Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)
  • Anyone visited Grand Canyon from Phoenix in one day?
  • DrJ

I have a one day opportunity to do this – has anyone done the same thing, and have any advice on what to do and what to avoid? I know it’s a ridiculously short time, but it’s stuck on a work trip 🙁

spence
    Free Member

It’s doable but will be a long day and an early start to get there with enough time to at least start to appreciate the sight. About a 4 hour drive each way up the 17 to Flagstaff then west on 40 (old 66) and right towards the Canyon. I stayed over night in Tusayan as I had a helicopter flight booked.
    Have done Sedona (about 2/3’s the distance) and back in one day.

If it’s your only chance to get to see the Canyon, go for it. It is quite something to behold.

reluctantwrinkly
    Free Member

not sure about the possibility of one day but it is really at it’s best at sunrise & sunset, you really get the 3d effect when the shadows kick in. It’s still the only sight that has left me speechless. Still awesome even in full light though.

norbert-colon

I did it with work but we went half way, the got in a little plane and flew the rest of the way. It was awesome.

No idea how much it cost, as work paid, but maybe an option if time is tight?

DrJ

Maybe I can set out the afternoon/evening before and stay somewhere en route. Would you recommend anywhere?

brakes
    Free Member

close, but not quite.
    drove from El Paso to Flagstaff via Tucson and Phoenix one day, then Flagstaff to Las Vegas via Lake Powell, the Grand Canyon and the Hoover Dam the next.
    It was a bit of a tick-list tour of the US.

woody2000

Overnighter in Flagstaff?

brakes
    Free Member

I remember Flagstaff being nice.

spence
    Free Member

Overnight in Sedona, another must do sight with the red rocks. Also a bike friendly area. Then take the scenic route through the Slide Rock park to rejoin the 17 north to add to the tour.

vinnyeh

We stayed in one of the xanterra lodges at the south rim. Not very expensive, and worth it for basically just strolling across the road at sunrise. Might be worth doing if you’re only 4 hours drive away.
    Worth noting- we went around mid October, and it was snowing and settling on the road on the drive in.

brakes
    Free Member

I wasn’t that enamored with the Grand Canyon. I think you probably need to fly over it rather than just standing in a car park on a precipice staring into a massive hole… Lake Powell, Monument Valley, Painted Desert, Hoover Dam were a lot more interesting and accessible.

Viewing 11 posts - 1 through 11 (of 11 total)

The topic ‘Anyone visited Grand Canyon from Phoenix in one day?’ is closed to new replies.