Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • Anything worth riding south of Reading?
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I know there's plenty to the north, but is there anything worth riding between Shinfield and Wokingham without jumping in the car and heading for Swinley?

Just need a 10-15mile loop to keep me ocupied while either my knee gets better or I trash it beyond repair and get the Docs to sort it.

Failing that, any organised(ish) nightrides in the Reading area?

mtbfix

In a word? No. Head east to Swinley or west to the North Hampshire Downs for riding south of the M4.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmm that's what I suspected, looks sporadic to say the least, might head out with a map in daylight and see what's there, hopefully the footpaths aren't to clogged up with stiles otherwise it's looking a bit stop/start.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Then again, I did 8 x 2.5km laps arround the local park, so it only has to be more interesting than that!

theotherjonv

Not entirely sure how to get there from Shinfiled but there's plenty at Baramshill / Heath warren / Warren Heath. Gorrick have had races in all these locations in the past

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Hmmm, a little far, dam my silly little car!

ricochet_rob
    Free Member

Where abouts are you thisisnotaspoon

I dont think there is much around that way, what there is is generally churned up by the horses and almost impassable.

Night ride sounds like an idea though

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Lower Earley, near the Mill Lane Roundabout/Best Western Hotel.

As Far as night riding goes, if anyone who's been here longer than me wants to meet up for 10-20miles easy-ish miles a couple fo times a week I'd be up for that, just to get some miles in my legs and work off some of the pies!

BluePalomino
    Free Member

thisisnotaspoon – heh, you live just down the road!

Knowl Hill/Crazies Hill and it's surrounding secrets! Not strictly south of Reading but close enough and lots of cheeky wooded runs 🙂

gusamc
    Free Member

Basingstoke (and below) has some nice bits.

Google on Knowl Hill Bridleway (and look at OS50 starting at Knowl Hill to E of Maidenhead on A4)

Can get over to the Coombes from Lower Early.

There is a cheeky circuit starting from Burghfield Common (or Mortimer) but it's probably a tad moist now.

Mincer

There are some non-techy trails just south of the motorway, starting round the back of Nirvana and around the golf courses – OK for an hour of so if you need to get out.

Mountain High in Pangbourne do good nightrides on Tues night – its only 20 mins down the motorway

I'm based in Earley

boobs

I'd like a cheeky circuit near Mortimer, there really isn't too much around. Not that fussed over a bit of damp.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘Anything worth riding south of Reading?’ is closed to new replies.