Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Are “botty” creams any good?
  • ChristoGinger
    Free Member

Hi Guys,

Doing a long run (95 miles) on the mountainbike in a couple of weeks and reckon there may be the danger of suffering some chaffage!

Are these botty creams any good? if so Which one and what are the benefits (pain releif etc)

Thanks Yous

Chris

Smee
    Free Member

Sudocrem. Anyone that tells you that there is anything better is selling snake oil.

0091paddy
    Free Member

Assos.

Jamie
    Free Member

Vaseline.

timdrayton
    Free Member

second the sudocrem

project
    Free Member

Chip fat,from the night before.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

got sudocream for the kiddies bum bums but thought it was a barrier cream and not really lubrication to stop chaffage?

anotherdeadhero
    Free Member

It is barrier cream, but I’m sure it stops the chaffage almost as well, by virtue of lubrication. How well does it wash out of chamois though?

I have a pot of assos, brilliant stuff, not sticky like I’d imaging sudocrem is either.

scholarsgate
    Free Member

Udderly smooth chamois cream works for me. cheaper than assos I think.

pedalhead
    Free Member

Sudocrem, the ultimate minty arse lard

andywhit
    Free Member

Assos.

terrahawk
    Free Member

Sudocrem has kept me chaffage-free for many a big ride.

mugsys_m8

Sudocream, so I’ve been told by a cycling pharmacist (of the official kind: I mean a qualified pharmacist who cycles…) isn’t ideal as it’s paraffin wax based and does not let the skin breathe.

theotherjonv
    lookmanohands
    Free Member

Assos for the tingley ring feeling 😯

enfht
    Free Member

Snake Oil

leftyboy
    Free Member

Dry weather = Vaseline
    Wet weather = Johnson’s baby oil

Sore after = Sudocream

Used this for 25 (cough) years and it’s always worked for me YMMV

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

oooh, tingly ring sounds good!!!

MrSmith
    Free Member

sudochrem is for when you you didn’t use assos/o-zone/udderly smooth.
    it’s not chamois creme.

FuzzyWuzzy

Assos (and I wouldn’t do over an hour ride without it)

hilldodger
    Free Member

the orange oil that dripped out of last nights doner…..

Sponging-Machine
    Free Member

I have considered using aqueous cream. Need to compare the ingredients list to other chamois creams. Otherwise, Assos or Udderly Smooth.

I always thought the idea of chamois cream was bollocks until I tried it last year. Used to get rubbed a lot – had nothing since I started creaming up.

Stoner
    Free Member

I must have an arse like a blacksmith’s apron because I’ve never had chaffing even on the 60+ day tour a couple of years ago.

I only ever wear Endura cotton knickers under my shorts though – they are the shizzle.

I doubt aqeuous would work as you will absorb it pretty quickly and it will “dissolve” in crack sweat.

Harry_the_Spider

Kamilosan.

It smells like honey too, which is a bonus.

coffeeking
    Free Member

I’m shocked and appalled at the lack of MTFU in these posts!

mrsflash
    Free Member

Chili oil.

Then mtfu.

ChristoGinger
    Free Member

I’m ginger so hence would be impervious to chilli oil due to the heat generated in the pu be /hairy ass area anyway 😉

jojoA1
    Free Member

mrsflash – Member
    Chili oil.

Then mtfu.

Atta girl, you tellem! 🙂

Drillski
    Free Member

MTFU
    I normally use a wasps nest firmly placed in my crack before setting off. that’s gonna take your mind off any chaffage!

Nickquinn293
    Free Member

Pakora/Kebab sauce

julianwilson
    Free Member

Sponging-Machine – Member

I always thought the idea of chamois cream was bollocks until I tried it last year.

although I remember half the campsite at 24/12 saw your freshly lubed bollocks as part of your discovering this. 😯

swavis

PMSL @ julian 😆

epicyclo

Sandblasting grit with grease – increases the clearances between the parts that chafe. 💡

forgotmename
    Free Member

Try bepanthen, its a nappy rash cream thats great, ive used it for years. Its also great for healing fresh tattoos, if your that way inclined.

mingsta
    Free Member

Assos.

Never tried sudocream, but given that a tub of assos will last you six months, whats the point for a sake of a few quid?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Stoner – Member

I must have an arse like a blacksmith’s apron because I’ve never had chaffing even on the 60+ day tour a couple of years ago.

Mine is like rhino hide perhaps – chaffing / sore botty just don’t happen to me. natural fibres next to the skin as well

Trampus
    Free Member

Regularly ride 80+miles. Never had chaffage probs. Do you lot shave?

trail_rat
    Free Member

bought a tub of udderly smooth for nz but used it twice … and even then it was just because i had it,

correct saddle and shorts combo and i cant see why its needed .. wrong saddle yes i can see … ended up with arse blisters to high hell after 10 under the ben on my prologo nago .. but on my custom flite no bother in 3 months touring riding daily for 8-10 hours and 24 hour solo racing…. on a standard flite no bother doing 2 and 300k audaxes on the road bike. all dry. Next event i do on the prologo will be udderly smoothed … and if that fails the saddle will be for sale and a flite will be bought !

mikey74
    Free Member

I have heard, from a doctor, that synthetic saddle coverings will make chaffing worse as they do not absorb moisture leaving it to be soaked up by the shorts and skin, which ultimately dries the skin out leading to increased chaffing. Leather saddles are by far and away the best.

The worst chaffing I ever had was when I had an SDG Bel Air saddle; since then I have only used leather covered Selle Italias. I would say that the only time I do get chaffing is when I am using poor short liners. Having said that, when I go for long rides I do still uses Assos chamois cream, purely to be on the safe side.

qwerty
    Free Member

?????????????????????????????????????

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Are “botty” creams any good?’ is closed to new replies.