• This topic has 22 replies, 21 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by hora.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Ardent as a rear….WTF!
  • deviant
    Free Member

Ok, seen some glowing reviews on here and around the web about 2.4 Ardents as rear tyres, decided to give it a go.

Thought the extra volume of the 2.4 would be ideal on my HT, still fast rolling but a bit more grip than my summer rear tyre of previous recent years, the Larsen.

Oh how wrong I was, the bloody thing is lethal!

The Larsen would let go in a progressive manner, it was fun, made me feel like a riding god….not so the Ardent, anything off camber has the potential to let go, anything loose has the potential to let go….anything off camber AND loose and it will let go….no physical warning that I can feel, last nights ride it snapped round on me so viciously I thought it’d pulled a shoulder out, if I’d been clipped in I reckon it’d have twisted my ankle….last time I experienced anything like that was a near high-side on a motorcycle….very unnerving.

The only thing predictable is its unpredictability!…at least I can now spot areas of the trail ahead where it will let go but even then sometimes it will be be fine and another time the back end will come round on me.

I’ve played with pressures, tyre is sat on a 28mm internal rim etc….it’s coming off tonight and the Larsen can go back on, at least the Larsen was like having a drifty familiar friend on the back.
    Anybody want a barely used 2.4 Ardent in 26 inch flavour!

mikewsmith
    Free Member

Been running them here in Tassie for 2 years now. No issues in 2.35 on a Flow. Was a little concerned coming back to the UK for Christmas with one but cash was tight so it stayed on, perfectly fine and predictable round off Grizedale BW’s, Lakes, Peak and a very sloppy Eastridge. Don’t seem to get the behaviour you do…

Run one up front in Summer and run the Race 29r versions on the XC bike.

BadlyWiredDog

Dunno if it’s relevant, but the 2.4 Ardent is a slightly different kettle of fish to the 2.25 version which, I think, is what most people use for a rear. The larger version has much deeper lugs all round. I run 2.25s all year round as a rear in the Peak, tried the 2.4 out back for a couple of rides for extra cush, but took it off.

I honestly can’t remember why as it was a couple of years back, but I don’t think it was as dramatic as your experience. Then again, if where you are is anything like the Peak recently, it’ll be a mix of looseness, dust and rubble which’ll tend to emphasise any lack of grip.

Have you tried it up front 😉

whitestone
    Free Member

There’s a lot of love for the Ardent but I didn’t get on with it at all. Had a 2.2 (or 2.25 if that’s the size) on the rear and it never felt quite right, no idea what was wrong. Replaced with a Bontrager XR3

Onzadog
    Free Member

Which way around did you run it?

Northwind

Quite liked it myself, thought hat was a 2.25 and as above, teh 2.4 has a different tread. Specialized Captain is pretty similiar speed though and has a bucket more grip especially in the wet. More delicate sidewalls tho.

rocketman
    Free Member

2.4 rear Ardents very popular around Cannock I pass loads of them

bigjim

great rear tyre for the summer.

ThePilot
    Free Member

Only thing worse than an Ardent is an Advantage imho. Or a High Roller in the mud. Those three have put me right off Maxxis tyres.

Stoner
    Free Member

Which way around did you run it?

Inside out by the sound of it 🙂

bigjim

Inside out by the sound of it

or sideways

jimjam
    Free Member

I’ve never used the 2.4 but I’ve loved the 2.25 on virtually every surface I’ve tried it. Perhaps the 2.4 is a very different tyre, or perhaps everyone else is wrong and Deviant is right. Or….who knows. Reccently gambled on a Specialized Purgatory instead of my trusty ardents and I must say it’s bloody brilliant too.

soobalias
    Free Member

if its tubeless ready, i’ll take it off your hands.

love my maxxis.
    ADvantages were my only tyres for a couple of years
    Ardend front and rear on the susser
    Ardent front and crossmark rear on the HT
    Two Minion DHFs hanging up for front tyre duties when summer dies.

never tried a larson yet but if it will make me a riding god…

br
    Free Member

Used the older Ardents for everything from summer to snow, only reason it’s not on the rear of my HT currently is I split my last one at the bead so it’s moved to be a tubed rear on one of my lads’ bikes.

Right way around and what pressure?

rOcKeTdOg

Ace as a rear tyre, scary in mud in the front. The 2.4 benefits greatly from it being on a wide rim though, got mine on a 35mm,on a XC width & it gets squirmy

leftyboy
    Free Member

I’m running a 2.3 ardent on the front and a 2.3 ardent race on the rear (both tubeless) on my Wyte FS and they are both excellent. My mate runs an ardent 2.4 on the rear of his HT and loves it.

As ever different folks like/love/loath different kit 🙂

Suggsey
    Free Member

I have a pair hung up and little used in 26″ folding…….as they’re lethal in the wet/ mud particularly on the front……must get round to selling them 😆

theendisnigh
    Free Member

I’ve got an ardent UST 2.2? thats one ride old if anyone wants it?
    I used it as a rear and I found the same issue as the OP. Took it off after one ride.

ks562
    Free Member

Running at 2.25 ardent here on the rear, I’ll be honest not that impressed either. I have a had some very sudden rear wheel slips out of nowhere., but hey if I will use it in the Scottish mud then that’s what I should expect. Cracking when it is dry though.

stevied
    Free Member

Didn’t get on with them either. Tried 2.25 back and 2.4 front in various combinations with other front/rears. Found that, when pushed, it was the Ardent that would let go 1st, normally without warning.
    The best surface I found them to be good on was dry, flat tarmac 🙄

deviant
    Free Member

Running the tyre in the direction the rotation arrow indicates!….I’ve used the 2.25 on the rear on a 650b bike and not had these problems, this 2.4 in 26 inch size seems to be far too unpredictable to continue with though….pressures have been down as low as 25psi and as high as 35psi and everything in between….not comfortable going lower than 25psi at the back as things tend to get ‘squirmy’ whatever tyre I use.

I’ll go back to the Larsen, cheers for the feedback, thought it was just me but seems others have struggled with them too.

AlexSimon

It’s weird when people don’t like your favourite tyre 🙂
    Maybe it’s a Peak District thing (peat, rock and dust), but I keep going back to them after trying alternatives.
    2.25 run soft (20psi – I weigh 58kg).

I like a rear tyre that breaks free before the front.

I’ve run it combination with Ardent 2.25 and 2.4 front, High Roller 2.3 and Minion 2.3 – my fav is the Minion.

I also rode mine in the North Shore and Whistler – I’ll admit it wasn’t great on wet roots, but then what is!? (Hans Dampf seemed to be the local choice) As soon as it dried out, it was brilliant!

hora
    Free Member

Ardents are one of my all times favourites. Not really used 2.4 but I use 2.25’s on the rear from Spring to Autumn in the Peak/Calderdale/Lakes etc.

If its very very loose soil or muddy I can see it struggling but on most trails you hit these bits abit nippy so you are over them asap.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Ardent as a rear….WTF!’ is closed to new replies.