Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Apologies in advance…what all year round tyres?
  • smogmonster

So its time for some new tyres….at the risk of being a bit ‘moon on a stick’ i want tyres that are ok all year round, approx 2.2 or 2.3 inch to replace my Fat Alberts. Im well out of the latest tyre fashions, so what can you recommend?

wwaswas

Love my Intense System 5’s for all round use.

The new tubeless ready carcass is pretty good – much easier to get running with a rim strip.

Solo
    Free Member

Bontrager Mud X for me.

What the tyre can’t handle ?, I do.

Tis the game, dontcha knoooow.

😉

neil853
    Free Member

For me it’s Maxxis ADvantages, in either 2.25 or 2.4. I’m running a 2.4 front and 2.25 rear and they really have been amazing. Went to Hamsterly last weekend and in all honesty they are going to postpone me fitting the swampthings for a while longer!

DezB
    Free Member

Had my Hutchinson Toros on for as long as I can remember. Bit worn now the winter is coming, but I reckon they’d handle it.
    Then I’d say Medusas.

votchy
    Free Member

Couple of years ago I ran a Kenda blue groove up front and a nevegal at the back, both DTC compound and they worked pretty well in Wyre forest mud, snow, lake district rocks, trail centres on a 5

senorj

What votchy said.

richwales

Hutchinson toro are v good.

timmys

I use 2.2 Rubber Queens all year. I tend to avoid the worst of the slop though as my most common riding locations are sandy or man-made trails.

toys19
    Free Member

If you insist on one tyre only then high rollers.
    Personally I have high rollers on most of the time, and swampthings when its rooty and slidey. If its deep gloop when others would use wetscreams I prefer to stay at home..

lowey

Another vote for Advantages. For the money they are a great value tyre. They only really struggle on deep mud and wet snow.

ScottChegg
    Free Member

I hated High Rollers. And I hated Nevegals.

I do like Advantages and Ignitors, though.

amsterdan
    Free Member

2.2 rubber queen black chilli flavour a bit expensive but worth it 😆

alfabus
    Free Member

Maxxis Ignitors

glenh
    Free Member

Specialized Eskar 2.3 2bliss, sans tubes of course.

teasel
    Free Member

It’ll be a tough one but first off – where abouts do you ride most of the time i.e. ‘soil type’ etc. ?

karnali
    Free Member

2.1 advantages are good, have mine tubeless and it means i cant be bothered to change them so they stay on all year and i can mince about in any conditions with them on.

jambon
    Free Member

No jokes about ’round’ tyres?

+1 Ignitors.

organic355
    Free Member

My tyres stay round all year, theyre great.

snowpaul
    Free Member

Bonty mud x or Jones ACX or Trailraker on the rear

Nevegals are good too

Northwind

Nevegals, with every second transition knob cut off them to stop them from clogging solid with mud.

Does depend on what you’re riding though, IMO the tyre that can deal well with deep mud, wet rock, dust and hardpack doesn’t exist, and never will, and the tradeoffs are big enough to make it well worthwhile to change tyres. But not everyone rides all sorts of surface.

coolhandluke
    Free Member

I like 2.3 Continental Verticals myself, especially in winter as I find I can slide them a bit without crapping myself. I find them nicely predictable.

Cheap too but not terribly good in thick mud. Leaves you spinning a bit, then getting off and pushing.

I think Halfords do them for about £15 a circle.

smogmonster

I hate High Rollers..tried them a few years ago and thought they were lethal. I’ll likely choose between Advantages and Rubber Queens. I ride in the Yorkshire Dales…i live in Swaledale, and the North Yprk Moors…so a mixture of stone double track and muddy single track.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Apologies in advance…what all year round tyres?’ is closed to new replies.