Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Apologies Helmets
  • mrmo
    Free Member

Tragic case

What the **** has wearing a helmet got to do with this! get hit by a van doing 68mph and you are in the crap, a helmet is going to do prescious little. So what is the point mentioning it, is the cyclist to blame for being in the way? is the cyclist to blame for not wearing a non legally prescribed article of clothing, that wouldn’t have stopped his broken back, and facial damage, etc.

I just find the mention irrelevant unless your trying to blame the cyclist, So why mention it?

cookeaa

Paging TJ… Oh… 😥

bencooper
    Free Member

I wonder if it’s mentioned because the defence raised it as a mitigating factor.

scuzz
    Free Member

The Mail has an article with slightly more information:

No details of singer-songwriter Mr Belmonte’s injuries were given in court.

he was an experienced cyclist, was fully aware of the road at the time and did not have any headphones in.

Neither article suggests that a helmet had anything to do with it – the case was about the policeman’s driving, not about cyclist.

While it’s irksome that they mention the lack of a helmet, I don’t think they’re trying to imply that he should have worn one.

chakaping
    Free Member

Are you calling us all helmets?

🙁

mrmo
    Free Member

I wonder if it’s mentioned because the defence raised it as a mitigating factor.

I just find it a bit offensive, it reminds me of the rape defence of she was wearing a short skirt so asking for it.

If the cyclist jumped off the pavement into the path of the speeding van then yes i can see the relevance of that, but being hit from behind whilst riding down the road?

Maybe if we’re talking about compensation later again you could argue it is relevant, but for a driving conviction?

Gotama
    Free Member

And it may make someone think ‘oooooh i should wear a helmet’ which can’t be a bad thing.

fasthaggis

I like the idea of an apology helmet “oops ,sorry you are going to crash”

ThePinkster

Maybe if we’re talking about compensation later again you could argue it is relevant, but for a driving conviction?

I this case I don’t think it should even be taken into account then.

IIRC cycle helmets are only have to give you protection upto 12mph to obtain CEN certification so against a van travelling at 68mph it would provide no defence at all.

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Apologies Helmets’ is closed to new replies.