Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Apple’s Tablet – Changing the face of Publishing?
  • pritcsa
    Free Member

With rumours of Apples impending tablet rife, what effect does everyone think this will have on the publishing industry? Will it be an upheaval on the scale that downloadable music has been for the music industry? Will the fact that anyone will likely be able to publish to a potentially massive audience with minimal overheads change the way media is sold? As a Singletrack fan from the start and having re-read some early issues recently, could this mean for example the likes of Chipps heaading off and solo publishing? Would he really struggle that much to sell 20 pages once a month at a quid a shot? I don’t think so, I’d buy it and if you have 10,000 people willing to buy that then surely that’s looking quite attractive from his point of view.

What does everyone think? Publishing revolution or not?

Smee
    Free Member

Eventually but not yet.

tails
    Free Member

even I'm getting bored with apple and i'm an apple fanboy.

bassspine
    Free Member

1)look at what happened to subscription only on-line newspapers. they really changed the face of the internet. Not.

2)Maybe they blew it when they had manufacturing problems last summer.

3)iJunkies will love it, the rest of the world will probably heave a collective yawn. "another ebook?"

nickhart
    Free Member

sorry but wtf is an apple tablet? one a day keeps the doctor away?

coat……..going

samuri
    Free Member

I must have missed something. It's a touch screen computer is it not?
    How could that revolutionise publishing?

Will the fact that anyone will likely be able to publish to a potentially massive audience with minimal overheads change the way media is sold?

Nope, it's been going on for years, anyone on the planet with an internet connection can already read my publishings.

pritcsa
    Free Member

[/quote]Nope, it's been going on for years, anyone on the planet with an internet connection can already read my publishings.

That's not the point is it though? What this potentially offers is instant convenient online/offline access to any media that you want, not on a laptop, nor at a desk. For the bog-readers amongst us an easy to use simple media reader does hold a certain appeal i think. The interesting thing would be whether established writers would dip their toes into this water. Also much as it goes against the ethos of free internet information i can see the day coming where i'd pay to read some of my favourite blogs. Not yours obviously, just the good one.

samuri
    Free Member

Not yours obviously, just the good one. 😉

I see what you're saying but I still see little difference from this and a subscription only mag-podcast. It's just the same as downloading a pay-per-view pdf onto your netbook and reading it on the bog, except perhaps with a nicer interface.

DudleyPoyson
    Free Member

i think it'll take a while, but this 'could' herald the start of a publishing revolution (or something)

if apple sort out the interface and make as much as a leap with gestures as they did with the iphone then I reckon once people start to take advantage of it others will see what can be done with it

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Apple’s Tablet – Changing the face of Publishing?’ is closed to new replies.