Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)
  • Ard rock the aftermath. Owd' you do?
  • DrP

John…
    I climbed up to the gate, held that open for a mate, then carried on…
    Would have made it all the way cycling but 10m from the top (the scrabbly bit) a panicky family were walking down and splayed out, then I had to stop and then couldn’t get going again!!

I managed to ride from the bottom of section 4 to the ‘Rocky river crossing’ though! Cleaned the short sharp climbs there. I tried some Akrigg skills across the big rocks over the river and fell down stream!! Scraped up my arm and bruised right flank… Skillzzz!
    Easier on a hardtail though..

DrP

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Guys who entered this year, what would be your top tips for someone looking to train for next years event?

Spin classes or tabata sessions. I haven’t been doing either recently, and the 30 second out the saddle sprints on stage 1 and the start of stage 2 had me blowing out my hoop!.

And just practice riding smoothly, saw lots of people hammering into corners too fast, having to wipe off loads of speed and making mistakes, then coming out the corner slowly.

Definitely practice on the friday too, not all sections, but what it gives you is the knowledge that there is nothing that bad, and that gives lots of confidence.

woody2000

And just practice riding smoothly, saw lots of people hammering into corners too fast, having to wipe off loads of speed and making mistakes, then coming out the corner slowly.

You were watching me then! I reckon I wasted at least a minute doing that

Kahurangi

Dr. P, you get a *fist bump* for that

I got the Fremington Edge byway climb again this year 8)

Didn’t really give the S4-5 climb much effort this year, rode the rock garden riverbed at the bottom but then decided that I was flagging and needed to preserve myself a little bit!

On stage 1, just assume that if you can’t see trail on the other side of the wall, that there’s a 90 degree corner with an uphill exit….

colournoise

Jon Taylor – Member
    On stage 1, just assume that if you can’t see trail on the other side of the wall, that there’s a 90 degree corner with an uphill exit….

This. I knew it was there from last year but it still totally caught me out…

unklehomered
    Free Member

I tried some Akrigg skills across the big rocks over the river and fell down stream!! Scraped up my arm and bruised right flank… Skillzzz!

was this the call out from the stage 4 finish marshal for medical assistance for the rider with a damp bottom and fractured dignity?

sandwicheater

Watching the vids on youtube, really really want to try this next year.

Dave
    Free Member

Top event,top riding, mini festival and worth it just for the event village if you’re local’ish

trout
    Free Member

[/quote]Bring your drum next time too

Ha ha. After 4 hours of bashing that beer keg my ears got fed up and my mate Luke with the monster hangover was very pissed off .
    So chucked the van stereo on for a few tunes .

Sunday was just too windy for tunes or keg bashing .

wrightyson
    Free Member

jmatlock – Member
    Guys who entered this year, what would be your top tips for someone looking to train for next years event?
    POSTED 3 HOURS AGO # REPORT-POST

Without a doubt some kind of interval training, I promised myself last year that I’d work on short sprint sections but let myself down. As soon as it got techy pointy down hill I was all over whoever in front, as soon as it got pedally I was losing time again. The only thing that annoyed me about the whole weekend and it was my own fault.

DrP

was this the call out from the stage 4 finish marshal for medical assistance for the rider with a damp bottom and fractured dignity?[/]

No! Not that bad!

DrP

tuskaloosa
    Free Member

First Enduro, first race. Just got back after spending a few more days in the Dales with the family, must admit on Monday morning you would have never guessed there were 1500 odd people camped at the field(s)! Great event. A bit disappointed with my performance overall but then also got held up due to 4 crashes in front of me on Stage 1 and 2 and the wind on Saturday afternoon made Stage 2 rather interesting, was not envious at all for the Sport riders come Sunday.

learnt a few things
    1) Midges exist even outside Scotland (£”^£&%)
    2) Always, Always practice putting up a newly purchased tent at home, especially if it’s one of these 6 person confounded contraptions!
    3) Resist all temptation to tweak your bike before the race, huge shout to Hope for sorting me out with a new set clamp 5 mins before my start time!(decided to drop the post a tad and snapped the bolt)

Wrigthyson – must have been camped next to you as there was someone who kept opening their van door at odd hours in the morning.

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Late to the party but I went away straight after the race for a fortnight.

In summary, it was **** brilliant. Raced the Sunday and my observations were:
    – it was a little bit breezy, especially on the upper sections of stage 2. Never in my life have I been riding and seen people blown 10/15ft off the trail (although it did allow me to pass my mate as he was sailing off into the distance at right angles to the trail!).
    – there were a lot of people pushing the downs! Got a bit pissed with one guy on stage 2 where there was a tight left handed switchback with a bit of a drop in it and he was walking down making no attempt to get out the way.
    – even more people pushing the ups! Not bothered about this one as I did a bit of pushing but just staggered at the sheer numbers of people not bothering to ride.
    – the stages were unreal. Just different enough to last year to be interesting. I could literally ride stuff like that all day long. Possibly the best trails I’ve ridden in the UK? Maybe.

Overall I was pleased with the way I rode. Never ridden an Enduro where I’ve been 100% happy with my riding but I was close. The only downer was the fella Simon mentioned on page 1 being treated on stage 1 so the marshalls were diverting everyone around the chicken run – not sure how much extra time that added on but felt a long way around! Then on stage 3 there was another big crash which meant there was a group standing around for a good 5 minutes or so whilst the course was re-routed around the guy getting attention.

Overall though, awesome. Just awesome. Will definitely be waiting up/setting the alarm for when 2017 entries go live.

Viewing 13 posts - 121 through 133 (of 133 total)

The topic ‘Ard rock the aftermath. Owd' you do?’ is closed to new replies.