Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Are DX doing any good light at the mo?
  • roughneck
    Free Member

Still using the P7 but I want more power!

z1ppy

Magicshine is a better bike specific package but no brighter IMO, though the output has a wider center spot (same can be said for any light which use the P7 LED – Nukeproof/Spokeshirts/et all). I use(d) one on my bars, a P7 torch on my head and believe this is a great setup (my battery’s knackered and I got a Trout mini, but will replace/fix the battery at some point), rarely do I believe a single brighter LED unit would be better overall.
    The Mickey mouse has apparently a better output (again no where near the advertised 1400 lumen’s), though Trout did question the type of LED’s usefulness and output. I’ve met some-one who raves about it and reported it loads better than the std MS unit, but did replace the mounting bracket, as the head unit it heavier and more liable to move on it’s mount.

So you have the choice buying another P7/Magicshine (or Mickey mouse) unit to suppliment the one you have, or buy a Troutie/Luminous unit with loads of output…

Wrongun
    Free Member

I have a mickey mouse and it is very good. I also had to change the mount as the OEM elastic band jobby was not up to the job. It was easy enough though.

As for output, not sure about lumens, but it seems very good. The 2 “ears” provide excellent flood to eliminate the “tunnel vision” effect. They also mean I don’t need a helmet mounted spot. They are also sufficent for riding along dark lanes on the way to the trails to conserve battery. Offroad, on full with the main beam on I can’t imagine why anyone would need more power.

The switch power indicator is abit iffy… if you stay in one mode the light system works well, but confuses itself as you switch around.

Overall very pleased… has been used used weekly since october.

jonb
    Free Member

I recently got the spokeshirts style one. It’s good, nice light and looks well made compared to the older models.

I use it along with the airbike ones on one had a year or so ago.

The addition of another P7 on my helmet over just the one on my bars is fantastic. They compliment each other well, one being flood and the other quite narrow.

I’ve now decided it’s not the number of Lumens but how you use them. IMO there’s little point having 1800 lumens if it’s all very focused and on your bars. You need a good mix of flood and throw. I’ve also found a helemt light more useful than a bar light as you see where you are looking which helps on technical bits, steep drops and climbs* and tight corners.

*bomb holes are terrifying with a bar only light.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

The topic ‘Are DX doing any good light at the mo?’ is closed to new replies.