Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Are aftermarket brake hose kits worth it?
  • wishiwascalledsteve

Need a new hose as my current one is too short for a new frame.

Are aftermarket ones, goodridge/superstar/uberbike, worth the premium over stock shimano ones? Will it improve braking performance/reliabilty noticeably or will it just look good?

In the same vein, are steel braided hose worth it over kevlar braided hoses?

Thanks

kelron
    Free Member

I really doubt there’s enough pressure in bicycle brakes to deform a standard hose. Some people claim its a worthwhile upgrade for cars but even then I don’t think there’s a definite answer.

Trimix
    Free Member

Nope.

Fresh pads, clean rotors and new fluid.

If you really want more power get a bigger rotor.

wishiwascalledsteve

Cheers, for the replies. I’ll stick with Shimano BH90 then.

Wasn’t really needing more power. But if aftermarket kits gave a ‘firmer’ feel then a may have splashed out. Wont bother though.

plumslikerocks
    Free Member

I’ve always found rear brakes with the longer hose a bit less positive than the front. Braided hoses dont’t give more power, but are a bit tougher and can look nice in addition to making the brake feel a bit more direct. So I’d perhaps in future use a braided hose on the rear only to equalise the feel front and rear.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Braded hoses used to make old Avid brakes like on/off switches, which was a nice change from ‘suggestive’ but not always workable.

MarkBrewer
    Free Member

Some people claim its a worthwhile upgrade for cars but even then I don’t think there’s a definite answer

It’s definitely worthwhile & noticeable on cars as the standard rubber brake hoses do expand under pressure. Standard mountain bike lines are usually made of harder material though so less likely to expand.

On the subject of pressure I hooked my old Hayes strokers upto a pressure gauge a while back and hard braking was producing around 500 psi, if you really gave it the death grip though you could get over 2000 psi.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Are aftermarket brake hose kits worth it?’ is closed to new replies.