Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)
  • Approximately, how Irish are you?
  • uplink
    Free Member

100% Yorkshire 0% Irish

More importantly, 0% Lancashire

TheFlyingOx

1/2 Welsh, 1/2 Hungarian. You could say I’m Well-Hung.

But seriously folks… Going by that chart, 7/8th Yorkshire, 1/8th Armenian.

hilldodger
    Free Member

100% earth citizen, bugger all this regionalism 😉

The sooner people put this ‘what nationality are you’ thing behind them the better, it’s the thin (but seemingly acceptable) end of the racist wedge.

And anyone (except perhaps the remotest of indigenous people) who claims to be anything other than 100% mongrel is really quite deluded, it’s just not possible……

DezB
    Free Member

My wife’s granddad was 100% Irish, where does that put me?

trailmonkey

The sooner people put this ‘what nationality are you’ thing behind them the better, it’s the thin (but seemingly acceptable) end of the racist wedge.

guardianista nonsense.

are you trying to tell me that there is no cultural difference between people from different nations ? are you even going to suggest that these differences shouldn’t be celebrated for fear of racism ?

And anyone (except perhaps the remotest of indigenous people) who claims to be anything other than 100% mongrel is really quite deluded

agreed.

slowjo
    Free Member

About 12.5% working by the OP’s table. My great grandfather was posted to County Cork. He moved over with his wife (called Minnie) who died pretty quickly to be replaced by a local girl called Minnie. Good thinking really, he didn’t have any of those embarrassing moments when you call a new partner the wrong name!

clubber
    Free Member

0% but my wife’s a Norn Ironer and they just recently discovered they’re descended from Southern Irish bog trotters so that means my son is at least partially Irish

Irish_AL
    Free Member

100% norn iron 😀

hels
    Free Member

Probably more than Obama, probably more black than him too – depending on how you measure it of course.

My first Dad was Orcadian so quite sure there I don’t think they let people off the island until the 1950s. My Mum is Kiwi going back all the way, so quite possibly some Irish milling about in there somewhere, lots of red hair in the family.

I’ll go with 10%.

Dolcered

quite a bit 🙂

100% on my dads side, mum is half irish as well.

ratswithwings
    Free Member
    Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Born and bred in Belfast. Lived there until I was 21, i have an Irish passport but then moved to Devon 3 years ago.

Apparently that makes me a 100% English c**t according to my family.

5thElefant
    Free Member

My uncle had an irish setter. Good enough for a few million votes if I was running for president.

kaesae
    Free Member

0%

I do however love the irish as they appreciate the subtle arts of conversation and practical jokes while drunk and are generaly a good natured bunch.

Unless you invade and occupy them, but that’s to be expected 😀

john_drummer
    Free Member

My mum’s grandad was born in Limerick.
    AFAIK the rest of my ancestrry is pure Leeds

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Speaking as a Limerickman, I’d stick to the Leeds bit 🙂

schnullelieber
    Free Member

25% Irish, 25% Croydon, 50% North of the River.

keavo
    Free Member

by that chart, 25%, and maybe related to obama……kearney/keavney just a spelling error when the irish went to america. however, its irrelevant i’m english.

hilldodger
    Free Member

trailmonkey – Member

are you trying to tell me that there is no cultural difference between people from different nations ? are you even going to suggest that these differences shouldn’t be celebrated for fear of racism ?

There seem to be as many cultural differences within ‘nations’ than ‘between’ nations !!
    Celebrate them yes, certainly 🙂
    just don’t define yourself by them or use them as an excuse to put bullets in the post…..

_tom_
    Free Member

Dunno. One “set” of my grandparents are from London and the others were from Austria and Czechslovakia. So probably not very.

El-bent
    Free Member

My wife’s granddad was 100% Irish, where does that put me?

Your only screwing about with ethnicity. 😉

Great grandmothers side were Irish, the rest crawled out of some swamp in the fens a few hundred years ago.

willard

3/8ths.

Gran Irish, grandfather half Irish, Dad from Yorkshire.

miketually
    Free Member

My greatxsomething grandad moved from Ireland to Birmingham and, changing his name to McTimoney in the process. He married an Italian dancer, so I’m as Italian as I am Irish.

But I deny being a Brummie.

My mam’s dad was Scottish, so I’m 1/4 Jock.

But, I’m English.

ericemel
    Free Member

25% from my mums side (Grandfather 100% Irish) 6.25% From my Dads

I am American – so a right mixed bag! Including 12.5% Eskimo!

soobalias
    Free Member

75%

Zoolander
    Free Member

About 25%
    but with middle name Patrick and surname Power I get bonus points.

(still English though)

Kuco

Going back 7 generations i’m 100% English.

Elfinsafety
    Free Member

I’m possibly about 1/32nd, 1/64th or 1/128th or something, but considering I can have a much tinier proportion of alcohol in my body and be absolutely drunk, then I think my Irishness is still significant. 🙂

noteeth
    Free Member

Mum’s family came from County Galway, a very long time ago. Most of ’em left for the States/Australia, but some of them ended up in the strange new world that is… Somerset.

I’m slightly German on my dad’s side. My half-German great grandfather Siegfred was a Lt. Col. in the Royal Engineers – during an, erm, interesting period in British-German relations.

molgrips
    Free Member

None AFAIK. I could be 50% Welsh 50% English, but my Welsh Grandfather’s family several generations before him came from Lancashire.. so there’s some Lanc there… but he was pretty Welsh in general every day appearance… Hmm…. My Mum’s from Yorkshire but her family before her migrated from Lancashire at some point too.

100% British 🙂

lunge

0%, all my family are English as far as I am aware. My surname suggests there is a Welsh connection but nothing significant enough to worry about.

Blackhound

100% though lived most of my life over here. No British passport here.

seosamh77
    Free Member

2 grand parents from donegal on my da’s side came over in the 1930s/40s and 1 great grand parent on my maw’s side from antrim came over in the 1860’s i think, rest are scottish, don’t put much stock in nationalism mind but I guess you work out the numbers as 62.5% irelandish and 37.5% scotlandish.

My second name is number 8 in the most popular irish surnames so that must count for a bit extra!:D Plus we still own some of the ancestery land in Annagry, my da recently sorted that through the lawyers before we nearly lost it, One of my great grannies houses is still there! 🙂

sv

Southern Irish or Northern Irish?

stevenieve
    Free Member

100% Norn Iron

ton

irish great grandma, irish/romany great grandad
    so what ever % that is, that is what i am.

downshep

Our family came across to Scotland from Co Tyrone to escape the famine. Still got the Irish surname but much interbreeding with the locals makes me some kind of mongrel. To be sure, I’m technically 25% Irish.

Caher

100% Irish although born in England, all known ancestors Irish.
    “Born in a stable does not make you a horse etc” Daniel O’Connell.

stilltortoise
    Free Member

The sooner people put this ‘what nationality are you’ thing behind them the better, it’s the thin (but seemingly acceptable) end of the racist wedge

I can’t believe you really think that so must put this down as a troll

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

1 1/16 Irish. Great Grandmother.

Viewing 40 posts - 41 through 80 (of 118 total)

The topic ‘Approximately, how Irish are you?’ is closed to new replies.