• This topic has 22 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 8 years ago by Drac.
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Apple
  • Daffy

So, yesterday I dropped my iPhone 6s Plus from waist height. Whilst it was in a case, the case was open (the phone was on a pile of stuff that I stupidly balanced to carry from room to room) and it fell flat onto it’s face, shattering the screen.

I made a Genius bar appointment yesterday for today at 11:40, was served on the dot at 11:40. They reviewed my account (noting that I’d owned every model of iPhone) and the phone and asked if I was aware that this wasn’t covered by warranty (I was – idiocy isn’t generally covered) and took the phone into the back. A few moments later the chap re-appeared and asked if I was aware thet the power/lock button was only partially functional – I was, but it didn’t stop it working, just didn’t click as well as it did when it was new. After another brief secondment to the rear of the shop, he informed me that the phone would be swapped under warranty with no charge!

I left the shop 20 mins after I arrived with a new/refurbished iphone 6s plus at no cost.

I have rarely, if ever, experienced such good service and acknowledgement of customer loyalty. Fabulous.

Just thought I’d share.

P.S. I’m not an Apple Fanboi, owning only an iphone and am typing this on a PC whilst my phone restores from the backup.

somouk
    Free Member

They are good like that these days.

Never had an issue with them, even replacing phone cases that have worn which is kind of what they should do hasn’t been an issue.

bungle

MacBook Pro Retina, water-damaged, tiny amount but just enough.

Apple Genius wanted £900 to repair

Apple Repair Station in Bethnal Green, £150.

retro83
    Free Member

That’s really good.

Just a shame they treat clumsy oafs who drop their phones (no offence 🙂 ) better than people who’ve paid a grand or more for a laptop that has pooed its pants due to a widely known manufacturing/design issue.

bungle

Sadly my daughters usually drop their iphones down the toilet.. The one at V festival didn’t even get retrieved

loddrik
    Free Member

Apple genius bar service has only ever been outstanding in my experience. It a shame more companies don’t treat their customers as well.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Carphone Warehouse used to be like that. They had my custom for life!

Then they released Talk Talk…

Still owe me £50 the B@st@rds!

letmetalktomark

I left with Apple (Cambridge) a 5S with a broken screen – accidental damage like OP – I was quoted for the cost of a replacement screen.

Waiting now to see if they replace the screen or the phone. Internet babble suggests the later but I’m expecting the former.

They did swap out my old 3G for a 3GS a few years ago – which was nice 🙂

bigyinn
    Free Member

Im still not sure that paying over the odds for something in the first place justifies this sort of worship.

Cougar

Does seem to be hit and miss from what I’ve heard from people. Some folk get new devices with a smile and a wave, some get presented with hefty repair bills or discounts on upgrades. Mate of mine got tossed from pillar to post with a “water damaged” laptop which was nothing at the sort, must’ve got damp in the warehouse or something.

I wonder if there’s a quota of replacements they can do each day, or whether it matters how nicely you ask or some such?

Drac

I was super nice with my broken 3G and they replaced it for a discount, while I was waiting another guy came in mumbled about being his being broken and he got a free replacement. 😕

Im still not sure that paying over the odds for something in the first place justifies this sort of worship.

What worship? People are speaking about their experiences.

jools182
    Free Member

I’m just saddened that they have something called Genius Bar

allthegear
    Free Member

Sadly my daughters usually drop their iphones down the toilet.. The one at V festival didn’t even get retrieved

Classic back pocket mistake – been there!!

Actually – does anyone want to buy an iPhone 6 plus??

Rachel

bruneep

Dispite being a worldwide company they didn’t want to know about an ipad I bought in middle east.

“Yes its broken, you didn’t buy in this country its out of warranty, here are the prices of new ipads”

allthegear
    Free Member

Bruneep = sounds like you got a badly trained member of staff – Apple warranties are Worldwide. Go back and speak to manager.

Rachel

bruneep

This was the store managers opinion. It failed on a software update, they claimed that as it was from middle east, they wont warranty it as those pesky middle east governments add/remove software on apple devices.

She said that the ipad was probably corrupted due to this. At that point I gave up and walked out before I got all shouty. 🙄

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP nice 😀

@bungle I don’t even like going into festival toilets, I woud never ever considering putting my hand down one 😯 Your daughter would have almost certainly gotten very sick had she done so never mind the prospect of druggie’s needles being down there

bungle

@jambalaya

She’d just arrived too! She didn’t even consider trying to retrieve it. The pit level was about ten feet below her arse apparently.

deviant
    Free Member

They’re not all that great, screen stopped working on my 5S….thought i’d try out the Apple store due to these ‘awesome’ stories you hear of people being given reconditioned devices for free or only paying a nominal amount for a new device….got told:

“yeah, the screen’s not working, you’re out of warranty, i can sell you one for £250″….

No thanks, local independent phone shop did the screen for £60 instead.

CountZero

bigyinn – Member

Haven’t looked at the price of an equivalent Samsung Galaxy recently, have you? SIM-free from GiffGaff, a Samsung Galaxy S7 Edge will set you back £629. An Apple iPhone 6S+, on the other hand, will cost you £599. A 6S is £519.
    Do your homework before making unsubstantiated comments.
    Look at the real retail price, off contract, of most top-end smartphones. The retail price of a Nokia N95, when the very first iPhone came out, was well north of £450-500. And it was utter crap, it didn’t even work as a phone, the speaker buzzed, making voices very difficult to understand – this was a known issue, the camera was crap, the GPS was crap…

teamhurtmore
    Free Member

if only i could sort ‘kin iCloud out (told we have spare capacity until I try to synch my phone and then excess capacity already used 😈 )and the fact that all our family devices are now jumbled – why do women sedn SO many texts to each other???

TheDoctor
    Free Member

Never had great service tbh, took my laptop in as the case had warped, was told it wasn’t warranty and basically my fault! Offered to repair for silly money!

Drac

yeah, the screen’s not working, you’re out of warranty, i can sell you one for £250″….

Did you ask for the price of a new screen, they can be had for less than £60 in some cases.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Apple’ is closed to new replies.