Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)
  • Are flashing lights 'very frustrating and dangerous' for pedestrians?
  • butcher

High-viz and lights required for walking the dog? I’m oot.

gwaelod
    Free Member

There are some bioluminescent sea creatures, maybe we can cross a deep sea octopoid with a black lab and genetically engineer a glow in the dark purple trail hound.

project
    Free Member

love the responces from those who dont ride a bike in the dark but become instant experts on beam patterns, definition of the highway, Highway act is any place the public has free access to, the weirdos who walk or run round on a an unlit sustrans provided path with no reflective clothing or a torch with the pooch on a long extending lead, or worse running free and not under control.

then voice their concerns on a BIKE FORUM.

CountZero

Gary_M – Member
    I normally run one front light flashing, and one fixed beam. The pedestrians, joggers and dog walkers seem to have to dress like ninjas.
    Are you suggesting all these people should be wearing high viz clothing? If you really can’t see people wearing normal clothes with a normal light on you’re a hazard on the road.

bencooper – Member
    Just be reasonable. If you bare going to walk on an unlit cyclepath, try to make sure they you do not actively camouflage yourself.
    We’re not talking about actively camouflaging yourself, we’re talking about being able to go for a walk in normal clothes without having to wear a dorky reflective belt in case a cyclist can’t look where they’re going.

If you’re riding on a cycle path in the dark, with no other light source other than what’s on the front of the bike, and the light has a reasonably focused beam with enough outer spread to illuminate the edges of the path, centre spot angled to show the path far enough in front to be safe at ten mph, then you may well be able to pick up peds wearing light coloured clothing, but a great many people don’t, and wear matt black with no reflective patches, which makes them very difficult to pick out until you’re almost on top of them, and dogs running around randomly are a real hazard.
    I’ve ridden back along a riverside path across a playing field with a carved stone seat set off to one side, with a fairly high-powered light on the front, around 800lmn, with a tight centre-spot. As I came up to the seat, I could hear voices, but not actually see anyone, and suddenly a small terrier shot in front of me, straight under my front wheel! It yelped loudly, I’d hit the brake, but still ran over it, absolutely nothing I could do.
    Unlike @bencooper, I’m perfectly capable of not hitting street furniture that’s set off to one side of the path, or a stationary object that’s on the path, but randomly moving objects, dressed in clothing that’s the same colour as the background, and who are actually on the sodding path are a whole other issue.
    I do agree that super-bright flashing lights are very distracting in full darkness, I tend to favour a small flashing light for urban riding, with another steady light for unlit lanes or paths, the little TrustFire R6-A3 lights I’ve had for some years, that put out around 230lmn, mounted on Twofish lockblocks are a good compromise between dazzling others and being able to see where the hell you’re going.

Viewing 4 posts - 81 through 84 (of 84 total)

The topic ‘Are flashing lights 'very frustrating and dangerous' for pedestrians?’ is closed to new replies.