Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)
  • Are higher end car tyres worth the cash?
  • molgrips
    Free Member

My favourites are Nokian. They do a summer tyre just named after the speed rating. So I’ve got Nokian V.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Funny, most of the stuff people say about the good tyres could equaly be true for my budget-ish prestivo’s, regulalry gets thrown through damp corners/roundabouts a little too quick* and hardly a hint of understeer, mpg is the same as everyone else quotes and the front’s will probably need changeing at 25k (and thats because the insides have worn quickly, probably bad tracking, the outside’s still got 2mm to the limit), the rears appeared in the doomsday book I think, measured 7mm 25k ago, now arround 4-5mm. Only place they struggle is the hill upto my house, standing start 1in3 and lots of landrovers and old vans with leaky diesel tanks/diffs.

*I find not using the brakes does more for MPG than anything else, after all they’re just wasing energy!

TiRed

Do you put Halfords Bike Hut specials on your bikes? R&D costs money, and in my experience is worth it. Cost effectiveness is one thing, but handling and performance count for cars as well as bikes.

kanza
    Free Member

Stopping distance is where the budgets fail you, right when your need them..

Sodajim

TomB not sure of your budget but look at uniroyal rain sports if they fit your car around £100 each).

I put them on my estate after having yokohoma’s and the feeling of safety in the wet is fantastic. No longer get the touch of nerves when you come across standing water on the motorway, they go through it like its not there and greasy wet bends are no bother at all.

Check with you cars main dealer to see what other size tyres will fit on your rims, it might give you a bit more choice of brands and models you can fit.

tracknicko
    Free Member

Do you put Halfords Bike Hut specials on your bikes? R&D costs money, and in my experience is worth it. Cost effectiveness is one thing, but handling and performance count for cars as well as bikes.

you do appreciate the difference between a vehicle with 2 wheels ridden to its (my) limit and a vehicle with 4 wheels driven to the shops?

tracknicko
    Free Member

independent (non manufactrer) stats please.

doubt there’s all that much in it most the time, and if there is i’d wager the softer compouds used wont give either the fuel economy or wear rate you’d ideally like.

kanza
    Free Member

independent (non manufactrer) stats please.

Report: Budget Tyres Could Kill, But at Least They’re Quiet

http://www.tyrepress.com/News/1/22/20196.html

if there is i’d wager the softer compouds used wont give either the fuel economy or wear rate you’d ideally like.

LOL, I’ll take your bet. I’d rather not endanger myself, family or others..

hora
    Free Member

I can’t talk for anyone else but I bought a MX5 and it came with 4x SA tyres. Boy were they lethal. Going into a damp bend you’d have over, then under then oversteer. Wierd. Then one day just driving normally the rear snapped out- not stepped out but snapped out. Binned them and fitted Goodyears alround. After that the car was beautiful.

Aristotle
    Free Member

ps. New tyres always feel better than old tyres that are past their best.

tracknicko
    Free Member

tyrepress dot come?

not exactly peer reviewed that one is it?

wrightyson
    Free Member

Those event tyres on the transit killed several pairs of my pants tracknicko!!!

hora
    Free Member

Event tyres…where every journey is an event.

That should be their advertising strapline..

Jerome
    Free Member

Conti sport contact have been on my cars for the last few years.
    Load of grip, but they do wear quite quickly.
    Seem cheap tome compared to anything biking.
    I will put four new ones on soon, as lack of tread in the rain is what is most dangerous.

craigxxl
    Free Member

tracknicko – Member
    tyrepress dot come?

Tyre braking results

Premium Vs Budget Comparison

Nobby

Tyretest.com

Started in Germany for real user data/reviews.

I decided to save money a few months back by sticking some top-end Falkens on my car rather than the Continentals it came with – the difference was so noticable that I have swapped the half worn Conti’s from the back to the front to get decent grip/handling back.

nickf
    Free Member

tyrepress dot come?

There’s none as blind as those who won’t see! Sources below are not peer-reviewed, true, but the information sources are reputed motoring magazines (Autocar and What Car).

The big difference seems to be wet grip, and specifically, the stopping distances. My personal experience is that there’s very poor lateral grip and stability, but that’s rarely tested.

http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article/Autocar-Tyre-Test-Budget-Tyre-Performance.htm

http://www.tyreblog.co.uk/2010/information-safety-risks-buying-cheap-budget-tyres-517

The video below (again, What Car data) makes the point very well.

coffeeking
    Free Member

This one comes about pretty much monthly. Buy decent quality cheaper tyres and you’ll get the benefits of great performance at medium price. Cheap ones are death traps waiting to happen (even if you don’t drive like a nut, I’ve had them fall apart internally and collapse) and really expensive ones don’t seem to offer any benefits for the price (I’ve run some high end continentals that performed just as well as the cheaper ones and wore at the same rate). There’s one or two exceptions to this but generally “good quality” tyre is more important than brand name. There’s plenty of review sites though these need to have the chaff sorted out of them too.

jonba
    Free Member

Just out of (genuine) interest, how do you notice the difference in grip?

I can see how in a bike tyre you would but in a car it is extrememly rare I ever take the car to the limit of it’s grip to find out how much better one tyre set would be over another.

molgrips
    Free Member

Real user reviews are pointless though. Almost every time someone chnages old tyres for new they’ll be loads quieter and better grip. It’d have to be a very discerning user to make a decent comparison, preferably a track dayer too.

I wonder how many people fit new tyres and then say hit a patch of diesel, thereby causing them to think the tyres are rubbish? Not accusing people on here specifically.

coffeeking
    Free Member

Hard acceleration out of junctions.
    Acceleration away from wet junctions while turning.
    Whether the ABS gets triggered early on hard braking to roundabouts I regularly use.
    Hard braking into wet roundabouts (ie. braking and cornering)
    Hoofing it round roundabouts and seeing whether they drift earlier or later than expected.
    [all of the above where and when safe I might add, so with good visibility, no pedestrians or other traffic on wide roads with run-off in case you get a nasty surprise, around here there’s plenty of places this can be done without risking others which is of paramount importance of course]
    Generally after a few hundred miles of driving I find a safe and convenient spot and test them to their limit at lower speeds (closed car park with a known surface), which gives me a reasonable estimation of how they will deal with “problems” on road at higher speeds.

Real user reviews are pointless though. Almost every time someone chnages old tyres for new they’ll be loads quieter and better grip. It’d have to be a very discerning user to make a decent comparison, preferably a track dayer too.

You can generally tell that from the reviews. Discard them if they don’t look sane. I’ve not fallen foul of this method before and generally agree with the folk I think are making a reasonable call in the review so I am willing to keep making those judgements.

treaclesponge
    Free Member

Always had Pirelli or Michelin on my Leon FR and found them good, if a little quick to wear. Always put it down to it being FWD diesel so a heavy front end. Got some Hankook Ventus’ on at the moment, bottom end of the pricey tyres I would normally get and they are excellent. Grip like puppy excrement to a mattress when cornering hard in wet or dry. They were about £40 a corner cheaper than the top notch stuff and potentially, better performing. Quieter too.

Nobby

jonba – Member

I can see how in a bike tyre you would but in a car it is extrememly rare I ever take the car to the limit of it’s grip to find out how much better one tyre set would be over another.

With most (front wheel drive) cars, understeer will be more pronounced, stopping distances greater & wheelspin easier.

falkirk-mark

I realised one day 3 of my tyres could do with changing as they had worn on the inside, took it to a local (but not my normal garage) the guy fitted his cheapo equvilant of what I normally buy ‘Barums’ they cost the same as the barums and the grip was horrendous, (I went to pull out at a junction and the front wheels started spinning) I had hardly ever spun that car in the 3 years previously, car was traded in 3 months later, Buy Kumho Barum etc and do not drive like a knob and you will be fine.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I normally buy ‘Barums’ they cost the same as the barums and the grip was horrendous

Holey jesus, worse than Barums – that takes some doing. Barums are bloody aweful hard-compound junk. 6 years they were on my other halfs car, they were shocking from the start and I wanted to change them but she didn’t. After changing them to winter tyres during the winter she noted how much better the winter tyres were in the dry, in the summer. And this is from someone who literally never pushes the car. Nothing on earth would make me buy a barum again.

nickf
    Free Member

The instructor on my, er, safety camera non-optional learn-in session was insistent on decent tyres and changing well before the legal limit.

Summed up rather well below – I’m paraphrasing only a little.

“And if you can’t find an extra tenner or so per tyre to have something reasonable fitted, remember that the difference for all four tyres is probably less than a tank of fuel. Drive a bit less and find the money.”

Del

this one does come up every now and then. unless you’re getting the suspension system refreshed every 40k or so on your car, the ability to stop and manoeuvre is compromised, and many, many folk seem to think that this is ok, or at least happy to overlook it. by extension, spend a ‘reasonable’ amount on tyres if it makes you feel better, but you’d be better off driving to the conditions and paying attention. unless you’re driving a powerful sportscar you’ll never notice the difference in a run of the mill car unless you fit some real shockers or you have incorrect ( high ) pressures in them.
    go to a decent independent tyre place, tell ’em you don’t want to spend the earth, but you don’t want cr4p either. you’ll probably come out with something marginally more expensive than the bottom of the line, but not much more.
    i saved between 80 or 100 quid a corner on my fast car by going from bridgestones to toyos, which gripped better and rode better, in all conditions. expensive does not equal better.
    x7 and Sektors or Pikes BTW. 😀

maxray
    Free Member

wah loads of replies, cheers one and all. Will stick with the michelen’s and have a google for the best lasting.

ta!

BadlyWiredDog

Which tyres are best for four-wheel drifts in my turbo diesel sport estate? I need predictable break-away characteristics coupled to good feel at and beyond the limit. Any suggestions? Should I stick with Barum or would I be better with a tyre I saw which just has Chinese characters on the sidewall? If the latter, how can I tell what size it is? 😐

hora
    Free Member

Buy Kumho Barum etc and do not drive like a knob and you will be fine.

This is a narrow-minded conception. There will be one event, just one in your life of driving that a good quality tyre will either save you or stop you hitting another.

Plus- good wet weather performance- you’ll be doing 70 on the motorway at somepoint, why not have that little bit extra in your arsenal?

Be tight on other things, not the things that make contact with your road.

Unless you ride on budget tyres for mountain biking of course.

M6TTF
    Free Member

just put a pait of toyo proxes T1R on the front of my leon FR (petrol). Had budget tyres on when I got it and I’ll admit they were better than I thought they would be, but wore out fast.

Toyos seem a good hlafway house – and the tread pattern is ace which satisfys the tart in me

hora
    Free Member

😆 I’m a real tart for matching tread patterns on cars 😆

monkey_boy
    Free Member

havent read most of the above but im never buying budgets again.

this time last year i put 2 budgets on my fiesta (Mohawks)and 2 mid range falkens on the wifes (same model of car), shes done about 6k miles ive done about 3k and mine are nearly bald and theres a good bit of tread left on hers!

you can to the touch, feel the difference in the compound, the falkens are soft mine are like rock.

if you actually look at the cost of tyres and as said above there is only about a tenner jump from budget to half decent.

john_drummer
    Free Member

I got three new tyres on our Citroen c4 last MOT; fourth had recently been replaced. I chose budget tyres because I was on a budget. Dreadful things, noise like a WWII jeep.

Can’t wait for them to wear out. At 20k+ miles a year, shouldn’t take too long

I drive like an old man so exceeding their limits shouldn’t happen very often

hora
    Free Member

I drive like an old man so exceeding their limits shouldn’t happen very often

and if you ever had anything adverse happen you’d probably over react or panic? (Understandable reaction).

Better tyres give you confidence.

Same with mountain biking.

Edukator
    Free Member

For those that want independant tests you can do worse than ADAC

20 metres less stopping distance for 20e is what the headline translates to.

Page 2 (Seite 2) has the results by tyre. The Conti, Michelin and Uniroyal fans will be reassued their money was well spent.

falkirk-mark

Better tyres can give you overconfidence.

Same with mountain biking.
    FTFY

hora
    Free Member

Maybe we should have a Jedsexi for driving?

richmtb

FWIW I find Uniroyal Rain Sports are excellent and they are cheaper than Michelin / Conti / Goodyear.

They have grip when you need it for scottish roads – in the wet.

The car (Leon FR) came with Goodyear Excellence which I stuck with for a while. While grippy and predictable they wore quickly and were a bit fragile – esily damaged sidewalls. I tried Falken FK452’s decent in the dry okay in the wet but the wear rate was horrendous. I switched to Uniroyal Rain Sports. Good in the dry – almost as good as the Goodyear, excellent in the wet and the wear rate seems very good – well for me! £100 a corner from black circles on 225/45 R17

mrmo
    Free Member

whilst i agree that spending a bit more on tyres can make sense,

I would just like to add, the roads are for getting from a to b on if you feel the need to race go on a trackday. A “fun” road with lots of corners could equally be seen as a road where cyclists/pedestrians/horses try and escape the wannabe racing drivers. only to find a **** coming round a blind corner at 60mph.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 102 total)

The topic ‘Are higher end car tyres worth the cash?’ is closed to new replies.