Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Are SKS race blades still the best option?
  • eyerideit
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair for years but the rear one flew away today and I’m about to buy another pair.

But is there anything better out there for clip ons?

chakaping
    Free Member

I dunno but they are very good – and I have a set surplus to requirements if you’re interested in secondhand?

(sorry for spamming if not)

🙂

tomhoward

Not that I’ve seen. I’d have another pair in a flash.

wwaswas

I’ve been using the crud race thingies this winter.

I’ve been impressed. Because they’re full length you stay really dry riding on a wet road and they’ve been surprisingly robust.

Scapegoat

Crud roadracer mk 2 if you have the clearance., Faff to fit, but once they’re on and adjusted properly mine are fine. They’re on the second bike now, and apart from the fragile front tail (which I snapped on the first kerb drop) they’re great.

brassneck

Crud ones are better. I have raceblades, next door has crud, they are a big improvement IMHO.

fasthaggis

The last few winters I have had frames that would take bolted on mud guards.The times that I converted race bikes with less clearance ,I just chopped up proper mud guards and made them fit with P-clips.This was mostly for the benefit of winter chain gangs ,where shonky guards can be a pain in the eye . 😉

TiRed

Raceblade Longs are vastly superior. They don’t touch or scratch the frame, don’t move, don’t rub, can be removed in the time it takes to remove and replace two QR skewers. I’ve ordered 30 pairs for our club.

I have both and have also broken a set of Cruds. I also have Chromoplastics on my commuting road bike and the Longs are almost as good and much more practical if you want to remove them.

Haze

Longs here too, massively better than the cruds I tried before.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Longs look perfect, the stay mounted ones have taken the paint off

Thanks everyone.

kcal

Longs are limited in tyre width are they not? 18-23mm?

clubber
    Free Member

the stay mounted ones have taken the paint off

I just use a short length of insulation tape where they attach.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

One potential issue with the Race Blades is at the rear, where you can find it diverts a lot of grime on to your rear brake. This is OK if you look after your bike well, but if you don’t, it’s basically a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen!

TiRed

Longs will take a 25c Schwalbe marathon plus, which is more than can be said for my ultegra rear brakes, when I tried them. A more typical 25c should be fine.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Thanks for the Offer Chapaking but the longs look much better for commuting.

brassneck

One potential issue with the Race Blades is at the rear, where you can find it diverts a lot of grime on to your rear brake. This is OK if you look after your bike well, but if you don’t, it’s basically a maintenance nightmare waiting to happen!

And the demise of my rear brake is thus explained. D’oh.

benp1

Crud Roadracers here

Struggle with clearance so it goes over my brake calipers (Specialized Allex) rather than under, but so far they’ve been fine

Garry_Lager

Didn’t really rate the raceblades – performed ok but fell apart after a year’s commuting and needed quite a bit of adjustment week to week. Maybe that’s fair use for a set of clip-ons but hard to believe there’s not better out there.

thelonebiker
    Free Member

I use raceblade logs on my road bike. The have been pretty good, fit well and are still in one piece. The only issue, as someone mentioned, is the exposed brakes. If you are happy with that then stick to what you know.

I heard that the cruds rub on the tyres but not sure if that’s the case.

Vortexracing

these seem good but are expensive

Portland Design works fender

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Portland-Design-Works-Full-Metal-Fenders-Set_60710.htm

jamiec360
    Free Member

Been trying to get a pair of the PDWs for weeks now (found the roadracers a bit rattly) been told they’re sold out everywhere and next delivery not until May. Cancelled order with discount cycles now and trying tredz hopefully managed to get their last pair.

eyerideit
    Free Member

Those PDW look nice but I’ve ordered a pair of SKS longs now.

Didn’t really rate the raceblades – performed ok but fell apart after a year’s commuting and needed quite a bit of adjustment week to week.

My other race blades have lasted at least 5 years of commuting and for the last 2 I’ve not taken them off. The only reason I’m getting a new pair is because I’m a lazy sod and didn’t put the screws in the rear guard and it removed itself going down Piccadilly this morning.

I found using cable ties on the rear instead of the rubber straps worked much better especially on my skinny seat stays.

If anyone needs the rear mounting bracket and a front guard it’s yours if you cover the postage. If you’re in London then I’d gladly meet you and hand them over.

Kahurangi

Raceblade Longs are vastly superior. They don’t touch or scratch the frame, don’t move, don’t rub, can be removed in the time it takes to remove and replace two QR skewers

QFT.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Are SKS race blades still the best option?’ is closed to new replies.