Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)
  • Ard rock 2015
  • darrenspink
    Free Member

4 weeks to go, I better pack in the cigars.
    Do hope its not windy.

colournoise

Yup. Almost looking forward to it.

Guess I ought to think about possibly starting doing some kind of vague preparation for it.

jaylittle
    Free Member

My first attempt, fitness is rock bottom and going away on weds for 2 weeks which won’t help. I’ll be happy to finish.

fathomer

Gotta be honest, the more I think about it the more nervous I get.

First time I’ve ever entered anything like it and I’m a bit worried it might be to techie!

Oh well, I’ll just get off and push if it is, but I won’t know till the day as I can’t make the practice on Saturday.

tmb467
    Free Member

No bike and no way to get a refund…looks like I’m out this year

Gutted

benji
    Free Member

I’m pleased I’m doing the one lap Saturday bimble.

covertbaz
    Free Member

Looking forward to it also, but again the training isn’t going to plan!

Just hope the rain from last year doesn’t appear again

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tmb, get a demo?

DaveyBoyWonder
    Free Member

Think theres a few of us heading to it. Simon and woody2000 are entered I think. Thinking about heading across Friday night in the van…

muddy247
    Free Member

Second year this year and looking forward to it- not sure if I can make the Saturday practise lap yet. Be prepared for boggy sections- although Swaledale has been dry and dusty for a while it’s gonna get a hammering with the number of riders entered this year! Any amount of rain will make it tricky in places.
    Must remember extra jelly babies for the last transition up to section 5!

tmb467
    Free Member

NoBeer. Was looking at that – not sure where to start

ton

No bike and no way to get a refund…looks like I’m out this year

do you want to sell your entry mate?

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Tmb – call Stuart at dales biking centre.

Ton, no can do, they use photo ID, as there is a waiting list.

ton

oh well. I was up there last weekend…dry as a bone and fast as heck.

tmb467
    Free Member

Ton, if I could I would mate but as above, they want photo ID on the day. There was an amnesty period but it closed last month

I’ll ask Stu – I’ve also emailed Bird to see if they can do owt (quite like the look of the Aeris) but it’ll be October before I can buy something

May resort to an ad in the wanted section too!

ton

tmb, you want to borrow a bike? got 3 to choose from

tmb467
    Free Member

No demos for Ard Rock they said.

Worth a try tho – cheers

tmb467
    Free Member

Really?

That’s a very kind offer Ton – what size bikes are they cos I’m not that tall!

ton

xl endure 29er
    xxl cube hardtail
    xl ramin 1

tmb467
    Free Member

Ah I’m only a littl’un (5’8″)

Think I’d struggle on an XL – got my giant revolt tho, and I’m considering putting 2″ tyres on it
    edit – the thought of punctures sort of puts me off it tho

Cheers for the offer tho..really appreciated

ton

no worries mate….any bike is better than non. use the revolt just take it easy. 8)

tmb467
    Free Member

Aye – it may well come to that

At least I’d get noticed 🙂

colournoise

Got an XS BFe (I’m 5’6″) I can bring up if that’s any good for you?

darrenspink
    Free Member

Glad to see others taking training so seriously 🙂

I’ve always have the three main achievements to take away from the day (and other races):

Don’t die | Don’t come last | Have fun

tooFATtoRIDE
    Free Member

It appears to be an awesome event 🙂

slordy
    Free Member

Me and two mates entered, room in a pub booked, too old for camping,went up for a days riding a few weeks ago looks class. The thing im looking forward to is racing on harder ground as oppossed to so called LOAM which in Northern England actually means mud.Should be a top weekend and cake too at Dales Bike Centre…

mt
    Free Member

Ton – it’s not so dry now. Had a couple of serious downpours . Going is good though but not dusty.
    When were you up, did you meet at Stu’s?

trout
    Free Member

We were up there on sat and conditions were great
    Hoping for good weather as marshalling again

darrenspink
    Free Member

The thing im looking forward to is racing on harder ground as oppossed to so called LOAM which in Northern England actually means mud

Me too.

beano68
    Free Member

Aye its a tad clarty in northumberland at the mo ! 😐

Simon

The thing im looking forward to is racing on harder ground as oppossed to so called LOAM which in Northern England actually means mud.

If the stages are anything like last year there are some bits that will test your mud riding skillz if it’s wet! And the last stage was through grassy fields, which will be interesting if it rains 🙂

mark88

Don’t suppose anyone is driving to Ard Rock from anywhere south of Yorkshire that would be able to give me a lift please?

hopkinsgm

Re: Saturday practice – worth noting that the full course will not be open for practice on Saturday this year – event website suggests only two stages available for Saturday practice – http://www.ardrockenduro.co.uk/events/enduro-2/
    I would guess that the 3 stages not available for practice will be the 3 stages that form the Enduro Sport event which is running on Saturday.

As for mud riding skillz, well, the bottom of last years’ stage 1 evolved a bit between Saturday practice and a fairly late starting slot on Sunday. Other than that, I don’t recall mud being a particular issue. Bits of stage 5 got a bit lairy descending on greasy damp grass as it started to drizzle a bit at the end of Sunday, but not muddy as such.

darrenspink
    Free Member

There was a steep muddy bit on one of the stages which I wasn’t fond of, but I think the terrain is such that water does wash off.

Pretty glad about only being to practice 2 stages, doing the full loop twice is exhausting.

squoglybob
    Free Member

I’ll be doing it blind on the Sunday, i’d rather that than see two stages not see the other three and then make the rest up / “Scare myself” as i’ve never entered a timed event before.

fathomer

squoglybob – Member
    I’ll be doing it blind on the Sunday, i’d rather that than see two stages not see the other three and then make the rest up / “Scare myself” as i’ve never entered a timed event before.

That makes at least two of us 😳

scandal42
    Free Member

Let me know what it’s like Sam, I fancy it next year but if it causes you problems then I will be killed instantly 🙂

trout
    Free Member

Bits of stage 5 got a bit lairy descending on greasy damp grass as it started to drizzle a bit at the end of Sunday, but not muddy as such.

I think you have got your days mixed up as I was at marshal at the bottom of stage 5 and was blazing sunshine all day right up to when I closed the section when told last man had been through .

sat was the fun day on 5

beano68
    Free Member

What time can you rock up on the friday ?

hopkinsgm

I can assure you I’m not getting days mixed up as I didn’t ride stage 5 in practice 😛 It’s not impossible that I’m getting years mixed up though 😳 Stage 5 last year was pretty much identical to stage 4 from the 2013 event.

Anyway, whether it was drizzling or not, it was certainly deceptively greasy by the end of Sunday, making it pretty easy to get a bit out of shape. And it’s one of those stages where it’s all too easy to find yourself going a bit quicker than might be advisable…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 93 total)

The topic ‘Ard rock 2015’ is closed to new replies.