endurance racing is expensive as you’re fitting 2-3 weeks ‘normal’ riding into 24hrs. But with less bacon and driving. And possibly some training.

Viewing 11 posts - 81 through 91 (of 91 total)

The topic ‘Are some events getting too expensive?’ is closed to new replies.