Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)
  • Apparently I'm "Established Middle Class"
  • Harry_the_Spider

Which is nice.

Linky

binners

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I’m in complete denial of my result and feel dirty after taking the test.

Stoner
    Free Member

One has to ask?

DD, welcome, fellow Elite member 😉

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

What test Stoner? I don’t remember taking any test.

molgrips
    Free Member

Technical middle class

This is a small, distinctive and prosperous new class group.

I’m new, distinctive, prosperous and erm.. small.

Stoner
    Free Member

Next thing you know, you’ll be dropping your “aitches” next time you go down to the Arnolfini…

jimdubleyou

Technical Middle Class.

Proper niche…

lunge

Wow, Elite apparently, It seems to be my cultural interests that have pushed that up from Established Middle Class which feels more realistic.

wwaswas

This is a small, distinctive and prosperous new class group.

I read that as preposterous.

sorry 🙂

davidtaylforth
    Free Member

This must’ve been done before. It’s from 2013. But still, it’s a monday morning…

Emergent service workers

This class group is financially insecure, scoring low for savings and house value, but high for social and cultural factors. According to the Great British Class Survey results, lots of people in this group:

Are young
    Enjoy a cultured social life
    Rent their home – almost 90%

jools182
    Free Member

Culturally sophisticated but no cash

What a surprise

Don’t go into engineering

sandwicheater

My friends dragged me down, who knew?

zippykona

I own a shop am I a chief executive or a shop assistant?

centralscrutinizer
    Free Member

I’m one of the Elite 😯
    Seems like social mobility is just a case of listening to all sorts of music and popping into the odd museum or gallery.

scotroutes

TMC here too. I suspect that will be the majority on here?

binners

Emergent service worker, whatever that means.

I think its skint working class scum with delusions of cultural adequacy

footflaps

The wealth bit is just a pseudo indicator for age, if you bought a house 20 years ago, you’re wealthy no matter what job you do.

[url=https://flic.kr/p/BtNmYQ]Untitled[/url] by Ben Freeman, on Flickr

Only ever got as far as Dangerous before….

MrSmith
    Free Member

elite or established middle class depending on including the GF’s property and income or not.
    still working class though, grew up on a council estate, did spudding in the summer, get my hands dirty etc. just happen to like some of the things that ‘posh’ people do. much like my grandparents who worked on the railway and behind the bar but loved opera. if your formative years were in a particular class you stay that way.
    i know plenty of middle class people who are poor and working class people who are millionaires.
    these online test things are very hit and miss

bruneep

Result: the class group you most closely match is:

New affluent workers

Hmmm PS worker I doubt that very much

hammerite
    Free Member

New affluent workers.

Think I was saved when I admitted to listening to hip hop.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

Established middle class, the horror.

I’m off to ritually purge myself of last nights white stilton with cranberries, rosemary crackers and sauv blanc (we were watching I’m a celebrity – that gets me a few credits back surely?).

Better get a pie for lunch to make up for it.

Harry_the_Spider

I think its skint working class scum with delusions of cultural adequacy

Yep, but because I know you (an artist) I get propelled into Middleclassville. You may be scum, but you’re my kind of scum. 😉

If the wife hadn’t gone part time to look after Tarquin and Cressida I may have even made it to the next category. Would that involve voting Tory and having a sex-wee into dead animals?

longmover
    Free Member

Culturally sophisticated but no cash

What a surprise

Yep, emergent service worker here

GrahamS

Established Middle Class here (unsurprisingly), though I thought I might get Technical instead.

Surprised there are so many Elite on here though. I know we have a skewed demographic, but Elite is supposed to be only 6% of the population and an average age of 57.

You did all notice that it was income after tax, yes?

(Not sure how this test can claim to be remotely accurate without considering location and household expenditure too).

mudshark
    Free Member

Technical middle class, which I didn’t like, so reviewed and now Elite – between the two I suppose.

thestabiliser
    Free Member

@ mudshark – surely aspirant middle class would be a better fit? 😆

copa
    Free Member

Precariat.
    Might explain why I only own one bike and it cost £60.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Established middle class, engineering rocks 🙂

elite or established middle class depending on including the GF’s property and income or not.
    still working class though, grew up on a council estate, did spudding in the summer, get my hands dirty etc. just happen to like some of the things that ‘posh’ people do. much like my grandparents who worked on the railway and behind the bar but loved opera. if your formative years were in a particular class you stay that way.
    i know plenty of middle class people who are poor and working class people who are millionaires.
    these online test things are very hit and miss

I think if anyone did the test based on what shitty jobs they did whilst a student we’d all be on the bread-line. I don’t think you get to call yourself ‘working class’ and own multiple properties between you. And the whole concept of social mobility is that you don’t stay the same class as your parents (you move up/down).

To me the distinction was always:
    Working class – you have spare time and you do some more work in it to raise a bit more money.
    Middle class – you’ve enough money to spend a considerable portion on your free time (mountain bikes) and you might even do some voluntary work or work in a job you like rather than the best you could get,
    Anything higher you’ve got more money than you spend, so you spend more than necessary on your free time (owning a brace of high end shotguns rather than having once been clay pigeon shooting on a middle class stag do).

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

You did all notice that it was income after tax, yes?

Same difference for the likes of me. 😀

GrahamS

Same difference for the likes of me.

Are you Amazon or Starbucks?

lunge

Maybe a comment for a new thread but class is absolutely fascinating mainly as some think it’s based on family history and others on current circumstances.

I have 2 friends, a couple, 1 a lawyer, 1 an accountant, combined household income of £150k+, big house, lots of savings, very cultured in their tastes. But they’re adamant they’re working class as only 1 or her parents worked and he was a shop keeper, the fella’s folks were the same, 1 worked, one was a car salesman. I’d say they’re middle, bordering on upper class.

mudshark
    Free Member

@ mudshark – surely aspirant middle class would be a better fit?

My family were aristocracy until my Father married beneath himself…I don’t fir in anywhere 🙁

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Are you Amazon or Starbucks?

Well, I post a loss every year 🙁 but I don’t have the registered company in Luxembourg or Ireland. 🙂

ourmaninthenorth

Elite.

But you knew that already, didn’t you?

aracer
    Free Member

It’s an STW niche I think.

Though if I was brutally honest about my social life it wanted to categorise me as New Affluent Worker, which is strange as the first sentence is “This class group is sociable” – the algorithm appears to be broken.

scotroutes

Up the savings (the value of your investments may go down as well as up) and I hit Elite.

The “own your own home” question doesn’t take into account mortgage and or equity which makes the whole financial part questionable anyway.

ernie_lynch
    Free Member

Precariat

This is the poorest and most deprived class group.

And I thought I was a bit posh…..I even read the Guardian ffs.

Still, I might be poor and deprived, but at least I’m happy.

bikebouy
    Free Member

Pile of shite test to conjure up some internet clickbait 😆

I did it too..

Leave you to guess the outcome..

slowoldman

Despite my best efforts to fiddle the results to become Elite. I’m still Technical middle class.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 106 total)

The topic ‘Apparently I'm "Established Middle Class"’ is closed to new replies.