Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Applying for jobs
  • onehundredthidiot

I’m applying to a generic call for teachers and hope that i’m called if a suitable post is available but they want references (obviously). There is an opt out box wanting me to name the references i would rather were contacted after interview. Does this mean they would as a matter of course contact references even if not interview were in the offing? Will ticking the box influence their thinking in any way?

It’s an online form so the possibility that it will automatically generates calls for references worries me slightly.

MSP

I wouldn’t expect a reference to be contacted unless a job offer had been made, so really the tick box should be futile.

I think most people already in employment would not expect them to be contacted I would not expect ticking the box to count against, I have seen similar a couple of times and ticked it without hesitation.

McHamish
    Free Member

I would have thought that they allow you to tick it in case you don’t want a current employer contacted for references until they’ve offered and you’ve accepted a role. Basically if you don’t want your current employers finding out you’re looking elsewhere.

flippinheckler
    Free Member

As my roll as a parent Gov I have been on a panel today conducting interviews for a post, one of the candidates had written a note underneath the named referee’s if we could please contact them after the interview, none thought that was untoward, or even mentioned it.

Northwind

Interviewers are employers so they should understand how it works- TBH an interviewer who sees that as a problem is probably not doing a very good job anyway.

From a purely practical point of view, gathering references is a pain in the bum and few companies will do it unless you’re a very real contender for a post IME- I’ve never known anyone to do it for all candidates.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

The topic ‘Applying for jobs’ is closed to new replies.