Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Anyone who works in the law – an ethical business or the opposite?
  • brooess
    Free Member

After 15 years in financial services marketing I want to do something a bit more meaningful – where there’s a shared interest in doing something worthy, and pride in doing a good job. Too much acceptance of mediocrity and game-playing in my current line of work…

There are a few jobs out there doing marketing for legal practices, so are lawyers driven by a sense of justice, and right vs wrong or are they much the same as finance? Career-driven, focussed on personal and short term gains…rather than the needs of the wider world…

I’m not a banker basher at all but I do recognise that people who want to make a difference don’t tend to be attracted to financial services… but will doing marketing in a legal practice really be any different, values and culture-wise?

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

both are available

maccruiskeen

Law’s not the first place I’d look – the lawyers roll is to make sure their client is well represented and understands whats going on. Thats it. They’re not moral crusaders (even if it suits their client to sound like one occasionally). Frankly I’ve found people who need the most help from their lawyers to be very poorly served by them.

You’d maybe have more luck exploring the third sector where marketing is campaigning. With the most abhorrant shit storm about to hit our most vulnerable late next year – if you could tender your services to a credit union and help them help folk ride that storm that would be something to be very proud of.

Nipper99
    Free Member

The law is a business like any other – there to turn a profit at the end of the day. Plenty of mediocrity and game playing about – sadly I see it all the time . Some of the bigger city/magic circle type firms make a marketing ploy of community involvement and pro-bono type work so you may be better looking there.

crankboy
    Free Member

Lawyers are human and come in all variants there is a core ethical base to the work . Not to mislead not to lie not to nick clients money etc but at the end of the day they are working to meet their client’s goals , be that to negotiate an arms deal , avoid or minimise liability for an oil spill or not be convicted of robbing a grany.

Personally I view the legally aided work as the more worthy but given the massive funding cuts and current trend to denying customer choice I doubt a legal aid practice could afford or need a marketing person.

sas
    Free Member

Financial services marketing = persuading people to give money to large banks. Why not turn it around, join a charity, and use your skills to persuade large banks to donate money 🙂

maccruiskeen

Why not work for a cold meat manufacturers and market a new brand of double decker ham, a sort of ham for two if you like. You could call it THAMDEM

Just a thought 🙂

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Lawyers are the scum of Capitalism.

Nipper99
    Free Member

how do you work that one out monkey?

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Anyone who works in the law – an ethical business or the opposite?’ is closed to new replies.