Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Applying heli / copter tape
  • mtbtomo
    Free Member

I’ve found some lying around in my spares box…can I apply it using washing up liquid or is it only certain types of copter tape??

I’ve previously applied it dry, but vaguely remember using washing up liquid to get rid of bubbles on some vinyl stickers in the past.

godzilla
    Free Member

I’ve used washing up liquid, works fine, Johnson’s baby worked a little better if i remember correctly

matt_outandabout

Tell me more – I had some arrive today, but no instructions.

spacemonkey

I’ve always put it straight on. Never used any liquids or a hairdryer etc. Remember to cut in for the bendy bits.

slowster
    Free Member

Invisiframe have a video guide on their website and on Youtube:

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BAL0exrSMCc[/video]

This article also gives some more detail and tips.

With regard to adding baby shampoo to the water when using the wet application method, it seemed to me to slow down the rate at which the tape adheres to the frame (I suspect it’s best to add only a small amount, to limit that effect).

nixie

Just water works. Mist the frame, wet your hands, peel, spray water in the tape and apply. Use a squidge for best finish, don’t be tempted to use fingers, it’s nowhere near as neat!

mtbtomo
    Free Member

A “squidge”? What something like an old credit card or more like a sponge?

Poopscoop

I use a no brand baby shampoo personally. I think it dries out a bit slower allowing you to move the tape around a bit to get it right or even lift it up to get rid of an annoying bubble you missed or whatever.

Patience definitely helps if you want a neat job and the frame has to be spotless if you want it really pukka.

As said, wet hands too before application.

nixie

It’s like a credit card but thicker with a rubber edge. Allows a more constant application of pressure.

Like this; https://www.ebay.co.uk/i/232239525686

godzilla
    Free Member

Forgot to say I also wipe down area with isopropyl alcohol

mtbtomo
    Free Member

Thanks guys, I’ve got a spare squirty bottle so will try that and those squidges are sooooo cheap! 🙂

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Applying heli / copter tape’ is closed to new replies.