Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Anywhere selling the MAXXIS Shorty at a reasonable price?
  • Poopscoop

Going to try one on the front of a new build with Beaver on back.

Trouble is they are pretty expensive.

I’m after the “tail star” version or whatever it’s called, the lighter one.

Oh, in 26″ too! 😀

Anyone come across good deal online?

Cheers guys!

creamegg
    Free Member

Try one of the German sites, although you may find it hard to track down a trailstar version

Poopscoop

Any particular online German shop worth trying mate?

Thanks for info!

Northwind

creamegg – Member

Try one of the German sites, although you may find it hard to track down a trailstar version

That’s not completely helpful 😆 (for the OP, Trailstar is a Schwalbe name not Maxxis)

I struggled to find a cheap Shorty, the Germans don’t seem very into them. Totally worth it at full price but that still offends my skinflint’s soul.

mboy
    Free Member

Feels wrong to be doing this as a bike shop owner, but… Seeing as you can’t get them for love nor money in the UK at the moment!

http://www.probikeshop.com/en/gb/maxxis-shorty-tyre-26×2-30-3c-maxxgrip-tubeless-ready-flexible-tb73309000/99515.html

Poopscoop

Yeah, I got c9onfused on naming! lol

Thanks for link too!

However… ordered just before I came back to the thread.

Not a tragedy though, got them for £37.79 from a UK seller. Nextdaytyres.co.uk

Thanks for help guys!

If helpful to anyone else (top option I bought):
    http://nextdaytyres.co.uk/details.aspx/maxxis-shorty-26/355/2444?gclid=cj0keqia4eqybrduh7omv9vctsobeiqaspfs8qoaxxc2-um7rkguw_usgowlkig1c9fudmq-wh9hygaaamr78p8haq

jk1980
    Free Member

Ordered a 650b one last week from the German site Bike24…cheaper than UK sites but more importantly they have stock!

wilko1999
    Free Member

Great link mboy. I normally get tyres from Nextdaytyres, however due to stock shortage all over the UK what can you do?! Just gone 650b and building up my bike, wanted some 2.3 Minions and there don’t seem to be any available from UK sellers at all.

Anyone want a 26″ 3C 2.3 Shorty by the way? Used only once on a sloppy muddy off-piste FoD ride!

jacksprogis
    Free Member

BETD had stacks in stock @44 quid

jamesfts
    Free Member

Looks like they’ve put their prices up substantially then… http://www.mountainbikecomponents.co.uk/shorty-27-5-2-3-maxx-terra-2391

Is it me or are prices for mtb tyres getting a bit daft? I thought Schwalbes were getting pricey but £60, really?

I’ve just spent £70 a tyre on 18in Goodyear Eagle F1 AS2s for the car… feel like you’re getting a hell of a lot more for your money!

Speeder

wilko1999 – Member

🙂 Anyone want a 26″ 3C 2.3 Shorty by the way?

Will drop you a PM.

G

Poopscoop

Just a heads up on good service, Nextdaytyres did indeed deliver…. next day. So all is good there. 🙂

Wilko 1999 Anyone want a 26″ 3C 2.3 Shorty by the way? Used only once on a sloppy muddy off-piste FoD ride!

Could do with another one (Shorty that is) and totally missed your comment when I skim read the posts! Doh!

Mailed you in case its still for sale. No worries if speedster got it though. 😉

ajt123
    Free Member

Am thinking about going Maxxis Shorty as a replacement for the old nobby nic – less keen on the new one.

Clearly a bit grippier. Any thoughts?

llatsni
    Free Member

I think the Shorty is a terrible tyre.

I had one on the front of my Jekyll for a bit, and while it *might* have a slight margin on say a High Roller in deep wet mud… the HR beats it by significant margin in every other condition (and isn’t too bad in wet mud).

jamesfts
    Free Member

Depends what, where and how you ride, a lot of lour local stuff suits the Mary/Shorty cut spike up front far more than something like a HR.

Weirdly I never got on with old Nics but found the new versions a vasty better tyre, more grip and more predictable than the old ones making the HD a bit pointless.

I’ve been reliably informed Nextdaytyres will be getting some 650b Shortys in very soon… though I’m not saying when incase you lot buy them all before I can call in. ;

Northwind

ajt123 – Member

Am thinking about going Maxxis Shorty as a replacement for the old nobby nic – less keen on the new one.

Clearly a bit grippier. Any thoughts?

Very different tyres tbh, the shorty’s best at stuff a nic is useless at. So it’s mostly about what you want it to do. I’d say if you were at all happy with the Nic then the Shorty’s probably not the right tyre though.

ajt123
    Free Member

I want a grippy rear tyre that will hoof me up inclines in wet, natural condition and clears well.

Mostly ride South East XC,muddy, sandy, but rarely rocky.

Have a Michelin Wild Gripr2 on the front for Winter, but an increasingly thinking I might just use all year round, instead of swap back to Hans Dampfs.

jamesfts
    Free Member

I’d say a shorty is way ott for a rear tyre, will be draggy as hell for what you’re after.

andymc06
    Free Member

I had a look at Bike24 and went for a Magic Mary 650b in the end. £32 delivered seems a bargain at current uk prices.

ajt123
    Free Member

Probably go vigilante then…

bill-oddie
    Free Member

To the OP and anyone else considering beaver / shorty combo. the 2.2 beaver is higher volume casing than the 2.3 shorty. Best go for the 2.0 one if you want it as a winter rear that’s good in mud.

I made this mistake- so now have a back tyre that’s like a frickin balloon!! THe shorty up front is great though.

I think they are measuring tyre volume to the outside of the tread – so the larger spikes on the shorty make for a lower volume casing and the oppostite being true of the beaver

leftyboy
    Free Member

Running a Shorty up front and a Minnion DHF on the rear which so far seems good. The Shorty has loads of grip and is good on everything except wet tramac, swapped the Minion from the front to the rear as the only other tyre I had to hand is a standard Ardent and I’m surprised how well the minion copes in mud.

Been off the bike for 3 weeks with a nasty stomach bug so comments above, based on last night’s ride, are from a slow up, slow(ish) down mincer! 🙂

philwarren11
    Free Member
Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Anywhere selling the MAXXIS Shorty at a reasonable price?’ is closed to new replies.