Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Are Shimano 11spd chains made of cheese / Am I a ham fisted mechanic?
  • alibongo001

I have a Arkose Pinnacle 3 from a year or two back and have had issues with the chain snapping a few times.

Basically it snapped a few weeks ago and after a few previous breakages had ended up so short I could only access half the gears.

Bought a new one and fitted – worked OK (little wear on the old one <75%) .But then it had a stiff link.

I spend a few minutes lubing and checking the pins for alignment and sett off yesterday, only for the chain to break before I left my drive.

When trying to repair them the outer links seem to bend and then wont align properly with the pin – I have had this several time am I alone?

(I am sending off for some quicklinks – anyone know a cheap supplier for 11spd)

PS I have not had a mountain bike chain break in over 2 years!

sillyoldman

Don’t mean to be rude, but sounds like the latter. 😉

Are you using the proper Shimano replacement pin with the guide that you snap off once the pin is fitted?

If the outer link if deflecting rather than the pin seating in properly, then it sounds like your chaintool is for a wider chain, and so isn’t supporting the outer link.

cloudnine
    Free Member

Just use some 10 SPD kmc quick links.. They’re reusable and seem to work fine. Get some quick link pliers..
    You can thank me later.

alibongo001

I am using a chain tool from a TopPeak Alien multi tool – I did not know that there were different ones (although it makes sense now I think about it!)

I have been re-using the pins from the chain to fix – is this not recommended?

Will be getting some more quick links – anyone got a good supplier?

alibongo001

None taken BTW Sillyoldman! 🙂

benpinnick

I have been re-using the pins from the chain to fix – is this not recommended?

No that’s definitely not recommended, on any chain really, but especially Shimanos. Shimano have a special fat pin to rejoin them. The normal pin flares the housing as you remove and refit, leaving the chain weakened.

Decathlon links are fine if you have one close: https://www.decathlon.co.uk/10-speed-chain-link-id_5933615.html

EDIT thats 10 spd, but they probably do 11 too.

shortcut

Re-using your old pins would be why you are having problems. Use new pins or quick links. Also think about buying a decent chain tool.

So yes – looks like consensus is on ham fisted and then enhanced by not having quick links or the shimano pins.

philjunior
    Free Member

Also, you shouldn’t be getting sticky links, and if you’re having to move pins about to loosen them off, this will also be removing the interference fit between the pin and the outer plates, making it easier for the pin to fall out. (This would apply to pretty much any modern chain).

Clean and oil the chain after a ride, and you won’t get sticky links.

Rorschach
    Free Member

Also, you shouldn’t be getting sticky links, and if you’re having to move pins about to loosen them off, this will also be removing the interference fit between the pin and the outer plates, making it easier for the pin to fall out. (This would apply to pretty much any modern chain).

Clean and oil the chain after a ride, and you won’t get sticky links.
    That’s an impressive amount of nope in one post.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Stiff links are not just caused by lubrication issues.

honourablegeorge

Don’t see the point in buying Shimano chains, purely because every other brand includes a quick link that can be reused.

sillyoldman

The point is that the Shimano pin is a more durable fix (seen plenty failed quick links from various brands), 11 speed quick links are single use only from most brands, and so don’t offer any benefit, and you need to use a chain tool to cut your new chain to length anyway, so using it once more to fit a pin isn’t really a hardship. 😉

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Are Shimano 11spd chains made of cheese / Am I a ham fisted mechanic?’ is closed to new replies.