Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)
  • Are Fox forks that bad ??
  • LoCo
    Free Member

Fox are good, aside of the ‘blip’ with the linear air springs and damping on 2013 that’s.
    The EVO stuff isn’t great if you’ve paid RRP on it compared to Rockshox at same price level.
    Service schedules are pretty much the same for rockshox, pikes really do need to have lower service regularly as you only have 5ml of lower lube in the damper side.
    The 2015 36 float RC2 I’m currently running on one of my bike is incredible in standard spec. and honestly the best fork I’ve ever had performance wise, on par with the Deville & should be more relaible.
    Price wise yes with online price sh@**ing of Rockshox pikes they are alomost half the price, but the 36 is a better fork if you can stretch to it or if it comes as standard on a new bike.
    If the 36 is anything to go by the new 34 should be very good, but we’ll wait & see.

chestrockwell

I think Fox got complacent. For a good 5 years they were the fork to have and no one bought anything else. Pretty much all the bike manufactures stuck Fox on their high end stuff with other brands put on bikes further down the food chain. All reviews said Fox were best. People (including me!) seemed to ignore the fact that they were made of cheese and it was more then likely the stantions would wear. On the back of all this they kept sticking the price up and people kept buying.

Then Rockshox got their act together, improving year on year and aggressively discounting to make prices very tempting. Wasn’t long before their range was at least as good and in most cases better then Fox. People realised and switched allegiance.

What do Fox do now? I can’t imagine they will want to admit defeat and bring their prices down to sensible levels as they seem to want to cling on to their premium tag.

I’m after some forks and have been keeping an eye on second hand 34’s. Problem is, however good they are they’re not as good as Pikes. People who paid £700+ for the 34’s obviously don’t want to give them away but Pikes can be had for less then £500 making any second hand 34’s over £350ish a poor buy IMO. If I saw a set for £250ish I could be tempted but I imagine someone who has paid anywhere near rrp would want far more.

After all that guff what I mean to say is Fox are not bad, infact they’re good but compared to what else is available they cost too much. If you can get Rev’s for £350 or Pikes for £450 why would you pay more for secondhand Fox?

br
    Free Member

where was this again?

Alltricks doing 26″ RC 160mm Pikes at 450 euros = £330

tbh Renton though you’ve only just posted your fork add and I for one thought that Fox’s off a Giant meant the funny steerer size?

hora
    Free Member

I think the 2015 Fox 34’s are the ones to get. I had a set of 13(?) 34’s cheap and sold them cheap- just felt wooden.

Pikes are a winner too- just a cheaper winner and thats not a bad thing.

renton
    Free Member

Br it was the 2014 that were the funny sized steered. Overdrive 2 is was called.

For this year giAnt went back to a normal taper on their forks.

I have put that in the ad too.

razorrazoo

Sold a set of unridden (so basically brand new) Fox 32s off my Zesty last year as fitted new forks at time of purchase. They were 140mm 32 Evos. Got just over £200 on eBay.

Most people know the Evo versions are basic internals and so value reflects this as they are not so sought after. Same goes for the rear shocks (looking to upgrade at some point but may as well keep the exitig shock as a spare as so little value).

Nick

I saw your add in the classifieds and was interested in whether they would sell.

My own experience is with a pair of Fox Float Evo CTDs on a 2014 Giant Trance, with the overdrive steerer.

They are a big disappointment after the Revelations I had on my last bike (on my wife’s bike now), I had hoped they would improve after a few months of riding, but they are harsh with almost no small bump sensitivity in the trail setting, so I find I have to keep switching to descend on anything remotely rough, which means they bounce around if I’m pedaling.

It doesn’t help that they don’t have the trail adjust of the FIT damper equipped forks.

So, I guess this means that when I replace them with Revs or Pikes I will be left with a pair of forks that aren’t worth anything.

Milkie
    Free Member

I would love the try Fox…
    But the question no one can answer.. “When are Fox releasing the 2015 Fox 26 TALAS, 180/140?”. The answer I get is, we will, but we don’t know when. My Lyriks are shit.

jameso

New 2016 Fox 34 FLOAT 27.5+ goes wide to fit plus-sized mountain bike tires!

I wonder if this will get more Fox forks on bikes next year.

renton
    Free Member

To be fair I can’t fault them apart from the fact they aren’t long enough.

I don’t feel them flexing despite being a heavy lad myself.

I thought they might appeal to someone doing a budget 650b build.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Ignore what a lot of people say.

Including you? 😉

I wonder if this will get more Fox forks on bikes next year.

Saw that Mr O. But a new hub standard too…? I like the idea of it and it makes sense – but do we need it?

hora
    Free Member

Rentons fork has a unique steerer? WTF.

So Renton will either have to find someone who has/needs the same fork as theirs is goosed (slim) or buy a new CSU?

Probably best storing the forks, buy new forks (with h/set adaptors?) then when you come to sell – sell the F&F as a package.

Nick

Renton’s fork doesn’t (2015), mine does (2014 Giant Overdrive)

They are both compatible with tapered headtubes, but the overdrive one needs a specific headset and stem

renton
    Free Member

Hora read what I have wrote ffs.

Mine has a normal tapered steerer.

Giant went to a funny size in 2014 but switched back in 2015.

hora
    Free Member

Okay okay keep your alans on ya big angry bear.

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

If it’s any consolation I have a set of 150mm 32s with a straight 1.5″ steerer. WTF. There’s literally no point in even trying to sell those, the market for them is non existent because who wants flexy forks on a bike that’s got a 1.5″ steerer??

They’re not bad forks so they’re sat in the shed and get an occasional airing on my Jekyll if I’m riding it places where Totems are a bit big.

amedias
    Free Member

paulrockcliffe – if you do want to sell them super cheap they’d be grand on my Mrs’s ‘Dale, even better if they are QR!

continuity
    Free Member

The ludicrousness that is a full 1.5in headtube mated to QR dropouts.

jameso

Saw that Mr O. But a new hub standard too…? I like the idea of it and it makes sense – but do we need it?

Do we need it.. depends what you want and why I guess. Hard to get excited over +3mm chainline when bikes have been out there for a few years with wider DH hubs and 83mm BBs. Some may say the +10-15mm Q-factor is a problem with 83mm BBs but I’d be happy enough on it.
    (sorry, OT .. maybe a new post for that new fork link would have been better)

Northwind

Milkie – Member

My Lyriks are shit.

Get them fixed? Lyriks are as heavy as a rock but unless they’re 2-step, they’ve never been shit. And 2-step you can fix easily by throwing the 2-step in the bin.

PJM1974
    Free Member

Still can’t forgive Fox for their year on year price hikes and short product life cycles. Basically, it boils down to the fact that if I’m going to spend a grand on a fork, it needs to be future proof because I ain’t buying another for a good few years yet.

Would I buy a secondhand Fox? Absolutely, provided the stanchions were in fine fettle.

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

Do we need it.. depends what you want and why I guess. Hard to get excited over +3mm chainline when bikes have been out there for a few years with wider DH hubs and 83mm BBs. Some may say the +10-15mm Q-factor is a problem with 83mm BBs but I’d be happy enough on it.

I was referring more to the 110mm hub proposed by Fox. 🙂

jameso

Ha, yes.. I was thinking about the ‘Boost’ F+R hub design that the 110×15 front is part of – Trek’s new thing – and pinballed a bit. Rowley Birkin moment : )

P-Jay
    Free Member

Are Kashmir stanchions softer than the older ones – I’ve got some 2010 36’s stupid open bath damper aside they’ve been amazing, but the allure of Kashimir to match my fancy Float X shock – but all the ones I’ve seen on eBay / Pinkbike look like they’ve been had at with a bar file – there’s a few that look okay bar a few tiny marks but they want almost new money for them – certainly more than a new set of Pikes.

And there was me thinking 26″ stuff was worthless now!

Normy
    Free Member

I’m gonna throw a spanner in the works here….

Iv got a 2013 Zesty. Came with fox 32 150mm CTD evos, and a float CTD Evo on the back. I thought they were a good idea having come from a DH background moving to XC/trail after an injury incase I decide to have a dab on anything silly. They stay in climb I’d say 50% of the time and in trail the other 50%. I honestly can’t fault them in these settings. I love them! The very few times I have used descent setting to play on id say it’s not the best Iv felt. Was very ‘spongy’ and dipped heavily under heavy breaking in the corners. But the end of the day it’s what you use it for. I don’t think its claimed to be a hardcore downhill drop taker…. It’s an all rounder that can cope well in most situations should you need it.

Well that’s what I think anyway. It’s certainly done well for me. As said previously, I too don’t like the feel of rock shox. Personal preference. And that’s just it, I think they got some bad press and its dented them slightly. Its not the best fork Iv had by a long way… But it’s definatly not the worst.

My opinion of course…. Bring me back a pair of triple clamp bombers anyday! 🙂

dooge
    Free Member

I had 2011 Lyrik RC2DH coils for a year and they were pants. Divey, useless at any small bump compliance, not exactly stiff, under damped and the dust seals used to love sucking in dirt and dust ruining the anodising on the stanchion. They were £899 new! I sold them for a measly £175 because they were knackered.

I have replaced them with 2012 Fox 36 Tala FIT CTD Kashima’s. Sensible tool free dropouts, stiff, compliant, much better damped and thats only a few rides in. They probably were closer to £1k but I paid £300 in excellent condition.

As someone said they are only worth what someone wants to pay. Considering all the change Fox have gone through recently since their linear-gate fiasco in 2013 Id say they are doing a better job of persuading consumers and manufacturers that they are back on track. Compare Fox with Marzocchi and how long any recovery from bad decisions has been.

chickenman

Kashmir stanchions

.That’s new; I’ve only ever seen it used in jumpers….

Northwind

Kashmir eh? In the press pics it always looks lovely and golden but with mine, all I see turns to brown

deviant
    Free Member

I’ve had Fox, X-Fusion and Rockshox on my bikes, never owned Marzocchi but ridden a mates bike with the new 350’s….I consider myself very average, my best racing result was finishing in the top third of the field at the FoD mini-DH one year….and to be honest I struggle to tell the difference between any of them!

I’m sure a lot of average riders like me get caught up in the hype of a new release (Pikes?) or read a review by an elite rider who can actually feel any drawbacks in the forks they’re testing and then the seed is planted for ourselves, call it placebo if you like, the power of suggestion maybe?….Revelations are good forks and were seen as a good upgrade a little while ago however once the new Pikes were released you’d be forgiven for thinking they turned into crap overnight!….suddenly nobody wants them and out come all the cliches (they’re flexy etc), progress is always welcome but suspension in particular is about feel and can therefore be very subjective.

I’d happily have a Fox-34 on my bike, I’d probably send it to TF, Mojo etc for some fettling but I do that with all my forks anyway!…can’t say I’d spend 1k on a fork as that sounds bonkers to me given that the best ‘feel’ I’ve ever had from a fork is still the 2013 Sektor (coil spring) that currently provides damping duties on my hardtail….and they retail for less than £250!

I’ve never ridden any Bos items so I’d like to try their stuff one day, seeing as they are OEM on some of the Capras I may well go that way for my next complete build in a year or two.

The best advice I can give fellow average riders like me is to spend £100 on your current forks by having them set up properly for your bike, your riding and your weight by one of the many companies out there, throwing away a £500 fork to replace with another £500 fork before an expert has had their hands on the original one you’re having problems with seems like throwing the baby out with the bath water!
    Also don’t rule out coil conversions, it’s something TFtuned offer and for some bikes, riders etc it can be preferable….an extreme example but Danny Hart is back on coil suspension now he’s moved to Mondraker and Marzocchi!…air suspension gets better year on year but it’s not the only option if you’re having issues.

LoCo
    Free Member

extreme http://singletrackworld.com/forum/forum/bike-chatexample but Danny Hart is back on coil suspension now he’s moved to Mondraker and Marzocchi!..

Given that he can only use marz units, do you think that might be something to do with their air shocks…. 😉

& yes regular maintenance & servicing does make a big difference along with actually setting them up correctly.
    A good 50% or more of riders don’t have them anywhere close (from watching from the side of the trail)
    Setup guide here: http://locotuning.co.uk/tech-info.html

hora
    Free Member

Well put deviant

kimbers

Agree about setup

My pikes were feeling wooden, played with the pressure, twiddked the nobs etc,

Tf tuned tip of getting some lube past the dust seals with a zi tie and hey presto , all lovely again !

rhayter

I have to agree with hora about 2015 Fox 34s. They’re not the lightest, but at 140mm, mine are pretty spot-on. Stiff enough for my lardy arse and respond beautifully to every kind of bump I’ve thrown at them so far (no big, lumpy rock gardens so far, though).

yorkycsl
    Free Member

Agree with andysredmini completely,
    I’ve just sold pikes in favour of new 36 rc2’s which are superb, the feeling over the 34’s is amazing & you feel like you can hit anything harder.
    That’s said the factory 34’s are good though TFT do a re tune for them & they really do improve, they also do something similar for the kashima ctd rear shock.

Cheers
    Mark

hora
    Free Member

Are Fox’s bad?

Ppl complain about Fox stanchion wear.

Yet forget that Rockshox also had stanchion wear issues too.

jimmy

My forks just sold for £140 posted. I feel slightly robbed but can’t complain if that’s what they’re worth on the open market.

Northwind

@Hora- Rockshox stanchions can wear but when did they ever have “stanchion wear issues”? It’s been a recurring issue for Fox for as long as I can remember, despite several seal revisions and coating revisions all promising to fix it (and randomly changing service intervals).

Anyone doubt that most worn stanchions are Fox? Especially wear not caused by neglect? (despite heroic efforts from BOS to punch above their weight)

LoCo
    Free Member

The most worn forks each year are the forks that are most commonly fitted to mass market bikes, so it tends to fluctuate from year to year what we see.
    Everything wear if not maintained, expect to start getting ‘my pike stantions have worn, but I haven’t done anything to them for a year’ soon as there are loads of them about…

Edit: I run Fox, rockshox & DSP units currently on my bike but have had Xfusion and various other bit, quite fancy trying some of the New MRP stuff just had a few Stage rear shocks in for Project enduro which are very nice so one maybe replacing the DSP on the back of the FS. 😀

hora
    Free Member

I ran 36 floats for 2yrs in the Peaks and before that 36 talas (da’an saf) and religious after every ride I’d dab oil on the stanchions and cycle the forks until the dirt ring had gone/wiped away.

Peaks is very very gritty gritstone and lots of sand too so its naturally you might experience more wear round here on any forks.

SirHC

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Are Fox forks that bad ??’ is closed to new replies.