Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Apart from the obvious, what steel frame for a monstercross/drop bar 29er?
  • paul4stones

Ok, I know it’s now an ancient niche but I still want to try a monstercross type bike and I’ve more or less got the bits to build one up, except for a frame. Obviously a Grypon or Fargo would do it or a Peregrine but what can I use that would be cheap and available just to try? Can it be done with a normal 29er frame, I’m thinking probably a size smaller than usual?

Suggestions welcome, thanks.

sam69
    Free Member

I WOULD love to try a monstercross

firestarter
    Free Member

I had 1.8″ tyres on my crosscheck that was good fun, also had a drop bar singular swift very nice but defo I mountain bike with drops rather than a cx where as the cc was a proper cx feel both very different both great and great fun 😉 both are great to deal with and will answer any questions too 😉

sam69
    Free Member

apart from singular swift whats another frame thats good to build a monstercross? can you put up basic build for monstercross build please, firestarter

cynic-al
    Free Member

I run a small flat bar 29er frame with drop bars, works ok actually.

Sam: it’s just an off road bike with drop bars.

firestarter
    Free Member

sam69
    Free Member

firestarter ,ive sent you an email,can you email me more photos that looks the dogs m8

firestarter
    Free Member

Both now sold, as above really either get a cx bike with room for big tyres or an mtb with a short tt and adjust stem to get bars right for you, I prefer wider bars and have them a bit higher as I decend on the drops, brakes wise cantis or if you can discs I used bb7 road with road levers. Some people like flared drops too. That’s about it really mate 😉

All I’d say is decide what bike you’d like to have as in if you don’t like riding off road too much on the road barsa swift is good with normal mtb set up so you haven’t wasted much cash but if you quite fancy a bit of road riding too as well as offroad cross is a good buy. Sam has a number of bikes that would prob suit depending on how you wanted to build it up 😉 enjoy

firestarter
    Free Member

paul4stones

Al – a small flat bar 29er frame. You mean smaller than you would normally have but with some stem arrangement to accommodate the bars?

paul4stones

Thanks Mick, all those look good 🙂

Was just wondering if there was a *cheap* way in rather than splashing £4-500 on a new frame 😉

ds3000
    Free Member

Firestarter, nice bike, nice picture

Nipper99
    Free Member

one of these:

phone 035 by jamesanderson2010, on Flickr

Bregante

The obvious answer here is. Karate Monkey!

MrTall
    Free Member

Triton cycles have some Fargo (£325) and Surly frames (KM £259) Ogre (£387) on offer at the moment but only in limited sizes.

I love my Mark 1 Fargo and run it with 105 shifters on BB7 road brakes and Salsa Bell Lap bars.

Northwind

No idea how well it works, but Roadrat? Haven’t had mine offroad yet to comment on that.

1-shed
    Free Member

Got a van dessel WTF but I don’t think they are available at the moment, versatile frame but the important consideration is top tube length to accommodate the extra reach of drop bars. Monster cross bikes suit my off road rides now plus they look great.

1-shed
    Free Member

If you are riding geared I went 2 x 10 42 – 26 front 12 – 27 back which suits most rides.

sam69
    Free Member

THanks for info and help and photos will bw back later when ive sorted frame 😀

sam69
    Free Member

IM 6ft tall would the surley be to big for me or do they come up small?

paul4stones

So the answer seems to be the obvious.

Thanks all for the input and looking forward to your pics Sam 🙂

takisawa2

Might sound a daft question, but has anyone gone the other way & put normal bars on Salsa Fargo ?

Just thinking, for the odd day out at a trail centre etc, where a more mtb like set-up would be better.
    The more I look at a Fargo the more I think its 90% of what I want in a bike these days.

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Apart from the obvious, what steel frame for a monstercross/drop bar 29er?’ is closed to new replies.