Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)
  • are homologated tyres for real?
  • wolfenstein
    Free Member

what is this sorcery about these tyres, or just gimmicks? these runflats are total PITA

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yes, they are for real.
    No, they aren’t a gimmick.

BUT,

Unless you are driving something truly mental at 10/10ths, you probably won’t notice the difference. As long as the tyres you do fit are the right rating/size.

midlifecrashes

Rubs chin.

Would you like to buy a bridge?

Drac

I’ve got a special band that can help your balance, I can cut you a deal if you also order some super slimming pills.

servo
    Free Member

For sure you need a set of tyres are that are matched perfect and staggered special. 🙂

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

What is it you’ve got?
    Lamborghini Huracan? Ferrari 488? Audi R10?

Or a Germanic diesel estate?

Should tell you what you need to know about your need for homologated tyres.

hot_fiat

Jaguar used to claim they had homolgated “J” spec Pirelli p6000s for the x-type. They were just as crap as the regular ones.

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

Yeah, i guess that’ll be well into the gimmick end of the market…..

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

I noticed the difference in grip between the original, 12 yr old OEM Avon’s (under 1mm tread) that were on my mx5 and the £65 each Goodyear Eagles I had fitted.
    But after that… You’re wasting money unless they’re saving you fuel

nickewen
    Free Member

I went through this a few weeks back. A few phone calls to bmw and Michelin and I was told there was only 1 homologated tyre for my car – the * marked pilot supersport. The tyre I wanted was a Goodyear Eagle F1 asymmetric 3 and even Goodyear tech support advised against fitting this tyre.. something to do with the tolerances on tyre width having an impact on sensors/ECU… anyhow I went with the Goodyear’s and glad I did. Wet weather performance and tyre noise both better and they were cheaper than the Michelin’s (which were a very performance orientated tyre). No adverse impact yet and nothing untoward has happened re dash warnings/unusual handling.

nickewen
    Free Member

I also had a good chat with the owner of the local tyre place I ordered the set of tyres from who has two 911s neither of which are on the “N” marked Porsche homolagted tyres. Make of that what you will.. made me feel better about my Beemer..

maccruiskeen

tech support advised against fitting this tyre.. something to do with the tolerances on tyre width having an impact on sensors/ECU

What a time to be alive.

nickewen
    Free Member

Ha – I know how to live! Tyre loser for life..

hot_fiat

Doesn’t ABS and/or ASR just measure rate of change of deceleration of a wheel? So in theory it’d work with any given rotating object. Otherwise it’d have to know what the cf of the road surface was? Sure you can give it some boundaries to work with but the ECU isn’t going to know that one wheel is on shellgrip and another is on black ice.

nickewen
    Free Member

I’m not sure how it works and I didn’t understand a lot of the second half of the chat with the clever man from goodyear when he started talking electronics. He said there was less risk if replacing all 4 at once – not sure of the significance of that either but I was doing a full set so was less concerned.

Just had too look up what “homologated” was.

I imagine a tyre manufacturer would pay a fair bit of cash to the car manufacturer for the right to supply their tyres as “approved original equipment”.

sam_underhill

I buy the Mercedes homologated Contis for my Skoda. They are often £10 – £20 cheaper than the generic fit version. I asked continental if there was any difference, and they said no.

wolfenstein
    Free Member

I buy the Mercedes homologated Contis for my Skoda. They are often £10 – £20 cheaper than the generic fit version

..and the mercedes homologated tyres has a C” rating for petrol economy whilst the rest has has E” rating

thenorthwind

Well I just learnt a new word.

Shame I won’t be needing it again.

bensales
    Free Member

sam_underhill – Member
    I buy the Mercedes homologated Contis for my Skoda. They are often £10 – £20 cheaper than the generic fit version. I asked continental if there was any difference, and they said no.

I spent quite a bit of time with Continental this summer driving cars of different tyres that were specified by manufacturers. They are surprisingly different.

For example, we had a Porsche Macan and a Tesla S. Nominally on the same tyre. But Porsche had specified that the tread pattern gave better lateral grip, and Tesla had said it needed to be quieter because the car was so quiet. So the pattern on the Porsche version was actually different, and the Tesla version had a foam insert as a band around the tyre that acted to suppress road noise.

Certainly more valid at the premium end, but car manufactures really do work with tyre manufacturers to have tyres suit certain cars.

cheese@4p

Semi-skimmed every time for me

Viewing 21 posts - 1 through 21 (of 21 total)

The topic ‘are homologated tyres for real?’ is closed to new replies.