Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Are Allen bolt skewers stiffer than normal QR skewers?
  • GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Currently running a Hope SS hub on the back of my SS bike. The whacking great big bolts seem to be stiffer than a standard QR skewer. What I’m wondering is if Allen bolt skewers are stiffer/stronger than a front Deore QR?
    Like these:
    http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/Models.aspx?ModelID=26622

finbar
    Free Member

The axle is the same diameter so i don’t think they’d be any stronger, but you might be able to do them up more tightly which would increase stiffness a bit. Marginal i’d have thought though.

GrumpyDave
    Free Member

Forgot to mention that the hubs are Hope Pro 2.

kimbers

i have some on my commuter

no noticeable increase in stiffness ime, but with no QRs a lot more theft proof
    i never have to worry locking or removing my wheels which is nice wherever i park up, tho still wouldnt leave it overnight

if you have pro 2s you can get one of these and a 10mm rear adapter

and soem of the new 9mm adapters for the front and a 9mm qr if you can find one, (i got some from chimba racing) or a dt swiss thru axle

nicko74

mmm…. I think just more secure, both in a ‘won’t fall out’ way and a ‘less likely to be nicked’ way. I’ve had allen bolts for 4 years or so, and even though I’ve moved to swish blue Hope XC hubs, I’ve stuck with my scratched up allen bolt skewers, so they must be doing something right!

GW
    Free Member

allen skewers are less strong/secure than a shimano QR.

had a few snap many years ago, (2 doing them up and another while riding) the twisting as you tighten them up is not a particularly good idea IMO.

Olly
    Free Member

GW, I think you could prevent that by keeping the thread, and the nutted end greased up, and with a washer between the allen head and the clampy bit??
    ….helpful suggestion, rather than crticism

I like them. they can be done up good and tight, and that does make a difference over crap OE skewers which i find are limited alot by the friction on the cam preventing them being done up proper tightly.
    internal cam skewers (shimano type) can be done up just as tightly easily, and are just as stiff, but they are heavier (due to the lever) less secure (theft wise) and most of all, expensive!

ive got XTs on my Trance, which never gets left locked up unattended, and allen skewers on my Street/DJ bike and on my commuter.
    i would put them on my trance for weight saving, but its a faff changing a puncture/putting it in and out the car (neither of which i have to do on commuter or DJ bike)

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Are Allen bolt skewers stiffer than normal QR skewers?’ is closed to new replies.