Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Approach Shoes
  • partyboy1101
    Free Member

Any recommendation for a good looking, not too bulky approach shoe/pub trainer? Something capable of holding up on a summer walk and still look good with a pair of jeans. Currently looking at Five Ten Guide Rennie’s and some Nike ACG Rongbuks I think. What else should I be looking at?

Basil

Patagonia have some good stuff

tang
    Free Member

Check keen out, loads of styles and colours to suit.

Stoner
    Free Member

I rather like my meindls.

Just avoid anything with a vibram sole IMO.

MSP

I didn’t find my guide tennies that good for walking, fine for knocking about in though. From five ten I would go for the camp 4.

Cougar

Salomon Vega.

Next?

partyboy1101
    Free Member

What’s wrong with vibram soles? Meindl’s look nice but a little too chunky for me. Keen always look big too.

chrisdw
    Free Member

Scarpa Crux!

yunki
    Free Member

the womens gtx rongbuks look a lot less utilitarian and go up to a size 9..

I think I might be tempted

Stoner
    Free Member

terrifying on wet rock & root IMO.

Vibram are an example of formerly ace product, re-specified for mass production and marketed on the back of the original but just not up to the job.

q.v. Timberland, North Face, Karrimor etc etc.

partyboy1101
    Free Member

I’m also looking at Timberland GT Scramble’s

matt_outandabout

Patagonia have some good stuff

Although there is a reason all of oab_family has Salomon’s….if you can find some less bright ones, they are ace comfy and capable. We had a delivery today:
    Some X-overs arrived today, they seemed really, really comfy.

The new Synapse’s also look great in the flesh.

passtherizla
    Free Member

Scarp crux +1

footflaps

My office shoes are these:

partyboy1101
    Free Member

I like those Salomon X-overs.

tallie
    Free Member

I’ve had a pair of Five Ten Guide Tennies for while:

Positives:
    Great on rock (I’ve climbed up to sport 5c in them when I’ve forgotten my rock shoes).
    Really comfortable – did some long days in the Dolomites straight out the box.
    Last really well – had mine for nearly 3 years.
    Not bad on a bike – stealth rubber and quite stiff.

-ves Rubbish on steep grass or mud (keeps my climbing partners amused though…).
    About as waterproof as a sponge despite Nikwax etc

So possibly not what you’re looking for although most approach shoes would probably meet your criteria.

Oh and I don’t believe many climbers / hillwalkers share Stoners opinion of Vibram which is still used in a lot of high end boots and rock shoes.

passtherizla
    Free Member

I don’t get the odd heel cup on 5:ten.. looks horrible.

I had some Salomon I bought cheap in the states, they were awesome can’t remember the name though.

Stoner
    Free Member

tallie – the high end mountaineering stuff uses different Vibram compounds.

Its the generic hard rubber used by the vast majority of approach shoe manufacturers that its nothing like as good as the proper technical compounds.

http://www.vibram.com/index.php/us/PRESS/Faq/Faq

oes Vibram use different compounds?

Yes. Vibram uses a large variety of compounds. Each compound has its own identity, based on physical-mechanical criteria (elasticity, density, hardness and resistance to slipping, abrasion, tearing, etc.) Each compound is created to respond to the specific needs of and to guarantee maximum performance for its given use.

and with some production in China, you can guess where the basic soles come from….

Cougar

I don’t get the odd heel cup on 5:ten.. looks horrible.

I’d guess it’s a nod to climbing shoes. The heel isn’t wholly dissimilar to my bringers of pain Anasazi’s.

tallie
    Free Member

Stoner – fair point the cheaper stuff may well be compromised.

The high end stuff is still up there though – although I’ve always preferred 5.10 stealth rubber to vibram xs.

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Approach Shoes’ is closed to new replies.