• This topic has 37 replies, 28 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by poah.
Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)
  • are cable operated droppers easier to use than a reverb?
  • poah
    Free Member

son has a 100mm reverb but finds it really difficult to use the remote so was thinking about getting a cable operated unit. looking at a KS lev or fox D.O.S.S if I can find one in stock but if they arn’t easier to operate there isn’t any point.

singlespeedstu

Mrs stu damaged her thumb a while ago and finds her reverb difficult to use but she’s still fine with her KS.

Northwind

Matter of taste this, the ergonomics of the reverb one are completely ****ed imo, it’s a horrible thing. Hard to place well (I always say, if your lever works best fitted on the wrong side, upside down, you done screwed up) and even once it’s in a good place it’s awkward.

I like the wee KS one myself, other folks hate it, but there’s also ways to tweak cable ones- there’s the KS southpaw lever, or you can gut a shifter and turn it into a lever for it, pretty tidy.

(someone does make an aftermarket reverb one to be fair, but it’s expensive)

spicer
    Free Member

that would be novyparts ^^

poah
    Free Member

it was the KS southpaw that was appealing.

shredder
    Free Member

KS Southpaw is superb so easy to use like a shifter.

chiefgrooveguru

I find the Gravity Dropper remote a lot nicer to use than the Reverb, despite the latter being all smooth and hydraulic whilst the former is a graunchy old cable yanking a pin out of a divot.

bensales
    Free Member

KS Southpaw is brilliant. So brilliant that as I’ve only just gone 1x I keep finding myself on the top tube when I ‘change gear’.

jamj1974

Southpaw works a treat. Mine has made an already good seatpost (KS Lev) even better.

Kahurangi

I have my LEV attached to a regular XT shifter and it’s lovely like that. The standard lever is ok too. The southpaw is probably more expensive than a spare shifter with a mod!

br
    Free Member

Have you tried moving it etc?

I run mine on the left bar, upside down (it’s a RH one) and between the grip and the brake (no front shifter) – just by my thumb.

pinder318
    Free Member

I’ve got two thomsons and one gravity dropper. Gravity dropper although pig ugly has never had a problem and remote works well the two thomsons aren’t as comfortable to use as there very small but neat but I changed them both to southpaw leavers. Best of both worlds.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Standard ks for me, heaps lighter than the reverb no matter how you mount it. The reverb is going onto the bike I drop the least or eBay.

fudge9202
    Free Member

Like the look ergonomically of the southpaw leer, is it a straight swap to run it with a Thomson Dropper Post

obi1
    Free Member

I’ve gone from a Reverb to a KS Lev with the Southpaw lever. I much prefer it, find it slicker and the remote is night and day better, much easier to find a midway Goldilocks position too – not that I’m overly fussed about that.

Definitely “easier” for a little one’s hands though.

eddiebaby
    Free Member

The remote on my HiLo is awesome. Can be operated in any direction with a tiny amount of pressure.

mattbee

I run my Thimson with a converted SRAM XX front shifter and it is a lovely light action, virtually no effort at all.
    Unfortunately the repeated cartridge failures mean I would hesitate to recommend one as a sound purchase but when it is working it is the best dropper I’ve tried.

martinhutch

I like the Thomson lever action – small enough to tuck out of the way of my unfashionable LH shifter, but so easy to move.

Bit worrying about the cartridge failures Matt – how many have you broken?

stevied
    Free Member

As above, when the Thomson works, it’s great. Mine is now back @ Wiggle for the 2nd time due to the same issue where the post starts to sag when weighted and drops more during seated riding.
    I’m hoping for a refund as I’m not too happy with it having to go back twice for the same reason (the original one was replaced, not repaired, so had the same thing on 2 new posts)
    The lever action is very smooth, especially with one of the adaptors someone on here was making, which drops the remote under the bars into a thumb lever 😉

SirHC

I found most of the cable operated remotes to be pretty awful (except for the specialized SRL, which is essentially a shifter.

http://www.vitalmtb.com/features/How-To-Connect-Your-Dropper-Post-to-Shimano-or-SRAM-Front-Shifter,839

How to make your own dropper post remote

chestrockwell

I prefer my Thomson’s lever to the awful reverb my mate has. Another pals Specialized post is better than the RS also.

Had my Thomson a couple of years now with no reliability issues.

iainc

I have an upside down reverb lever on right on one bike and a Giant Contact one on same side on the other. The Giant lever is easier IMO

Northwind

stevied – Member

As above, when the Thomson works, it’s great. Mine is now back @ Wiggle for the 2nd time due to the same issue where the post starts to sag when weighted and drops more during seated riding.
    I’m hoping for a refund as I’m not too happy with it having to go back twice for the same reason (the original one was replaced, not repaired, so had the same thing on 2 new posts)

Exactly the same as my mate- same fault, post replaced, same fault. This time it’s got random stanchion wear as well after about 2 months riding. Non awesome. But tbh we knew this was going to happen when they admitted they didn’t do any UK testing til after the design was finalised.

mattbee

I’m currently on my 3rd warranty replacement cartridge.
    First lasted about 18 months then developed play & didn’t return fully.
    Replacement was the same after 1 ride.
    Next one lasted a month.
    This one has just started doing the same after about 4 or 5 short rides.
    I just run the post an inch higher in the bike now to account for the bit that won’t extend and will probably run it until it gets too bad & then replace with something else.
    I love everything else about it so it’s a real shame.

grum
    Free Member

What’s wrong with the reverb one?

legend
    Free Member

grum – Member

Ergonomics are terrible, you need to push it in a straight line in a way that thumbs dont really work. I’m ok with it, the Mrs doesn’t get on with it at all

wrecker
    Free Member

Had reverbs for ages, I think they’re good but I’d really like to give the fall line a go.

poah
    Free Member

grum – Member

my 11 year old son can’t depress the button on the move.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

With broken thumbs in the past its not a great design and there is a lot of resistance compared to the cable operated ones.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Aye, it’s very disappointing that they haven’t changed the button design on the new Reverb, pretty poor design ergonomically. I’m fine with it most of the time, but on long descents on the likes of a big Lakes ride, sometimes my admittedly weak left thumb struggles!.

zilog6128

Have a Reverb for my HT which is a great product but I’d agree the ergonomics of the remote are poor. FS came with a HiLo which has a much better remote (requires very little pressure, can be operated in any direction) although the product as a whole feels way less solid.

Northwind

Nobeerinthefridge – Member

Aye, it’s very disappointing that they haven’t changed the button design on the new Reverb, pretty poor design ergonomically.

TBH I think there’s 2 reasons for this… The reason the basic fitment of the remote is so bad, is that it’s designed to work best with the whole sram matchmaker thing. So for them that’s actually a benefit, it’s a selling point for OEMs and looks good on shop floors and who cares if it doesn’t interact well with competitor’s brakes and shifters (the actual direction of actuation is still funky regardless, mind)

The other is, well, maybe I’m a cynic but when a component is a) exposed, b) a bit delicate and c) easily fixed but the part needed to fix it is mentally expensive, I can’t help but think that’s not a design failure, it’s a designed failure.

I think it just bugs me because it’s otherwise such a good product, it wouldn’t take a lot to make it better. The 170 dropper really puts it in a class of its own for now.

smatkins1
    Free Member

You could mount the reverb plunger vertical so he can push it straight down using the palm of his hand.

Alternatively could a post with the lever mounted under the seat (if they still exist) be a better option for him.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

@smatkins1 they sound like rubbish options when there are plenty of good cable operated posts around. The ks works really well and has 2 good and easy to use light weight lever options.

vmgscot

The GF found it hard to get a good position with the reverb – combination of short thumbs and stubby levers on the XT brakes – fitted one of the Novyparts controls and she loves it.

singlespeedstu

Where did you get your Novyparts lever from please?

jamj1974

Jon Taylor – Member
    I have my LEV attached to a regular XT shifter and it’s lovely like that. The standard lever is ok too. The southpaw is probably more expensive than

I love the idea – but I’m not handy enough to be confident doing it!

poah
    Free Member

got the southpaw and a lev DX 100mm for lewis today, so much easier for him to use than the reverb.

Thanks for all the replies

Viewing 38 posts - 1 through 38 (of 38 total)

The topic ‘are cable operated droppers easier to use than a reverb?’ is closed to new replies.