Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)
  • Anything interesting happen your Thursday night ride?
  • andywarner
    Free Member

Just that.

Mine was a bit dull really, although I did manage to spook myself going over a bridge on the moors that's meant to be haunted, according to local legend.

bobbyspangles

i fell off, and i wasn't even moving!
    we saw 2 owls

oh! and i forgot my seatpost and saddle

shortcut

We got to give some helpful advice to the Armys' finest when they got their truck stuck axle deep in a puddle. We even helped for a while until we got cold and tired.

Olly
    Free Member

ive got DeJaVue over this post, my thursday night ride didnt happen as i left my muddy shoes out on the step from wednesdays, and it HAMMERED it down, so they were sopping sopping wet, and full of sticky Clay.

Bummder

Ti29er
    Free Member

None of my night rides, last night included threw up much.

Well, there was the huge obese woman walking her dog who failed to move as I tried to squeeze by and we had an altrication.

20 mins later, still feeling pumped up, I came across 6 dead-beats on the narrow tow path by the canal boats. I duly rode very slowly past, through them as they parted for myself and 2 walkers, only to be verbally abused by one guy off his face.
    10m down the trail I stopped, dismounted and we had it out there and then on the tow path, verbally, my God, I was seconds from going physical on him, I swear it's the closest I've been in 2 years since my last stand-up fist fight.

500m down the tow path I see why they were behaving as they were. There's a section cordoned off with somber men standing about. One of the boat owners had died, although looking at the tape etc, it looked like a crime scene – read: a murder.
    After that I came across a guy I've not ridden with in 2years, so we stop for a chin-wag.
    Ride time: 2:05hrs, getting back at 6pm, and I was pretty dog tired as that's the shortest of 3 rides in 4 days so I gave it some grief on the hills.

So all-in-all, a quiet Thursday night ride!

ton

i did a road ride.
    i did feel quite fit tho…..which is quite odd.

Legoman
    Free Member

I saw 2 rats.

That's all.

woody2000

Ti29er – either you've made that up, you've been watching too much CSI or you live in LA. Which is it? 😀

Ti29er
    Free Member

Seriously, hand on my heart, it all happened within about a 20 minute window.
    Assume the taped of part of the tow path was a CSI. Some of the official, sombre looking men were plain clothes policemen and not mourners. But I was only cycling past, had a 20 second conversation and was on my way.

Many small communities seem to exist down on the canal, living on the boats and barges, some of them are never seen without a can of blue Tenents Larger in one hand and a fag in the other.

psychle
    Free Member

Had an altercation with some 'yoofs' of East London riding along the canal at around 7pm last night… they were blocking the path with their bikes (standing there with two bikes across the towpath) and wouldn't let me through, I didn't feel that 12-13 year olds should be able to force me to ride around them, so I politely (honestly!) asked them to move (performing a natty trackstand as I did so 🙂 )… when they didn't I kind of 'forced' my way through, bumping the front wheel of one bike as I did… queue much swearing and bravado…

As I rode off I heard the sound of someone running after me and the next thing I know one of them has grabbed my bag and pulled me off my bike! Jumping up and spinning around, I'm confronted by a slightly older punk who obviously thinks he's a well hard gangster man, he's spouting off and looking to defend the honour of his homey (I think?)… then all his mates catch up and I find myself pretty much surrounded by 7-8 kids ranging from around 11yr to 15yrs old, all yelling and acting tough…

Instinct/self preservation kicks straight in (I really thought I was in
    trouble!) and I throw the first punch, a decent hard right hand jab to the midriff of the bigger one who pulled me off my bike… he goes down winded (don't think he was expecting it at all!) and I start the 'crazy man act', screaming abuse and challenges at the top of my lungs and getting straight in the face of the two blocking my escape route… thankfully they backed straight off and I managed to get back on my bike and get the **** out of there!

My heart was racing after that, that's for sure… could've turned rather nasty if they'd actually been as 'gangster' as they were pretending to be! Shall avoid the canal for a little while, just in case 😆

Ti29er
    Free Member

Damn.
    I wish I'd acted out my urges and decked the drunk who was verbally having a go at me.
    That would have been assault, whereas yours was more akin to self defense since you acted after the first assault by the youth.
    Pikeys or not, I now look like a right patsy.

psychle
    Free Member

I never fight, but my brain just went 'this is trouble' and that was that… I think because I was surrounded and couldn't just get out of there, 'fight or flight' and all that!

Pook

my back wheel came off. Twice.

Ti29er
    Free Member

Pook.
    Be thankful you don't ride a unicycle!
    Or though, I guess you were for a while yesterday.

andywarner
    Free Member

wow nowt like that happens here in rural north yorkshire. once got threatened that i was gonna get shot by some beaters but certainly never been attacked or had any real aggro as such.

MrSparkle

Thursday night is fell running night. The interesting bit was that my light failed as soon as I set off. Sadly i was leading the run, tricky with no light and 6 people behind you with lights so that you are constantly in your own shadow. yes, it was muddy and icy. yes, I did fall over. Several times. yes, it hurt. ;0)

Ti29er
    Free Member

It's purely a coincidence.
    How many posts like that are this?
    Talking about last night's ride?
    Asking if anything happened?

Most evening rides are without incident and if I leave after dark, rarely do I see anyone at this time of the year.
    In the summer there's at least one pi$$ed up group of canal people blocking the tow path every ride and I cover about 30 mins on this path each ride. They're a bl$$dy nuisance tbh. I'm sure they feel the same about most every cyclist on their path too!

scaredypants

1st time out since Christmas, mine was even muddier than expected but saw more people out & about in the rain than I've seen for months (must be the lighter nights 🙄 )

stumpy01

Only incident last night was being beaten by 2x singlespeeders…. 😥

Must do more exercise!!

gator
    Free Member

Ripped in two pieces my Sram XO rear mech

Bent QR and drop out (steel frame)hope the threads are ok ?

Haven't checked wheel yet

Finished the ride – sort of single speed – bit of chain 'skippage'

Cheers to my mate Matt for assisting with the bodge

elliptic
    Free Member

Dave sent us into some huuuuuuuuuuuge puddles.

Martin had a splendid OTB into some brambles.

Lizzy had to stand on one leg while we figured out how to unclip her other shoe (cleat bolt gone awol).

Johnny opened the doors on the logburner in the pub (after we'd all told him not to) resulting in smoke-filled room and evil looks from the landlord.

Just your average night 🙂

moremudplease
    Free Member

not on thursday night,on wednesday night my mate slipped on ice and broke and dislocated his left ankle, took fireman with4x4 truck and ambulance crew to get him to hospital

carlos
    Free Member

Out round Macc Forest whilst testing out my newly built DIY led light and its quite impresive for about £45 if I may say so. 🙂

Still about 8ft snow drifts along Charity Lane so ended up walking a fair bit and gave up when I got to Standing Stone Carpark as the snow is still 3/4 the way up the field gate, saw two very dodgily parked cars with steamed windows on the way back down past the ranger station.

Back to Mellor next week.

taka
    Free Member

i havent been out on a night ride in ages but tonigh i thought i would.. and my tyre came off the rim twice 😥

greasystain
    Free Member

Several Thursday nights back a local owl flew along above my head as we rode down a local bridleway. It gave me a bit of a shock as, all of a sudden, it silently appeared lit up by my helmet light. Somehow no one else saw it though! My mates thought I had been seeing things.

Roll forward a couple of weekand the same thing happen to another rider in our group, at the same place, and this time there were witnesses.

'…see I wasn't imagining it!'

Marge
    Free Member

I was waved at by a couple of the prostitutes working the windows along one of the main roads during my ride….
    Never sure if it's good manners to wave back or not 🙂

Viewing 26 posts - 1 through 26 (of 26 total)

The topic ‘Anything interesting happen your Thursday night ride?’ is closed to new replies.