Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)
  • Are my 26'er Hope/Stans wheels worth selling or rimswap to 650b?
  • hora
    Free Member

I need 650b wheels.

The option is rim swap or sell the wheels and buy Superstar wheels on the custom % deal?

Evo2 hubs on ZTR flow and ZTR Arch rims. Rear needs truing and both rims have cosmetic scratches.

See the dilema?! I’d get £80 for the wheels Hopes as they are. Rebuild would be c£160.
    Superstar wheels = £230

scotroutes

If you are happy to build your own wheels then I’d suggest keeping the hubs.

hora
    Free Member

Never done it and wouldn’t trust myself.

welshfarmer

I reckon it would be possible for a competent home mechanic to build up/lace a new rim and then take it to a profi to have final tightening and truing done. Plenty of How-tos out there. I am in the same situation so will follow this thread with interest

dangeourbrain
    Free Member

80 sounds mightily conservative on the resale value but I’m no expert.

Also for what is worth my ss switch wheels have been excellent for the money.

scotroutes

I’d agree. Unless they are properly trashed, surely a set of Pro2 Evo hubs are worth more than that?

Ben_H

I’ve had my Hope Pro 2 hubs re-built from 26in onto 29in and now 650b rims.

I’d say that it costs very a similar amount to have them re-built at a bike shop compared to buying new ones & selling the old.

The benefit of re-building is that you can choose your own rims (I wanted DT XM401 on my most recent ones) and you’ll get a small amount from selling the rims.

With complete new factory / internet wheels, you will of course get new parts throughout and a box to post your old ones off. As I say, the rim choice can be limited though.

hora
    Free Member

They arent wrecked by a longshot.

Would it be easier to sell just the hubs then?

Del

what rims are they, what colour hubs and what state are they in?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

I’d much rather keep Hope hubs and have them rebuilt over SS.

bigrich

they’ll be 26″ specific hubs; that means the design will be obsolete leading to 23% less speed, a 17.4% reduction in acceleration and a 2m/s slower turn in rate.

lornholio
    Free Member

I sold my Pro 2 Evo SPs & old Flows for £175 recently, pretty scratched, two small dents (fixed but visible), including partly-worn tyres I had no use for any more and some old spare rotors.

Try to sell them for a decent price and if you don’t get it then you’re no worse off than you are right now. And true them first, a very good opportunity to learn!

Si
    Free Member

Hora I’d take them off your hands for £80 if you want to get rid!?

hora
    Free Member

Lornholio really?!!!!

Where?

vincienup
    Free Member

£80 is old knackered Mavic 321 money.

As above, unless they’re properly fisted they’re worth a lot more than that. £80 EACH may well be doable.

Tbh, if I hadn’t just built myself a nice new set of 26ers I might have been interested.

As above also, building is a piece of p1ss if you’re methodical and don’t let anyone disturb you whole you’re busy. Stuff like a truing stand is nice, but an upside down bike works, it’s just less convenient. Read a how to or better, dropper a tenner on Roger Musson ‘s wheelpro ebook. Then after you’ve built, if uncertain get your LBS to give them a once over. Rose in Germanyland are very good for DT Comp spokes… 😉

Potdog
    Free Member

Personally I’d stick with the hope hubs and get them relaced on to a rim of my choice. Had some SS wheels sent to me with a bike from the guys at Kingdom bike for a try and the front rim lasted about 10 rides before it got mysteriously taco’d just enough to not be able to straighten it. Now has a Mavic rim on there.
    The rear is straight still, bit the rim seems very prone to dents.
    Saying that, the riding over here is very rocky and a test for any rims, but others seem to last longer.
    The SS hubs have so far been good though.

nick1962
    Free Member

The OP has a rear that needs truing so maybe building his own wheels maybe asking a bit too much?
    Get the wheel trued,tidy them up and you should easily get £150 a pair,judging by what they are going for on Pinkbike and elsewhere.
    Then use the cash for a custom or factory set depending on your budget and requirements.

bigjim

Interested if they are going for £80, as long as rear only needs truing and isn’t dinged/flat spotted.

kimbers

why not buy some light bicycle carbon rims and get them built up on your hopes

400 quid all in, – whatever you can get for your old rims

welshfarmer

To those joking about 26″ specific hubs. I have now looked into this and as yet have been unable to find a 27.5″ rim with 36 holes to take my hope hubs. Seems I have 4 spokes to many! If anyone knows a source of 650b rims with 36 holes please let me know 🙁

Scrap that! I just found some on a German website 🙂

EDIT: Which are currently unavailable 🙁

hora
    Free Member

These are 32hole. Looking at new prices and hope/stans 650b are rare. Only ubyk do a cheapish wheelset

lornholio
    Free Member

Yep. Thought I’d only get £150 at first, then checked recent prices on eBay/Singletrack/Pinkbike and chanced it with an original asking price of £200 (wheels, old tyres, old rotors, spare spokes, tubeless). Sold via Pinkbike in the end for £175 including postage; not bad considering I bought the wheels nearly-new for £200 two years ago! http://www.pinkbike.com/buysell/1770499/

scruff
    Free Member

Re rimming (!) with new longer spokes would be a very good way of learning to build your own wheels. As your a tight fisted gimp, shirley you should be doing it yourself and not paying the LBS.

hora
    Free Member

Idea- I currently run 2.25 Maxxis. I’ve got a 2.4 HR II in the shed- stick that on the front and run a 2.4 Ardent on the rear. That ‘could’ lift my bike enough diameter-wise to bridge the gap between my 26’er to a standard 27.5 someway? This’d avoid having to change wheels just yet? Afterall cosmetically they aren’t in the best but physically they are far from done. Any new wheels I buy will instantly look like my current ones.

jam-bo

why do you need to ‘lift’ your bike?

hora
    Free Member

Its a 650b frame. Ive been upgrading as I go along

cokie

I’ll buy the rear for £80

fingerbang
    Free Member

im in a similar position so ill just mark this thread, and the bit about roger mussons ebook.

you can hold out for longer though – I know you can. think of our forefathers at Dunkirk. must they die in vain?

warpcow
    Free Member

Hope don’t do Stan’s rims on their Hope Hoops anymore, if that makes a difference.

Viewing 29 posts - 1 through 29 (of 29 total)

The topic ‘Are my 26'er Hope/Stans wheels worth selling or rimswap to 650b?’ is closed to new replies.