• This topic has 150 replies, 45 voices, and was last updated 14 years ago by MSP.
Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)
  • Anyone watching Sky News
  • flippinheckler
    Free Member

I don't read the Daily Mail at all or any other newspaper for that matter on a regular basis, so its rather presumptuous of you to think that. Its common knowledge that Labour have lost control of immigration.

Lifer
    Free Member

MSP – Member

"Mention immigration on here at your peril as you will be branded xenophobic a bigot or a racist ffs! Are there a lot of Guardian reading public sector worker on here or something."

A lot of us are just able to draw information and conclusions from other sources than the daily mail letters page.

Sources with facts? You can prove anything with facts

Lifer
    Free Member

Its common knowledge that Labour have lost control of immigration

How so?

MSP

I made a presumptuous reply to a presumptuous comment by you ***irony alert***

grumm
    Free Member

Its common knowledge that Labour have lost control of immigration.

See that's exactly the kind of unsubstantiated crap that suggests bigotry.

Common knowledge? Based on what?

dazh

Mention immigration on here at your peril as you will be branded xenophobic a bigot or a racist ffs! Are there a lot of Guardian reading public sector workers on here.

If you can describe one 'problem' to do with immigration that isn't based on a discriminatory bias towards indigenous white people then I'm all ears. The trouble is, no one likes being called a racist, but if the cap fits…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Put aside the legitimate immigrants who have visas and are working legally in the uk and are contributing to the economy, then focus on the many illegal immigrants who are not dealt with or sent home and start committing crimes and use the human right laws as a loop hole to stay in the uk, so the government has lost control over illegal immigrants and asylum seekers and if British citizens white or from other ethnic origin are unable to get housing as immigrants are being given priority for social housing & jobs that would otherwise be taken by British nationals then a gap appears about the balance of fairness. There is a big shift in population breakdowns in cities of a ratio around 70/30, whilst in some areas it works well, there are many cities were tensions have arisen as a result. There is a problem with immigration in the UK whether you chose to acknowledge it or not. Because you have a concerns about immigration does not make you racist.

grumm
    Free Member

many illegal immigrants who are not dealt with or sent home and start committing crimes and use the human right laws as a loop hole to stay in the uk, so the government has lost control over illegal immigrants and asylum seekers and if British citizens white or from other ethnic origin are unable to get housing as immigrants are being given priority for social housing & jobs that would otherwise be taken by British nationals

OK, so where are you getting your facts from about all these asylum seekers who commit crimes and use the human rights laws, and get priority over British people for council houses? Genuinely interested.

MSP

British citizens white or from other ethnic origin are unable to get housing as immigrants are being given priority for social housing

No evidence of immigrants being given priority, but there has clearly been a failure of housing policy over the past 30 years. A lack of funding for social housing now means that there is a massive shortfall in the requirements for everyone. And planning policy has pushed the price of housing up beyond affordable levels for everyone, even allowing for the recent falls I expect that a hell of a lot of people could not afford to buy the house they are living in at current market values.

As for jobs, employment legislation has created an employment market based on cheap tempory work, even permanent jobs are so unsecure as to be barely worth describing as a permanent position.

These problems are not caused by immigration, their roots are very much in economic strategies plaid out over the past 30 years, its justz easier to blame the weakest and most vulnerable members of society rather than those with power, money and influence that have actually caused them.

Lifer
    Free Member

Asylum is a completely different issue to immigration.

backhander
    Free Member

bigoted shit like "british jobs for british workers"

WTF is bigoted about that?
    Whats bigoted about being concerned about immigration?it doesn't imply racism or that people do not want any immigrants, just that many are concerned about the sheer amount. I'm certainly no right winger or racist but we know that we have a problem with health tourists and we also know that we're attracting many undesirable/criminal elements from europe and other places.
    Get off your high horse and try to understand what people are trying to say rather than screaming xenophobia at every opportunity.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Whats bigoted about being concerned about immigration?it doesn't imply racism or that people do not want any immigrants, just that many are concerned about the sheer amount.

What it does imply, is that many people are woefully ignorant of the reality of immigration. The tabloids and BNP, UKIP etc would have people believe that the UK is being 'flooded' by immigrants. That's simply not true. Real figures show that net migration is actually falling. So, much of the anti-immigration crap that keeps being spouted is just bigoted ignorance.

I'm certainly no right winger or racist but we know that we have a problem with health tourists and we also know that we're attracting many undesirable/criminal elements from europe and other places.

😆

backhander
    Free Member

Do you have a problem with my last comment talkmade?
    Oh, and do you work for the sun newspaper or not?
    "we" as in the UK. Should I not count myself as part of the UK and have used "they" instead?
    So, do you work for the Sun newspaper?

tyger
    Free Member

It's also the issue of immigrant family growth in the UK.

dazh

Put aside the legitimate immigrants who have visas and are working legally in the uk and are contributing to the economy, then focus on the many illegal immigrants…

I see so it's illegal immigrants who are the problem. Well as I see it illegal immigrants have 3 options:

1. Go back where they came from. Probably not going to happen considering whatever circumstances brought them here in the first place.

2. Claim asylum on the basis of the circumstances which brought them here. A much more difficult process than the tabloid media would have people believe, which can involve being put in a detention centre, living in a charity run hostel and being banned from working (legally) and claiming benefits.

3. Go underground, work in slave like conditions with no legal protection, spending their entire life hiding from the authorities, and living in slum like conditions or with family/friends.

In either of the scenarios above there's not much scope for either claiming benefits, taking 'our' jobs, or generally leeching off the honest hard working British taxpayer. The 'immigrants' who by popular myth claim 'our' benefits, take 'our' jobs and use 'our' services are probably in most cases either:

1. British with a different ethnic origin to the indigenous white people.
    2. Legal immigrants who have official permission to be resident, work visas etc.
    3. EU Citizens who have a legally enshrined right to free movement and labour in this country.

So where is this army of immigrants who leech off the benefits system and public services or unfairly take jobs off the hard-working white working class? My guess is they don't exist, and the entire issue is simply a smokescreen for the fact that a lot of people don't like foreigners doing better than them or having a better quality of life. It's all just jealousy.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Tyger, do go on, please….

backhander
    Free Member

Are you going to answer the question fred?

Woody
    Free Member

Ignore Talky, he's so blinkered that you are wasting your breath.

However…………………..

That's simply not true. Real figures show that net migration is actually falling.

Lets see the source of these 'facts' Talkemada. No doubt you will prove them true, even though the government has admitted that it has no idea and can only estimate the real figure. More interestingly and relevant to the actual 'cost' of immigration/emigration, can you provide some info on these 'net' figures as to the qualifications (for want of a better word) of those leaving and those coming to 'work' in the UK.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Lets see the source of these 'facts' Talkemada.

In my post above. Link to the Office for National Statistics website. Probably more accurate than MigrationWatch or other xenophobic bullshit websites.

As for being 'binkered'; yeah, right. 'Course I am. How I can only dream of being as enlightened as someone like yourself…

flippinheckler
    Free Member

Considering the government & PM manipulate the stats on immigration we may never know the true extent of the numbers of migrants in the UK, & by the way the British population doesn't just consist of whites and I have never eluded to that, the UK is a small island and already short on housing and our infrastructure is struggling to cope with inadequate expensive rail & road networks. We have a lot of young people unable to find work graduates and students who will need employment.

So what your saying is we should have an open border policy to let all in-sundry in regardless of the consequences, these migrants get access to our full NHS system and is an increasing burden to our public purse.

We are still in recession and need to reduce the national deficit not increase the burden, if migrants want to benefit from what the uk has to offer then they should pay more of a contribution towards healthcare and other benefits they may or maynot be entitled to.

allthepies
    Free Member

It really is good to see you fully back on stream Fred after your graduated return to the forum. Do you have a target date for your next banning and subsequent resurrection/reincarnation or are you just winging it and see how it all pans out ?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing some figures that can prove immigration is actually harming Britain in any quantifiable way…

allthepies: Can't guarantee anything in this life. Apart from the fact that some folk will get pissed off with what I say. Thank God for Free Speech, eh? 😉

I'm sure that unless I actually break any forum rules, then the mods won't have a problem with me. I've no doubt some folk are probably furiously hitting the 'Complain' button on some of my posts, but hey, can't please everyone.

Woody
    Free Member

As for being 'binkered'; yeah, right. 'Course I am. How I can only dream of being as enlightened as someone like yourself…

Enlightened? I asked a question hoping that someone ie. yourself, who is apparently better informed than myself and most of the other 'idiots' on here who dare to question you, would provide an answer.

I can only assume the answer didn't compliment your argument. Why else would you resort to petty sarcasm?

allthepies
    Free Member

>Apart from the fact that some folk will get pissed off with what I say. Thank God for Free Speech, eh?

Amen brother.

backhander
    Free Member

Fred, those figures only go up to 2008, and;
    "An estimated 590,000 people arrived to live in the UK in 2008, the second highest figure on record after 596,000 in 2006."
    So it's climbing (from the previous year).

For the record, I have no problem with legal immigration as long as the immigrants work given the chance. And they should be given a fair chance.
    I have a rather big issue with illegal immigrants.

Fred, I take it you do work for the sun then? Do you feel that you're compromising yourself by remaining in their employment considering that they are supporting the tories?

Talkemada
    Free Member

Actually, I'd be interested in seeing some figures that can prove immigration is actually harming Britain in any quantifiable way…

backhander
    Free Member

Talkemada
    Real figures show that net migration is actually falling.

From the very link to ONS provided by talkemada;

An estimated 590,000 people arrived to live in the UK in 2008, the second highest figure on record after 596,000 in 2006

allthepies
    Free Member

Fred did mention "net" migration though..

Woody
    Free Member

Fred

You have been asked several questions to which you have not replied.

You don't really have to repost your rather ridiculous question in bold as you know that a quantifiable answer is not possible, which is probably why you posted it in the first place to try and look clever…… but failed.

Do you work for the Sun ?

Talkemada
    Free Member

*Sits back, takes a break, has cup of tea*

Mini pork pie, allthepies?

backhander
    Free Member

What relevance is net migration?
    So more Brits are leaving than the previous year? Is that a positive thing?
    It specifically mentions that many of these migrants are going into defined jobs, which would suggest they are professional, qualified people. Brilliant.

allthepies
    Free Member

>What relevance is net migration?

I was only pointing out that you were comparing apples with oranges so to speak 🙂

Trendylefty disclaimer: No offence meant to either said fruit or immigrants, I am not calling you fruit merely using a fruit based analogy.

Woody
    Free Member

It specifically mentions that many of these migrants are going into defined jobs, which would suggest they are professional, qualified people.

Talky knows that, which is why is he is now being silly in a vain attempt to try and distract from the fact he can't produce a reasoned argument.

dazh

So what your saying is we should have an open border policy to let all in-sundry in regardless of the consequences

No what I'm saying is that the current immigration system works quite well, and is based on a rational assessment of how we as a society acquire skills and labour which cannot be provided by the indigenous population. Also, the phrase 'all in-sundry' (sic) betrays underlying prejudice by implying that these foreigners can't possibly be as worthy or desirable as those who are already here.

these migrants get access to our full NHS system and is an increasing burden to our public purse.

Which the vast majority pay for through the taxes they pay whilst working and living here. So yes, damn right they should get full access. Again you're implying that immigrants somehow leech off the state, which simply isn't the case.

We are still in recession and need to reduce the national deficit not increase the burden, if migrants want to benefit from what the uk has to offer then they should pay more of a contribution towards healthcare and other benefits they may or maynot be entitled to.

I'll repeat, the vast majority of non-British people who come here pay the same taxes as everyone else, and so should be entitled to the same services as everyone else. The fact that those service may still be inadequate is a different issue completely.

Talkemada
    Free Member

Talky knows that, which is why is he is now being silly in a vain attempt to try and distract from the fact he can't produce a reasoned argument.

No point in bringing your A-game, when you're only playing Sunday league opposition… 😉

Woody
    Free Member

Quite right Fred but I would hazard a guess that you never even made the the reserve 11 at school. 😉

backhander
    Free Member

I agree with everything dazh says. I also winced at the use of the term "all in-sundry"
    It's the immigrants which don't work that cause the problems/resentment IMO. Actually, it's not just the immigrants, it's all of the lazy bastards, the fake disability claimants and benefit cheats of all and any colour or creed. It's still pretty sh1t when people move to the UK specifically to take advantage of the system.

Talkemada
    Free Member

No I was thrown out of the team for hitting another child in the face with the studded side of a football boot…

Seriously, I can't really be too bothered with this 'argument'. No-one's going to actually come up with any proper evidence that immigration is damaging this nation, so I don't see any point in continuing. I could stay and bait the anti-immigration brigade, but that's a bit antagonistic, negative and unproductive really. I could go and dig out all sorts of stats, data and references to info to back up my 'argument', but what's the point really? Will it change people's thinking? I doubt it, as most folk on here are so set in their ways, that they will dig their heels in even though they know they're wrong.

grumm
    Free Member

It's still pretty sh1t when people move to the UK specifically to take advantage of the system.

Agreed but not as shit as widespread nasty generalisations and racism against lots of perfectly decent people

TheSouthernYeti
    Free Member

Is it just me that thinks the term bigot is not being used correctly at the moment?

I understood it to mean extremist hence why it's normally prefixed with racist, or facist, etc.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 151 total)

The topic ‘Anyone watching Sky News’ is closed to new replies.