Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Apple Mac BTWIFI
  • mark d
    Free Member

My Apple Mac now keeps defaulting to BTwithFON after updating OS.
    Fricks the hell out of me that they load this stuff on. The only reason I came to Apple in the first place was because Windows always did this stuff and I thought Apple were better.
    I keep changing the settings to default to my router yet every time turn on now it’s now defaulted to BT. I never asked for this.
    Have all updates configured BT as a default ?

bearnecessities

HSTAPITA HYGISOS!

zippykona

They do it because they can.

scaredypants

Bear, that’s come out in Greek – give your iphone a shake

slowoldman

Well there are shedloads of wi fi networks around here. Sky, BT, BT FON. My macbook pro connects to my Plusnet wi-fi by default. So no, I don’t think it’s something Apple have done to piss you off.

rossburton
    Free Member

It’s doing that as it’s the strongest one it can find, or some joker dug into the settings and gave it a higher priority.

To fix this press the wifi icon on the menu, Network Preferences. Then select Wi-Fi and press Advanced. This will give you a list of all the networks it will automatically join to, and their priority order. Find BTwithFON, press the minus button, and remove anything else you don’t like the look of too.

If that doesn’t solve it then you’ve installed “something” that is being “helpful”. Note that in general Macs don’t need anti-virus software, security toolbars, and so on. I was shocked that PC World forced Norton onto my inlaw’s iMac, didn’t even know that existed for the Mac.

maccruiskeen

Find BTwithFON, press the minus button, and remove anything else you don’t like the look of too.

BTwithFON has a habit of finding its way back continually – especially with a laptop where its searching for signals everywhere you go – what I’ve done instead is leave it on but drag BTwithFON to the bottom of the list which means your mac will only try to connect to it if theres absolutely nothing else available, and drag your preferred ones to the top.

I think its simply the fact that BTwithFON has no password so is more readily connected with than anything else you’d rather use.

dickyhepburn
    Free Member

Do what rossburton says and you’ll be fine, just don’t log into BTFON again. I opted out of the FON/BThotspot thing as 1. it never works and 2. 4G tether from phone is faster – so now my router doesn’t broadcast the FON hotspot network

jimdubleyou

If you have an iPhone and are sharing settings your Mac will pick up networks from it.

It’s “helpful” 😈

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

I had this. Don’t worry, there’s a cure. The general theory is this:

• Rename your network to, say “Dorset Knob”

That’ll do it or I’ll eat my hat. No idea why, nor desire to know.

A little more Googling will get you all the details if you need them – sorry, I no longer have the links.

Good luck.

Dorset_Knob
    Free Member

oh, also – you do know you can organise your stored wireless networks into the order you want your Mac to try to find them?

Preferences > Network > Advanced > Wifi

in that panel, just drag your main wireless network to the top.

mark d
    Free Member

Many thanks for all replies, only happening since upgraded OS so naturally thought is was imbedded in the upgrade.
    Will try later

tomnavman
    Free Member

Note that in general Macs don’t need anti-virus software, security toolbars, and so on

That may have been good advice a number of years ago, but certainly isn’t today!

CountZero

Do what rossburton says and you’ll be fine, just don’t log into BTFON again. I opted out of the FON/BThotspot thing as 1. it never works and 2. 4G tether from phone is faster – so now my router doesn’t broadcast the FON hotspot network

This^. It lets BT advertise that it has the biggest wifi network, while keeping quiet about the fact that it’s utterly useless.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Apple Mac BTWIFI’ is closed to new replies.