Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)
  • Are Fox forks that bad ??
  • renton
    Free Member

Trying to sell a pair of 2015 forks at what I thought was a good price and have had very little interest?

Is this down to the reputation of fox stuff taking abit of a dive in the last couple of years as other maunfacturers have caught them up ??

I know people have slated the previous incarnations of the FOX ctd stuff but the newer stuff is meant to be better?

What do you think?

smatkins1
    Free Member

There stuff isn’t bad at all… In fact it’s incredibly good.

Fox have defiantly dropped out of the limelight a bit. Everyone seems obsessed by Pikes. I bet you could prob pick up a new pair of pikes from Europe for what you’re selling your fox’s for.

If you stick it out for a few more weeks I suspect the market will pickup now people are dusting off their bikes now the sun’s out.

dirtydog
    Free Member

Hard to see past a Pike, perhaps?

By all accounts the new 36 is comparible but costs close to a grand.

honourablegeorge

You can get a 26″ Pike new for 450 Euro.

Add that to the damage done to their reputation with the CTD forks, and Fox start to seem like very poor value.

officerfriendly
    Free Member

I thought they were the best out there, are they not?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I don’t think so. I’d rather run Rock Shox (got Fox at the moment) regardless of price.

The ’30 hours of riding’ service interval is rubbish. As a guide I’d rack that up in a week.

I’m sure there’s a reason for Fox charging what they do, but if I were buying aftermarket I’d not give them a second look.

neilforrow

Not in terms of value for money (at retail). The 2014/15 stuff works well but is expensive and fickle to maintain. The 2013/14 stuff was really bad and I experienced mojo’s response of, ‘we can fix it, at a price’.

The relatively reasonable price of the pikes also adds to the mix.

I picked up a set of new 34’s, fit, ctd jobbies for £200.00. Great deal and a very good fork and shows Fox 2nd had prices have taken a hammering.

However, the new pike, with warranty, that have also been very good were ~£400.00 new. Not 1k.!.

renton
    Free Member

I certainly can’t fault these to be honest and I’m only selling to fund a longer travel pair of forks.

Even on eBay there seems to be loads of them going quite cheap.

It almost makes me want to stick them in the shed as spares or for a second bike.

I can’t see pikes for anywhere near my price.

I’m looking at 150mm revs.

greasyrider
    Free Member

neilforrow, don’t mean to hijack the thread, but where do you get new Fox 34’s for £200 from?

renton
    Free Member

I would like to know that too as would buy some of those And sell the 32’s cheaper.

Northwind

They’re not bad forks… But the 32 is an XC fork stretched too far, at long travel it’s uncompetitive with the Revelation. So instead of making a competitive 32, they invented the 34, because Fox know their best sales opportunities come from their own faults. But it’s barely stiffer than a Rev, and then along came the Pike and made it look silly. And all that on top of some pretty ropey damping options.

And now they’ve launched the 36, which is probably great but makes the 34 look even more pointless, while being basically twice the price of a Pike. So all the way through the long travel segment, which is definitely the one that catches the attention these days, they’ve either had their arses kicked, or kicked it themselves.

(personally I took the right hump over their 15mm bullshit- and doubly so now that, as soon as they got their inferior standard to number one, they instantly turned around and said “Look, the 36 is better than a Pike because 20mm”. *****. And now they’re selling a 110mm spacing QR15, which is incompatible both with maxle and with QR15. *****)

orangeboy
    Free Member

My first generation 34 talas were rubbish but every thing I’ve had has been great
    Second hand means a big drop in value no matter how nice they are

renton
    Free Member

Aye but isnt £200 for a set of 2015 forks that have done 50 miles a good buy ?? Or not?

scotroutes

I think you might have read this before somewhere…. but they’re only worth whatever folk are willing to pay.

orangeboy
    Free Member

What forks have you been trying to sell

scotroutes

The ones on the For Sale part of the forum…..

renton
    Free Member

Sorry this isnt a for sale ad disguised as a bike forum post.

I was genuinely interested as when I first started riding Fox was all the rage and Rockshox/mantou etc were seen as the inferior forks.

now it seems to be the otherway around.

orangeboy
    Free Member

Mojo were doing some the other day at £399 all brand new with warranty but now sold
    Out
    But I am surprised they have not gone for that price
    I’d assumed you had somthing with out spec but there normal and current

maxtorque

I think for the average UK mountain biker, something like a 130mm fox 32 is a good fork. Unfortunately, these days, the mags are all about “the gnar” and 160mm forks etc. XC just isn’t trendy anymore. As such, the more hardcore targeting offerings from RockShox have been grabbing the headlines, and with them generally being cheaper, have pushed Fox out of the limelight recently.

The good news is that you can now buy a great fork for just £200 as a result!

renton
    Free Member

If these could be extended then I would do that as I only want to raise the front of my bike up a bit. Unfortunatley they cant?

Maxtorque who are you reffering to when you say …”The good news is that you can now buy a great fork for just £200 as a result!”

Saying all of this though the FOX ctd rear shock that was fitted to my bike has blown already !!

maxtorque

It’s a good market for buyers Renton, not sellers……. 😉

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

If you want to raise your front end, a spacer under your stem is a cheaper option.

D0NK

Izzit coz they is a well dodgy wheel size?

honourablegeorge

maxtorque – Member
    I think for the average UK mountain biker, something like a 130mm fox 32 is a good fork.

Probably true, but the Reba/Revelation are better ones – stffer, better damped, and crucially, they’re miles cheaper.

neilforrow

neilforrow, don’t mean to hijack the thread, but where do you get new Fox 34’s for £200 from?

They were off a new bike. So new, but not boxed etc.

Renton, I’d say £200 is more than a fair price.

jimmy

I’ve been watching your forks with interest. I have the 34 version and tried with a similar lack of success to sell a lightly used pair – they’re now on the free market of ebay as they’re only worth whatever folk are willing to pay. Will find out on Sunday what that is…

If you want to do a swap, I’m after a pair of forks like yours, ie 32 rather than 34. I was going to buy revs, but I did like my Fox to ride so not averse to them.

andysredmini
    Free Member

Ignore what a lot of people say. Fox forks are very good. The problems start when people read too much on the internet and it gets repeated and people start believing it. One quote from another thread sums it up for me ‘Nah, don’t bother, Fox are shite, although it’s been nearly ten years since I’ve owned a pair”. I have no idea how someone could sit and write the above comment. The other problem comes from peoples basing their opinions on lower models of the fork i.e the oem ones that come standard on a lot of bikes. I currently have 4 pairs of fox forks. 2 pairs of factory kashima ones and 2 pairs of oem ones. The factory versions are amazing and In my opinion are much better than any rockshocks i have had/used. The oem ones are very good but nothing special compared to the factory versions. I admit the factory versions are expensive but who pays full price anyway. On the flip side the pikes are amazing value and hard to look past.

renton
    Free Member

Jimmy Im at work at the moment so cant send you an email.

I would be very interested in your forks so is there any chance you could drop me an email with some pics etc and we can have achat.

andyman
    Free Member

Jimmy – why are you going from 34 to 32?

And Renton I’ve looked at yours and they’re not quite what I’m after. But good luck with the sale.

renton
    Free Member

Ah cancel that Ive just found your ad and the steerer is to short !!

jimmy

Ach well…

Andyman – bought them on a full suss, the frame of which I’ve since sold. Transferred everything to an HT except the forks – “too much fork” for what I want.

scotroutes

Aye, but would it handle the commute to and from work? I’ve heard those forest tracks are really gnarly.

dandasbike
    Free Member

Fox seem pretty pointless at the moment when rockshox offerings are as good if not better and can be had for half the outlay not to mention the ease and apparent lack of service they require.

MrSynthpop
    Free Member

I swore off Fox for the foreseeable future when I found out about the maintenance expectations, used to see them as the premium brand but Rock Shox have raised their game and Fox seem to have had a few issues recently. Hope you can shift them for a decent price however as they are nice forks.

jimmy

honourablegeorge – Member
    You can get a 26″ Pike new for 450 Euro.

where was this again?

scotroutes

£450 close enough?

jimmy

Not when there’s a pram to buy :-/

goldenwonder
    Free Member

God rid of my Pike’s after being fed up of leaking Charger dampers, top out knocking, air leaks etc etc & upgraded to Fox 36’s.
    The difference is incredible, OK it’s a faff having to get the 5mm out every time I want to remove or fit the front wheel, but it’s a small price to pay for the sheer performance improvement, simply incredible fork.
    Cant comment on the 34’s as I haven’t tried them. 32’s were great on my xc bike with 100mm travel, but above 120 they’re just too flexy.

kimbers

my pikes have been super reliable and ive serviced em twice in 18months of abuse, ukges, ews, alps, megavalanche etc

they are stiff, light, and nearly as good as my rc3tis, they only loose out in small bump vs brake dive compared to the marzocchis but a fair bit lighter,

im sure the 36s are great, but twice the price?, a grand is way above what im prepared to pay

mindmap3
    Free Member

Fox have had their wobbles; the first CTD forks that I rode were hideous things. I currently have some ex demo 34 Floats on my Switchback that Mojo have fiddled with and their much better (if anything the trail setting is now too firm). Would I pay a grand for them? No way, but for what I paid for them I’m pretty happy.

I also have a pair of 05 36’s that are still going strong. They’ve never been serviced more regularly than once a year and their fine; still on their original CSU etc. The Devilles that have replaced them are much more controlled but not as stiff.

Personally, I’m not a fan of Rock Shox. I can’t put my finger on it, but I just don’t like the feel of the suspension action. I think I was the only person who hated the original Pikes. Mine were rubbish. I don’t think they’re all that cheap either. When I was building up my Switchback there was nothing that seemed to be brill value for money in my eyes.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 94 total)

The topic ‘Are Fox forks that bad ??’ is closed to new replies.