Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Apple Genius appointment for my iPhone – talk to me!
  • robdob
    Free Member

My iPhone had a bit of a hissy fit last night (first problem with an iphone in 6 years – not bad!) and won’t even go into recovery properly when connected to a PC. Not needing help with that, I have tried everything so I have booked myself a Genius appointment in the Leeds store.

What can I expect? Never been into an Apple store. I’d be happy if my phone was fixed (it’s only 6 months old so still in warranty) but I’ve heard that sometimes they just give you a new phone!

How best do I approach the appointment, any experiences?

jam-bo

don’t go in demanding a new phone.

they’ll fix it if they can or give you a new one if they can’t. I got a new one because the home button didn’t work maybe 1/10 times.

have you tried rebooting it by holding down the power and home button for about 15s.

johnners
    Free Member

Remember to genuflect when you approach the Genius, and all will be well.

warton
    Free Member

if you’re good to them, they’ll be good to you, IME.

my mate smashed his screen, totally his fault a month back. He went in, asked them how much to replace, totally my fault etc. all around him, people were demanding new phones, and generally being arseholes.

guy went away, came back with a brand new phone, there you go, thanks for not trying to take the piss, he said.

robdob
    Free Member

I’ve tried EVERYTHING, don’t worry! Every bit of advice on the internet I followed last night…….

Not expecting a new phone, no. I worked in retail for 12 years so I know how to be a good customer but I wondered if an Apple shop was any different..

p8ddy
    Free Member

Basically, if the phone is faulty they’ll give you a new device or the option of a repair. Whichever you’d rather.

When you go in, explain the problem. They’ll hook the phone up to diagnostics to check it’s fubared. If it is, they’ll put you in the driving seat with regard to what you want. Apple’s customer service is fantastic.

My iphone5 developed a crashing issue after upgrading to iOS 7. Resetting etc didn’t help. Despite the phone being 11 months old, scratched up and beaten and not having recorded any kernel panics, the genius took me at my word. I was asked if I’d like a new phone or if I’d prefer a repair. I opted for new phone. Walked out of the apple store with a new phone set up the same as my old one.

You’ll have nothing to worry about – they’ll fix your issue.

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Just tell them what the problem is and as long as no water damage they’ll replace it – make sure its backed up.

When it comes to broken screens depends who you get and how bad the crack is. I went in last week with a single crack on an iphone still in warranty – £209 please when I asked how much to replace it.

No ta!

robdob
    Free Member

Thank very much, thankfully nothing is broken so it should be straightforward.

johndoh
    Free Member

I have tried everything so I have booked myself a Genius appointment in the Leeds store.

I just went in this morning (would have had to wait till Sunday for an appointment – WTF). Got there at 8.50am, first through the doors and seen straight away, back on my way at 9.05 (minus my dead Air – SSD gone, new issue that has just come to light and they are repairing them FOC on up to 3 yr old machines).

stu1972
    Free Member

Were you trying to put it into DFU or recovery mode?

If it wont DFU then id say its knacked.
    Should be a straight swop in the Apple store

dannybgoode

Just remember that the use of the word ‘Genius’ is more marketing that a strict adjective describing the staff therein the said bar.

When I have had the misfortune to help mummsiebgoode navigate the portal to hell that ius the Apple Store at Meadowhall ‘Complete Arse’ and ‘Clueless Dick’ are more apt…

robdob
    Free Member

I eventually got the phone to the “connect to itunes” screen but it won’t restore, tried every hint and tip I could find online but still getting a 4005 or 4013 error saying it can’t recover the phone.

chico66
    Free Member

Been in twice and both times walked out with a new phone. Last phone was out of warranty and the WiFi/Bluetooth died. The guy hooked it up to his Mac, had a word with his supervisor and said they would replace it as a gesture of goodwill as a phone should last longer than a year, I didn’t even have to argue. If he’d looked at the water indicators he’d have seen they were activated (toilet related submersion!) To me it was as near as admitting it was a known problem without actually admitting so. I was fully prepared to have to stump up for a exchange phone so a thumbs up from me

wysiwyg
    Free Member

Have you disabled your antivirus and tried a fresh cable NOT plugged into a hub, directly into one of the proper USB ports?

Do you have access to another PC?

robdob
    Free Member

Wysiwyg – I did already say I tried every trick printed on the Internet – including those!

Anyway, popped in today on the off-chance, they squeezed me in to see someone (it was busy so wasn’t expecting it). 5 mins later had a new phone.

I’m no apple disciple but that’s the sort of service that’ll keep me buying Apple products. Only have the phone at the moment though, rest of their kit is too many ££££’s!

rab5474
    Free Member

I had a faulty power button on my iphone 5 and a faulty headphone jack on my ipad, i left the sollihul store with a brand new one of each within 25 mins of entering. Excellent customer service from apple.

thegreatape
    Free Member

Choose your style carefully if you decide to dance.

johndoh
    Free Member

I’m having to wait 5 days to get my *in warranty* Air back after the SSD failed

http://www.apple.com/support/macbookair-flashdrive/

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Apple Genius appointment for my iPhone – talk to me!’ is closed to new replies.