Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)
  • Apple apologises for slowing older iPhones down
  • footflaps

I’m slightly surprised by posters sayin non-story or no issue here, really?

It does seem an elegant solution to the problem of older batteries not behaving well (which isn’t specific to Apple). However, they could have avoided a lot of criticism by explaining what they were doing up front.

P-Jay
    Free Member

Who is the Apple battery supplier of choice now?
    There must be 10000 sellers on ebay with the same product. I’d suspect a lot of those are pretty poor quality, so would rather know before buying one that it is going to last longer than 6 months, and preferably close to 2 years.

Sorry to say it’s potluck. The makers don’t brand them (Apple will pound them like the fist of an angry god) so the only selling point is price.

grum
    Free Member

I personally believe Apple have always tried different things to make their ‘old’ phones seem obsolete when they bring new ones out, my old-school 3G was a thing of wonder until the 3GS came out, I remember quiet vividly that they ‘dropped’ the new OS with notes promising new features, but they were mostly hardware reliant so 3G owners simply ended up with a phone that went from great to crap overnight.

So you’re complaining because they brought out a new better phone with new features, which made you feel like yours was now crap? How do they keep improving the new phones without hurting your feelings?

I mean, as above, the way we all feel the need to keep upgrading our phones is unsustainable, but…. welcome to capitalism.

GrahamS

There must be 10000 sellers on ebay with the same product. I’d suspect a lot of those are pretty poor quality,

Yep a lot will be either salvaged from old phones, factory rejects, crap quality or even just straight up frauds. It’s very pot luck.

If genuine batteries are available from Apple at £20 fitted then personally I’ll save the ballache and do that in future.

funkybaj
    Free Member

Just replaced the battery on my iPhone 6. Despite 2 pints at lunch time it was very easy and took about 10 minutes. Phone is much faster now.
    Wish I’d done it months ago.
    Now I won’t need to buy a new iPhone for a long time.

I was thinking of doing similar with my iPhone 6. Do you have a link to what you purchased for the diy replacement?

P-Jay
    Free Member

So you’re complaining because they brought out a new better phone with new features, which made you feel like yours was now crap? How do they keep improving the new phones without hurting your feelings?

No, they actually make my ‘old’ (6 months at most) crap by offering an OS upgrade promising a load of upgrades which after the fact you’d discover that they were hardware reliant so you didn’t actually get them. I don’t really remember what they were, basic stuff like being able to set your own background ‘wallpaper’.

You couldn’t roll back and you had to opt out of upgrades. That was the first time they were accused of it.

grum
    Free Member

Um…. that’s definitely annoying not to offer the new OS features on a not-that-old phone, but I still don’t see how it’s ‘making your old phone crap’. 😕

P-Jay
    Free Member

Um…. that’s definitely annoying not to offer the new OS features on a not-that-old phone, but I still don’t see how it’s ‘making your old phone crap’.

Sorry, I should have made it clear, the new OS run like crap on the ‘old’ Hardware so it made it glacial, a second or more delay between pressing an app and it opening etc.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Job Jobbed. £25 for a new battery supplied and fitted by Apple whilst we wandered around the shops for a bit.

Wife’s 8 is great but I’ll probably wait to see what the 9 brings now

CountZero

P-Jay – Member
    Um…. that’s definitely annoying not to offer the new OS features on a not-that-old phone, but I still don’t see how it’s ‘making your old phone crap’.
    Sorry, I should have made it clear, the new OS run like crap on the ‘old’ Hardware so it made it glacial, a second or more delay between pressing an app and it opening etc.

Well, you could always buy an Android phone, there’s a real possibility that the supplier will never bother sending out an OS update, leaving you to happily carry on until you replace it with a new phone after a year or so, or try to do it yourself.
    At least Apple continue to support their phones with OS upgrades for around three-four years from new; yes, some phones can struggle with an upgrade, usually because the improvements to the OS starts to stretch the ability of the phone’s memory resources, the iP3 had relatively small amounts of RAM, but then, so did other phones.
    I started with an iP3G, then a 4, a 5, now I have a 6+, which is three years old, running the latest iteration of iOS, and its working fine, in fact the only phone that had a problem was the 4, which suffered from the intermittent home button issue, which I never got around to getting fixed..
    If I hadn’t lost it, I’d still be using my 5 as a backup, but so far my 6+ works as well as when I bought it.
    I’ve checked the battery performance, and it appears to be fine, but if it starts to dip, I’ll get a new battery, it’s a fine phone, and I have no issues with it at all, and it’s in use every day both as a phone, satnav with TomTom installed, and general source of all sorts of useful info.
    I couldn’t be without it.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@Count you’ll almost certainly get a new battery for £25 if you have a 6+ on the original battery. I downloaded Coconut-battery for my Mac and it showed my 6’s max charge capacity was just 49% of the original . Apple Stores will do a check in-store if you make a Genius Bar appointment. Just do it, imo crazy not to.

Poopscoop

CountZero

Well, you could always buy an Android phone, there’s a real possibility that the supplier will never bother sending out an OS update,

If you buy from one of the smaller manufactures that might be a possibility but then again your buying a very cheap mobile in comparison to an iPhone.

However, if you go for even relatively small mainstream manufacturer, updates won’t be an issue and you are still getting a cheaper mobile.

The attraction with android is that you have such a massive choice.

Want a bigger battery/more ram/2 sim slots/sd slot/average camera/superb camera…. You have a choice. The same applies if you *don’t* want those features. You don’t have to buy what Apple/Google think you should have. You can buy what you need/want instead.

Kryton57

Well, 11.2.2 anti spectre has arrived on my work iPhone.

Should I upgrade, will it slow down, or recommend me a new battery… or speed up?

docrobster
    Free Member

I’ve done it today. Seems no different. Geekbench scores unchanged.

Tinners

Well, if anyone’s interested, I had two iPhone 6 models done last week. A 2yr contract expired some time ago so must be 2.5 to 3yrs old. Both running slow since last but one update. Both lasting from 8am until early evening on fairly intermittent but regular use through the day. Both charged every night using the phone (not iPad) charger. Booking was painless and offered a midweek slot within 4 days. Apple tested them beforehand to see if they needed doing. First showed 92% on their test, second phone showed 87% (whatever that means). Was told that they don’t “need” doing but “might as well seeing as the offer’s on”. I did them both in the hope it would help longevity. Apple’s test showed no other problems with the phones. Done in 2hours and collected later. It may not be scoentific but both definitely quicker, or rather, back to normal rather than slow and unresponsive (especially firing up the camera and typing texts – no long pauses). However, the unknown here is that there was another update when we had them done. So whether due to new batteries or subsequent update, I dunno but certainly no reason to upgrade these two now, that’s for sure.

Duane…
    Free Member

Tinners – thanks for the update. I have a 6 which is very slow and battery life is poor, so am planning on getting Apple to replace the battery.

a. I assume they would not replace the battery if the screen is already cracked?

b. Would they have any issues if I used a 3rd party to replace the screen prior to getting them to replace battery?

Thanks!

Duane.

Speeder

Anyone know if the 5SE is covered by the battery for £25 deal?

drlex
    Free Member

<span style=”color: #444444; font-size: 16px; background-color: #eeeeee;”>Anyone know if the 5SE is covered by the battery for £25 deal?</span>

Yes; scroll down to battery servicing here – https://support.apple.com/en-gb/iphone/repair/service/pricing

jambalaya
    Free Member

Duane lowest risk option is to take phone in with broken screen and ask them to change battery first. You could ask what screen replacement cost is too esp if you get both done at once

Viewing 19 posts - 81 through 99 (of 99 total)

The topic ‘Apple apologises for slowing older iPhones down’ is closed to new replies.