Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Are Crossmarks 2.1 a really bad XC choice for the front
  • hughjengin
    Free Member

Loads of people are using Crossmarks for a rear tyre. I was going to get a pair for XC marathon duties, I was drawn to the 2.1 Crossmarks because of their reports of them being fast tyres. But I hear differing reports of their grip as a front tyre. I run Racekings on my race/marathon hardtail bike in the dry months which are great and super quick, but was just after a less minmalistic tread tyre for the spring months when trail conditions can be mixed. I tend to prioritise minimal rolling resistance and reliability over pretty much everything, so I am not expecting miracles grip wise (I run high rollers on my Trail bike, so I am not expecting any lightweight fast XC race tyre to stick like that),
    but equally dont want to find myself running a scary front tyre !! Of all the tyres i have read up on, the Crossmark seems to have the widest ranging opinions on grip. Some saying great XC all rounders, and other reviews saying "lethal"

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

I used to run crossmarks front and rear and loved them! I ran them tubeless at pretty low pressures, but they were fantastic! I was especially surprised how well they gripped roots. I ran the front one backwards (tread in the opposite direction to the rear) for more braking grip… Go for it! 8)

br
    Free Member

i ran one on the rear this summer along with an RR front, both UST and tubeless , for general use. For enduros i ran normal NN's both ends tubeless due to lightness and not knowing the trails/conditions.

So no help…

IA

Ace front tyre, nice and fast too.

Will depend on what folk are used to how they find them. E.g. if I compare my crossmarks to the ST 2.5 high rollers on the dh bike, they're "lethal" but as a fast XC tyre, they're spot on.

They're more fast than grippy, if that makes sense?

cxi
    Free Member

I've got a pair of Crossmark 2.1s (folding, 70a compound) which have been ridden once for sale – £25 posted. Not a tyre for me but they are for others (ie the folks posting above).

hughjengin
    Free Member

Yes, that makes sense. If I valued grip and downhill confidence over everything on marathon events then I'd ride my Zesty with High rollers on for Enduro's and marathons. Dont get me wrong I love my LP, but its not what I want for events etc, OK I dont take them too serious and I am in most part there for the beer 🙂 but I also like to see what I am capable of in the event as well What I am after is a tyre that is "capable" and relatively predictable in differing conditions, whilst still having the least rolling resistance and speed. On paper the crossmarks fit the bill in that department, however paper is worth jack S**t when you are face down in the cack at the first time you hit anything semi technical ! I love the racekings for speed, and havent ridden them in iffy conditions yet, but I guess that they are going to be way better suited to specific (summer, dry) events.

JamieMc
    Free Member

cxi, ill take the crossmarks if no one else has their eye on them. Email in profile

hughjengin
    Free Member

Thanks for the offer cxi, was looking at the exceptions if I did go for the crossmarks, cheers anyway

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Are Crossmarks 2.1 a really bad XC choice for the front’ is closed to new replies.