Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Anyone waiting for something that's shipping in a container?
  • wwaswas

It may be some time or shipping will cost a lot more if it does.

The seventh biggest shipping company in the world, some of Hanjin’s ships have been seized in China while other ports have banned them from docking and refused to unloads containers for fear that they would not be paid.

As a result, the costing of shipping from Asia to Europe and the USA has jumped by more than 50 per cent in the last week, potentially leading to price increases in the not too distant future, as bike, component, and clothing companies try to absorb the increased cost of shipping from their factories in the Far East.

http://www.cyclingweekly.co.uk/news/product-news/price-spikes-stock-shortages-possible-major-shipping-firm-goes-bankrupt-282123

I hope no small UK co’s re affected – I think they have most to lose from a load of stock being held up indefinitely?

ghostlymachine
    Free Member

I’d suspect that a lot of small companies don’t yet know they are affected as they’ll be using shipping agents or cargo brokers. So they have no idea who is carrying their goods.

I’ve heard that a few larger companies are already in “emergency, sort this shit out” mode as they have (potentially) millions of quids worth of stock in transit. And as mentioned in the article, a 50% jump in shipping costs isn’t insignificant, especially when shipping makes up a significant % of the cost.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)

The topic ‘Anyone waiting for something that's shipping in a container?’ is closed to new replies.