Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Ardanaiseig Hotel, near Kilchrenan – anyone been?
  • drslow
    Free Member

The wife and I are getting away for a night here and just wondering if anyone can recommend any walks or gentle cycle routes in the area? Thanks

MrOvershoot

I have cycled passed a few times, the main road alongside can be a bit busy (for the west coast of Scotland)only stayed on the ther shore of Loch Awe. I did read some reviews of the hotel a few years back that were a bit variable.
    The climb up the service/old military road to Ben Cruachan is anything but gentle near the top but you can get some silly speed coming back down.
    There issn’t a lot of flat riding round there but some great walks, if you go over the south side of the loch near the Portsonachan Hotel there is a fairly nice flat ride along the Lochside.

Lucky you anyway, its one of my fave places in the UK

ononeorange

Regulars to the area, indeed looked at the hotel for our wedding (impressed that they give co-ordinates to their helipad for arrivals by chopper!).

Loads of great riding, but if it’s something gentle you’re after can recommend the 2 lochs ride from Dalavich (I think) a place in the middle of nowhere which really does have the feel of Deliverance! But the shop / tea room etc just down the road is brilliant to start / end on. Don’t have the details on me but it’s an FC ride and they have leaflets / signposts etc. If you’re not local I’m sure you can get hold of those quite easily.

Better still, go around Easter when we’re up next and we’ll show you!!

Enjoy. A wonderful area.

somafunk

I used to stay in Dalavich, in one of the houses right along the front of the village 😀 , cracking place to grow up as we used to run feral on the desolate roads with our motorbikes/rifles/fishing rods and had old cars to get about the miles of forest roads.

I got my first MTB (muddy fox) for my 14th birthday back in 1986 and there’s any amount of paths n’ tracks in the area, there’s a few paths n’ trails along the shoreline/forest to the left of the Social club/pub in the village and if you hunt around you’ll find others in the area, you could head up the forest road (approx 1 mile out of village) to Loch Avich, very scenic and a nice sandy beach, there’s a few good trails we used to explore up there.

It’s 24 yrs since i was back up that way, hopefully heading back up this year as part of a mini on/off road cycle tour.

thecaptain
    Free Member

I got married there, as it happens. Well, on a small hill overlooking (couldn’t legally do it *in* a building). To this day the relatives assume we had a plan B for if it had been pissing down 🙂

We walked up Cruachan a couple of days before, which is probably the most obvious day out – though probably a very different proposition at this time of year.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Ardanaiseig Hotel, near Kilchrenan – anyone been?’ is closed to new replies.