Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Anyone work in surveying?
  • ell_tell
    Free Member

I cuurently work for a local council in building facilities management, ensuring our buildings are complying with fire, legionella etc legislation and helping to reach the next level of our sustainability management system.

My degree background is in Environmental Science so I've sort of fallen into this role but find I enjoy the work. However, its only a temp contract and so I'm contemplating a career change and perhaps re-training in building or quantity surveying. From research so far it seems that quantity involves more costing and budget work than building surveying.

Does anyone work in this industry and do you necessarily need a first degree in surveying to enter or are some employers willing to take on staff and train them within the role?

Stoner
    Free Member

Im only in General Practice and qualified as a surveyor many moons ago so am not much help, but I can say that its probably one of the only things the RICS are any bloody use for is their website should outline routes to qualification pretty well.

There are lots of "non-cognate" routes to qualification now. Not surprising since a lot of employers were finding "surveyor" grads to be a bit one dimensional.

http://www.rics.org

QS is mainly budgets and scheme costing and programmes.
    BS more old skool surveying stuff.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

I'm a Building Control officer and the problem you might face is that with out relevant experience you'll be starting as a trainee(ours started at 16k if 21+) we've employed atrainee with enviromental science degree and sent him to do a relevant degree(4years day release)

The other problem you might face is that most LAs' are in a financial hole

good luck

ell_tell
    Free Member

Thanks for the link Stoner. I'm also going to try and take a few days AL from my current role to undertake some work experince if poss.

The other problem you might face is that most LAs' are in a financial hole

Well thats part of the reason for a career change away from the LA. My job with the LA is only temporary and I'm not confident in it being made into a permanent post as they're looking for budget cuts.

andylaightscat
    Free Member

but all it takes is a +20% income increase and we'll be recruiting again
    LA jobs do have some very big plusses

ell_tell
    Free Member

Without a shadow of doubt they do. With my team though they're planning on recruiting a building partner (whatever they are) so I'm a bit wary. Plus the fact I'm part of a small team and the opportunities for progression in the same role are limited hence part of the reason for re-training.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Anyone work in surveying?’ is closed to new replies.