Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • anyone working……
  • ton

i hate working saturday mornings………
    trade counters get full of d.i.y dickheeds on a saturday morning.
    i wanna throw em all out the door………… 😮

grumm
    Free Member

Na but I will be this evening 🙁

Dancake
    Free Member

At work on earlies right now. Nights all next week starting tomorrow night

Might take the dogs/ dog bike out to Standish tomorrow afternoon for an hour but thats it.

oldgit
    Free Member

Yep.
    I'll have the DIY dickheeds money if you want to throw them this way.

Drac

On holiday.

Are all you trade sellers trained to be like this to DIY bods, I went to our local plumb trade place for a central heating timer a few weeks back. Showed him the old one and asked if they had something that would fit.

"Ah yes you want one with hotwater and central heating on it"

I could see that myself given that's what was written on it but I was polite.

"Yes, that's right thanks"

"Well we only have one like that, this one."

"Do you mind if I check the fittings as my system is old….err it's the wrong fittings"

"Yes some do vary, that'll be £65 please."

"Why, it won't fit do you have a plate for it so can I rewire it?"

"No, but I can get one for next week so that's £65"

"What I'm not buying it, there's no point if you don't have the fittings"

"Errr!"

So back to screwfix for me, that said the local builders merchants I use or very good indeed most helpful well stocked and cheap.

krag
    Free Member

I'm in work, moving 18 odd servers from one datacentre to another. Was sposed to be in at 8:30, had call from colleague at 9, I was still in bed. Nevermind, I'm here now and obviously doing lots of work…

oldgit
    Free Member

Drac
    I go after those places business by being helpful and cheaper.
    I'm electrical, but I work with two other businesses one a plumbers merchant the other a builders/tools/glazing business.
    Always happy to deal with the punters AT LEAST THEY PAY.

ton

Drac, can you imagine working in a trade counter………….trade that is…..
    and some bloke walks in and his opening words are 'in need some advice, can you help me'

Drac

Yeah it's a customer who may come back and buy more so should be helped, glad oldgit sees what I mean.

oldgit
    Free Member

My answer would be yes.

If you get a customer that does push it a bit, just up the price a little. He'll be thankful and hopefully recomend you. We do well like that.
    Though I must admit, there are rules as to what the public can and can't do in my trade, so that makes giving advice a little easier.

Thing I don't like about Screwfix is that they advertise the prices but often don't have the stuff. I'd like to know if Screwfix would do a lighting scheme a heating plan an emergency lighting scheme know about voltage drop know when to supply high power factor as opposed to low power factor lighting would they get you something not in their books or on their system and so on?

luke
    Free Member

I was on call today, incase of any no show's in the office, but as off 6 minutes ago the call out deadline has passed so the day's mine, easy money this call out, as I get paid a fee to be on standby, and overtime rate if I have to call in. I was hoping to get called in so I could fund a new frame, insted I get to go to the lbs and have a butchers.

ton

Drac, and when i said some bloke, obviously not a tradesman.
    some tw*t who is wanting to save a bit of money by doing the job himself……….
    **** em, thats what i say………feed em rice……… 😉

fbk
    Free Member

Working today and depressingly busy as everyone crawls out of the woodwork post ice age.

Hopefully out on the bike tomorrow for the first time in far too long 🙂

Drac

I can see why you don't want to deal with them, your so very busy this am you hardly have time to post on here.

Oldgit you right about Screwfix and offer little support, this is why I use local traders then but clearly some are too worthy of helping some customers.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘anyone working……’ is closed to new replies.