Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)
  • Are Doc Martens worth it?
  • 6079smithw
    Free Member

They cost like £100 and are made in Taiwan. What’s up with that?

Northwind

I think my last pair was £40! They feel like they’re made of plastic too. Comfy though once your feet are broken in. (that’s the one advantage; most shoes, you need to break in each new pair. DMs, its your feet that get broken in so when you get a new pair they’re comfy)

vondally
    Free Member

Yes,…..

Wally

Yes

PePPeR

No, unless you’ve bought them from the outlet Centre.

Onzadog
    Free Member

Last pair I had used a cardboard lasting board so I’m in no hurry to buy them again. They also seem to make the skin on my feet crack. Never had that with any other footwear.

ctk
    Free Member

Solovair are remarkably similar and made in the UK.

solovair

RamseyNeil
    Free Member

Don’t they still make some in their factory in Northamptonshire . I thought they called it their traditional line or something like that .

officerfriendly
    Free Member

Absolutely love mine, have been wearing them everyday for 3 years and they’re still perfect! Apart from the obvious scuffing (; picked them up for £60 from amazon, I think if you’re lucky you can find a new pair of the made in england ones on the bay.

andermt
    Free Member

They still make some in their UK factory in Wollaston.

They can be picked up cheap in the factory shop, bought a couple of pairs for my lad.
    Lots of pairs in the factory shop are made in Vietnam etc the UK made ones are just that bit better though.

bigblackshed

Ramsey Neil – Member
    Don’t they still make some in their factory in Northamptonshire . I thought they called it their traditional line or something like that .

Made in England is the range name. I suggest you sit down before looking at the price.

The For Life range is made in the Far East, cost about £150-160, and are guaranteed for life. Well, a £20 admin charge and they will repair or replace. 9/10 they just replace. For life, or until they pack up trading.

DezB
    Free Member

Trendy for wimminz again aren’t they… I likes. 😀

cozz
    Free Member

err nope

no good for actually doing any work in

not proper

you want proper

get some ALTBERGS

redstripe
    Free Member

I got some of these last year http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B001383I2K
    Tried on doc shop and then bought off eBay new for way less, great boots, really comfy

fatboyslo
    Free Member

IMHO…… YES,

Made in England range is superb, though I did find some heavily discounted from Secret Sales, rrp is eye watering

Ambrose

Definitely worth it. With daily wear I get through a pair every 18 months or so, when I wear out the soles. Treat the leather well and they last, neglect it and they start to suffer. Luckily for me I enjoy polishing shoes.

slasher

Solovair ones are grrrrrrreat! I have had mine for 5 years and going strong (wore them for the first time to go to the polling station last time). They are very shiny though. I have never once polished mine and they are still not quite weathered looking. Bloody comfy.

stumpy01

Yeah, worth it I reckon. I had some boots at school that lasted years, cost about £30 and were amazingly comfortable once broken in.

Got my wife some soft brown leather zip up DM boots for her birthday years ago and they are still going strong. Cost £90 but are the shoes that outlasted loads of other pairs and are constantly chosen over others.

6079smithw
    Free Member

These ones are reduced. Should I get them?

ski
    Free Member

Worn them since I was 12, hate to think how many pairs I have got through.

They do some for life shoes and boots, which my next pair will be, the leather is thicker and not so plastic on the UK versions, but the shoes are amazing from either factory, I use the steels boots at work, take a wile to bed in but once you are over that they are really comfortable.

Bit of a marmite product, you either love or hate them.

hora
    Free Member

People still buy them!!!

Pigface
    Free Member

Not in my opinion, the ones I had as a teenager were fantastic, I got a pair about 10 years ago and they were awful, felt like some kind of cardboard rather that leather and the soles just vanished. Crazy money these days.

jambalaya
    Free Member

My normal work shoes, I change to smart shoes for meetings but wear the DMs most of the time). I have a couple of colleagues who wear them also. I am very heavy on my feet but my DM shoes are 10 years old and going strong, cost £50 and way more comfortable than some “smart” pairs I have paid £250-300 for 🙁

To answer OPs original question is hard as I don’t know what the current ones are like in terms of quality, the old ones are great is all I can really say

andybrad

had 3 pairs of DM shoes and they all came apart at the sole. the boots didnt.

franciscobegbie
    Free Member

Not in my opinion, the ones I had as a teenager were fantastic, I got a pair about 10 years ago and they were awful, felt like some kind of cardboard rather that leather and the soles just vanished. Crazy money these days.

+1
    I had a few pairs when I was at school and I remember them being great. Recent pairs have been uncomfortable and cheap feeling. Certainly not worth the eye watering price tag.
    Is it just me, but did the shape of the boots change at some point? The 10 hole boots I had way back in 1985 were definitely a different shape from what you get now.

porlus
    Free Member

Got some hardly used 8 hole solovairs from eBay a few months back. Fantastic condition in brown leather that is really thick and soft. £35 plus delivery. Doctor martens before that were the far east type. Really thin leather. Ended up cracking where the toe flexes. Sole was more or less perfect though. This was a couple of years use.
    Comparing the two I would now happily pay rrp for the solovairs. Docs just ain’t worth it anymore. Oh think the made in UK docs are made by solovair anyhow.

konabunny
    Free Member

The Chairman of Dr Martens was one of the “top business leaders” who wrote to the Telegraph endorsing the Tories, if that’s of any interest.

Viewing 27 posts - 1 through 27 (of 27 total)

The topic ‘Are Doc Martens worth it?’ is closed to new replies.