Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Are estate agents normally this confusing?
  • squattingmouse
    Free Member

The estate agent who' handling the house we're buying (first time buyers) phoned this afternoon and asked if completing on the 3rd of September would be OK. We haven't even seen a contract yet and our solicitor is still doing the checks!

Does the estate agent know something we don't?

tonyd

Is there much of a chain above your vendors? He could be trying to hold it together.

Alternatively he could be worried about the recent press spooking you into pulling out and waiting for something cheaper. Seems like sentiment might be turning with regard the housing market so people might start holding off (if they haven't already) and he wants to get the sale through quick.

Of course, he could just be very efficient and earning his commission. From my experience of estate agents that seems unlikely.

BigBikeBash
    Free Member

I think that they are planning a date assuming all the rest goes through as normal. If they don't set a target then nothing will happen. I assume that you have agreed a price subject to everything coming back fine.

Talk to the estate agent and ask for clarification. they are not all arses (although many are) but sometimes forget that just because they do it every day of the year, other people don't know the process.

tiger_roach
    Free Member

Maybe just trying to fix a date in peoples minds to work towards – maybe your sellers want to get things done then for some reason; does seem a bit close given where you are though.

squattingmouse
    Free Member

There is a chain above us but, and here's the good bit…

the vendors go on holiday on the 10th and the people they are buying from go on holiday on the 17th!

Price is agreed, building has been surveyed and mortgage arranged. Our solicitor said we'd probably be hearing from him a week or two so I'll phone him tomorrow and find out if it's all suddenly moved forwards!

tonyd

In that case he's just trying to get everything sorted before the holidays. If everything else is done and you're keen to get in I'd suggest chasing your solicitor often to ensure they're moving as fast as they can.

Have you even exchanged contracts yet? Are they expecting you to complete and exchange on the same day? If survey and everything looks OK then no reason you shouldn't, just not that common AFAIK.

fubar
    Free Member

I'd suggest chasing your solicitor often to ensure they're moving as fast as they can.

Agree – I thought I'd be a good client and leave them to do the job I was paying them to do, but in hindsight I was wrong and it dragged on much longer than it should have. Be a pain in the arse and ring them at least once a week for a status update (are they waiting for somebody else etc ?).

tonyd

More like every day if they want to complete that soon but yes, make a nuisance of yourself if you have to – squeaky wheel and all that. If they're waiting on other people offer to do some chasing for them too, they won't let you but it'll help maintain the sense of urgency.

Sounds like the estate agent might do some of that for you if they're pushing for a quick completion.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Are estate agents normally this confusing?’ is closed to new replies.