Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)
  • Apparently unreasonable BMX coaching costs… advice please!
  • wilko1999
    Free Member

Hi all

Me and a mate have decided to get some BMX coaching at our local indoor park Rush Skatepark. We’ve only been BMXing for a few months, for info. The resident coach charges £30 per person for an hours coaching (that may or may not be steep, but that’s not the issue).

I arranged a coaching session for me and my mate, and the coach confirmed the price would be £60. Now, my mate has got right on his high horse and thinks the coach should drop the price as there’s two of us for the hour. He has now said he wants to go on his own to get better value. I think that with the two of us we’ll get on better anyway, drive each other to try things and generally have a better time so will get more from it that way. (My MTB session with Jedi was made much better by being with 5 mates I think btw)

Is my mate being unreasonable or has he got a point? I sort of agree with him, but still think that we’ll have a better session if we do it together.

What does the STW contingent think?

br
    Free Member

And when your mate turns up and finds someone else there too… 😆

Better you agree with the Coach how many folk will be there first, and then make sure it’s just you two.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

I’ll do it for £25 – just hang on while I google personal injury waiver…….

wilko1999
    Free Member

😆 it is definitely just a session for the two of us. Or one as its now looking like

jambalaya
    Free Member

You would normally expect a discount for two people. If your mate is paying the same for 1-1 vs 2-1 I would say its reasonable for him to want a 1-1 session. That being said I’ve done guided rides which are a fixed price per person no matter how many turn up but that was £30 for 3 hours which I thought was pretty fair.

qwerty
    Free Member

Hit that same glitch. We paid £60 for the two of us as it suited us there & then. Makes no sense to me, if I were to do it again I pay £30 for one to one. Not a great sales technique. To further getting the most out of your session ensure that you book a slot before the park opens. Enjoy.

deadkenny
    Free Member

On the better in a group or not, I found I got loads out of a 1-to-1 with Jedi as the session was thorough and intensive concentrating on the many mental issues I had. One coach with a 2-to-1 and you’re getting less focus, 3-to-1 and less still. Though price per person it would be cheaper hence why a group is normally good value.

It’s up to the coach though. If they want to charge it that was it’s up to them. Is it one hour coaching two people or two one hour sessions? The latter, then I’d expect no discount, former then maybe.

njee20
    Free Member

Though price per person it would be cheaper hence why a group is normally good value.

Eh? That’s the basis of the question, there is no discount for the two of them.

“Hence why” as well… shudder.

I’d want a discount, or I’d just go 1:1, why wouldn’t you!? I did a Jedi session 2:1, and it was good, but I’d definitely go on my own if the cost was the same (or effectively doubled, as you’re paying the same and getting half the tuition!).

qwerty
    Free Member

You gotta wonder if the coach only wants 1:1 sessions, better use of everyone’s time.

deadkenny
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    Eh? That’s the basis of the question, there is no discount for the two of them.

I was just agreeing that you’d normally expect a discount for a group using an example (i.e. Jedi’s pricing).

“Hence why” as well… shudder.

Grammar nazi 😛

“Ero a group is normally good value”

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I dunno if a 1-1 session would be better, there’s only so much time you can actualy spend riding something instead of pushing/riding back or talking.

Maybe the £30 just overs the park entry fee &insurance and the coaching is essentialy free? I’ve been to climbing walls which used that business model to get people in the door and hooked as they were far more likley to be regular if they were better at it than just being able to tie themselves on and bellay.

wilko1999
    Free Member

Thing is, fundamentally I agree with my mate. The coach doesn’t have the shrewdest business model (been watching Dragons Den) in all honesty.

However I would rather do the session with him, I really don’t think he’ll get much more out of it, if anything by doing it on his own. We are both about the same standard, want to improve on the same things etc. I just think it’ll be a more enjoyable hour. Plus it’s booked for a time when we will have the entire park to ourselves.

qwerty, how did you find the coaching out of interest?

njee20
    Free Member

**insert facepalm emoticon of your choice** 😉

Hence is fine, no need for “hence why”!

I’d perhaps ask if he’ll do 90 minutes for the two of you or something? Then it doesn’t seem so bad!

rone

But he gave you the price, and it was confirmed?

Changing your mind after (we’ve all been there) is just something you’ve got to deal with. The coach might then pursue you for the full fee anyway, depending on his T/C’s.

Either way, I coach and it’s discounted for quantity but people are free to charge what they like. Also, let’s say he discounted it – you might get back a fiver. Life’s too short, especially if he’s good!

Moral is here don’t book your mate in next time!

(As an aside, trying not be too critical here but why not go back to the coach rather than get a few stray opinions – after all only you and him can sort it.)

TiRed

It’s up to the coach to charge what he sees fit. My fees are normally nil (it’s a hobby not a job) or a contribution to my club’s youth funds.

“You gotta wonder if the coach only wants 1:1 sessions, better use of everyone’s time.”

Not always, sometimes two is better than one because the second can watch the first and you can coach on example.

wilko1999
    Free Member

rone I agree with everything you said. Its my mate that’s getting his pants in a plait. I’m going whether its just me or both of us. I asked about pricing for two vs one prior to signing us up and he was firm on the £30 each, but as people have said he’s free to charge what he wants, whether it makes good business sense or not. Hence why I asked for stray opinions. More to gauge if my mate was being a tool or not really by digging his heels in and not coming.

I understand why he would think he’d get better vfm one on one, but I honestly believe he’ll gain more from it if we do it together.

Thanks for your opinions anyway people, thats all I wanted really 😀

Bregante

How would the coach feel about booking two consecutive 1:1 sessions* then whoever is most confident can go first whilst the second one watches?

*I expect he would rather get £60 for one hour opposed to two but this illustrates the problem with his pricing strategy.

deadkenny
    Free Member

njee20 – Member
    **insert facepalm emoticon of your choice**

Hence is fine, no need for “hence why”!

I know, I was mocking, stupid thing didn’t put the ‘g’ in Ergo though. Ergo, hence, therefore. Take your pick, but yes no need for the why, but… ah “meh” 😐

wilko1999
    Free Member

Hey bregante that’s actually a very good idea…

wilko1999
    Free Member

UPDATE: I spoke to the coach about consecutive sessions and he was fine, so I’m doing 9-10, followed by my mate at 10-11, and we’ll both watch each others sessions 🙂 also, the park doesn’t open until 11 on that Saturday, so we’ll both have the place to ourselves. Result, great idea Bregante on the off-chance you’re reading this 🙂

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 20 total)

The topic ‘Apparently unreasonable BMX coaching costs… advice please!’ is closed to new replies.