Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Are all chainring bolts created equal?
  • wukfit
    Free Member

I want to remove my bash guard, so I’m looking for some shorter chainring bolts
    I’ve found some Race face ones for £3.96 from wiggle
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/basket?redirectUrl=/
    Is it worth paying more for any others? I don’t really want to spend much more than a tenner

theotherjonv

Some are alu, some are steel. Some are pretty colours.

I’ve never had an issue with any brand i’ve used, and I’ve probably got a right mishmash on currently

Trimix
    Free Member

If you install them properly (clean and torqued up correctly) I doubt it.

I’ve had a few, and didn’t notice any diff other than colour, material and price.

If I bought again Id go for steel.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Sadly I cant see whats in your basket, you really need to link to the product.
    I’d say that Raceface bolts are fine, used the longer ones on my triple without issue.
    Personally I’d avoid aluminium ones as they tend to have the strength of a particularly runny cheese.

verses

I’ve ham-fistedly sheared alu ones before.

It’s worth seeing what tools are needed for them. some use diff size hex-keys on each side (my preferred option), some have a hex one side and a torx the other, and some use hex one side and a fiddly-stupid notchy doo-dah (I’m sure it has a more technical name – needs this tool) on the other…

hatter

Hex/Hex ones like this are the way forward, means you can nip them up easily if they come loose mid-ride.

Way better than the old slotted design that’s a sod to work on and which you won’t have the tool for if it work loose in the back of beyond.

Nowt wrong with Alu ones unless you’re a serial thread stripper.

wukfit
    Free Member

Oops didn’t realise I’d linked to my basket
    http://www.wiggle.co.uk/race-face-chain-ring-bolts/
    Doesn’t say what material they are, so I presume they’re aluminium?
    I have that little tool already but ones that use Allen keys might be better

lightman
    Free Member

They’ll probably be steel, aluminium tends to be a bit more expensive.
    Half my bikes have steel, the other half have aluminium and I have had no issues with either.
    Lots of coloured ones on ebay if you’re into that.

bigblackshed
    RobHilton
    Free Member

What BBS said

andysredmini
    Free Member

Go for steel or stainless steel. If you are powerful you may find you shear aluminium ones or they become creaky. Not worth the bother for the tiny amount of weight they will save

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Are all chainring bolts created equal?’ is closed to new replies.